Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rock & Roll Joke of Fame

User Info Menu

Default Rock & Roll Joke of Fame

Guess Donna Summer and Public Enemy are more Rock & Roll than Deep Purple? What a joke.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Rock & Roll Joke of Fame

It seems like it is not a Rock and Roll hall of Fame anymore. At least Rush will be inducted in the spring. Maybe they should start a Disco, Rapper Hall of Fame and then maybe the Rock and Rollers will be inducted there lol

User Info Menu

Rush will be inducted into the hall of fame, too
    - Zack

User Info Menu

It usually ends up more about making money. Typical.

User Info Menu

The RnR HoF has always been a joke.

User Info Menu

If there's any football fans here you won't be diappointed if you go to the NFL HOF in Canton Ohio. Also the NHL HOF in Toronto Ontario is good too.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Well it shows you how little they care about the history of R&R to put Donna Summer and Public Enemy in before Deep Purple.I wonder if they do stuff like this as a publicity stunt to get people talking and interested in the event as that is the only reason you would put both those in instead of DP.

Still as least Rush finally got in,about 10 years too late but it`s good to see them there.Would be nice for Iron Maiden or Judas Priest to get in but my hopes aren't high.

User Info Menu

I don't need some stupid franchise to tell me which "rock" bands are famous and need to be reckoned with.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zarrdoss View Post
    I don't need some stupid franchise to tell me which "rock" bands are famous and need to be reckoned with.
    Agreed. I think we all know who is deserving of HOF status, whether they receive it or not. It appears that the R&R HOF only serves to diminish itself with its decisions.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

+ a zillion. The problem with the hall is that the selection committee for the hall of shame, which consists of former Rolling Stone managing editor Jann Wenner, former foundation director for Rolling Stone Suzan Evans, and former writer for Rolling Stone (there is a pattern here) Dave Marsh who are themselves not musicians. But like to use the hall to reflect their own personal tastes rather than the views of the rock world as a whole. And are swayed way to easily by media pressure especially where revenue is concerned. They do not understand Progressive Rock in the least. There can be no other explanation as to why it took so long for a power band like highly successful Rush to take this long to be nominated. And are only being nominated this time because of the public outcry that they know would have happened this time if they were left out again. Even the stupid media is on the Rush bandwagon this time, so the idiots realized they had no choice, not that they wanted it to happen, but because they were forced to. I don't need the hall to tell me which bands were important parts of Rock and Roll History. So until deserving bands like Yes, Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, Traffic, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Pat Benatar, Heart, and many others get in there, and when they stop putting people like Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five??????????, Madonna, is she rock and roll?, Public Enemy, no clue as to who they even are, probably a crap, er....sorry, Rap group, I will still wipe my butt with Rolling Stone magazine, and not care who the hall of idiots are or what they do. Rant over.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Well said Wolvie,well said and I and many more agree with you. Keep RRHF rock and roll man and nothing else. There would be more room for the true R&Rollers if they took out those that do not fit in that category.

User Info Menu

Make everyone happy. Just induct every band. At least every artist that has at least one hit song!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Make everyone happy. Just induct every band. At least every artist that has at least one hit song!

all the best...
    LOL. Not a bad idea. I'll tell the boys.

User Info Menu

Public Enemy? Maybe rap hall of fame, but not so much rock. It's kind of disrespectful to rock to watch it be walked on, but as long as people know it's a joke it's good PR for the musicians.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

so what do you have to do to get into the RnR HoF?
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    so what do you have to do to get into the RnR HoF?
    I guess it doesn't matter anymore everyone gets in.

User Info Menu

I think they should change it to The Musicians Hall Of Fame ( MHOF) that way it don't matter what genre you play everyone is welcome as a Musicians.

User Info Menu

I think they should change it to The Musicians Hall Of Fame ( MHOF) that way it don't matter what genre you play everyone is welcome as a Musicians.
    Love that idea!
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Cheap Trick is still waiting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    + a zillion. The problem with the hall is that the selection committee for the hall of shame, which consists of former Rolling Stone managing editor Jann Wenner, former foundation director for Rolling Stone Suzan Evans, and former writer for Rolling Stone (there is a pattern here) Dave Marsh who are themselves not musicians. But like to use the hall to reflect their own personal tastes rather than the views of the rock world as a whole. And are swayed way to easily by media pressure especially where revenue is concerned. They do not understand Progressive Rock in the least. There can be no other explanation as to why it took so long for a power band like highly successful Rush to take this long to be nominated. And are only being nominated this time because of the public outcry that they know would have happened this time if they were left out again. Even the stupid media is on the Rush bandwagon this time, so the idiots realized they had no choice, not that they wanted it to happen, but because they were forced to. I don't need the hall to tell me which bands were important parts of Rock and Roll History. So until deserving bands like Yes, Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, Traffic, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Pat Benatar, Heart, and many others get in there, and when they stop putting people like Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five??????????, Madonna, is she rock and roll?, Public Enemy, no clue as to who they even are, probably a crap, er....sorry, Rap group, I will still wipe my butt with Rolling Stone magazine, and not care who the hall of idiots are or what they do. Rant over.
    Steven Van Zandt, John Sikes, Paul Schaffer, should all be ashamed of themselves for their poor judgement. Being in the Cleveland area, it is no secret how ridiculous these "nominees" even are considered. At least the Grateful Dead exhibit is worth checking out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    Steven Van Zandt, John Sikes, Paul Schaffer, should all be ashamed of themselves for their poor judgement. Being in the Cleveland area, it is no secret how ridiculous these "nominees" even are considered. At least the Grateful Dead exhibit is worth checking out.
    Don't understand what you mean by that cause I haven't seen any mention of Van Zant, Sikes or Shaffer in this post.

User Info Menu

Don't understand what you mean by that cause I haven't seen any mention of Van Zant, Sikes or Shaffer in this post.
    They are musical directors and production managers for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony's I think. Which has nothing to do with the actual inductions of artists. They just produce the shows at the induction ceremony.
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    19" Paragon China
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Maybe it's more of a numbers game than anything else? Perhaps the hall of fame is purely a status awarded to whoever makes the most money in music for the said period of time? Like an employee performance chart, at a job - using financial records instead of stars or checkmarks.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Maybe it's more of a numbers game than anything else? Perhaps the hall of fame is purely a status awarded to whoever makes the most money in music for the said period of time? Like an employee performance chart, at a job - using financial records instead of stars or checkmarks.
    That's exactly how it is being ran right now with those idiot "yes" men heading the nomination committee. I'm saying that's one of the bigger problems with the hall of shame. If you call it "The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame", then it should be inducting rock and roll bands, not Rap, not Pop, not whoever is hot and financially viable right now. That's what I hate most about these corporate glad handing prima donna's. Have them create a separate hall of fame for crap and pop music, etc. Or separate divisions within the hall to accommodate these different venues. Roy Orbison is not rock and roll. Madonna is not rock and roll. As far as I am concerned, the hall doesn't exist.
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    19" Paragon China
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Well said Wolvie,well said and I and many more agree with you. Keep RRHF rock and roll man and nothing else. There would be more room for the true R&Rollers if they took out those that do not fit in that category.
    Rush aren't true rock n rollers if you want to go by your standard. Aren't they more progressive? They should be in a hall of fame of their own along with Yes, King Crimson and bands like that. True rock n rollers would be like Grand Funk, ZZ top, Areosmith, Skynard, J. Geils, Bob Seger etc...

Just wondering...has Rush ever had an AM hit?

all the best...