Thread: Do I Need A New Drum Teacher?

JellyRollz Guest

Default Do I Need A New Drum Teacher?

I'm 17 years old and I just started taking drum lessons a month ago. My drum teacher is a cool guy he's young and only started playing drums 4 years ago. I like him as a person and I think that's important to have in a teacher so you don't hate him/her, but he's not very good at playing drums. First few lessons he taught me how to read a few notes and how to play basic beats and now I'm learning how to play Sweet Child O' Mine. But I he didn't teach me any techniques or fills, rudiments, paradiddles, rolls etc. I want to actually know how to play the drums before I start playing songs. Also when he tries to teach me a part of the song he messes up many times before he gets it down. I want a great teacher that can sit at the drums a play a crazy solo or at least be able to play very very well. Should i just stick it out and learn what he shows me since I'm just starting out and I'm a beginner? Should I find another teacher? PLEASE HELP!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Do I Need A New Drum Teacher?

He probably understands that most kids don't enjoy learning technical things, especially to start off with; many teachers begin fun to get kids interested, then go into theory to the extent that suits the student. Try talking to him and asking for a more technical approach to the lessons, if you still aren't satisfied then politely find a new teacher. Depending on the pay you may be getting a deal to work with a guy whose a bit more inexperienced in comparison to an established drummer.

User Info Menu

Honestly, it wasn't after I had been playing consistently for well over a decade and a half, lost count of rehearsals with all sorts of bands within a large number of genres, learned with a bunch of experienced teachers, gigged, recorded and logged in God knows how many kilometres of travel before I even thought about being in a position of teaching. In fact, when I did my music course and got my qualification the staff there found I was more experienced than the guy that was in the teaching position in the first place!

The bottom line though is whether or not anyone has course qualification, the most important thing that I would look for in any music teacher is the playing experience, confidence and thorough knowledge of their chosen instrument. And of course their personality and the way he or she can make learning a pleasant experience count as well, but first and foremost any teacher's priority is to pass down some good solid technique and fundamentals. If whoever you're learning with can't even give you a shred of that, don't waste your time.

Even if you have to pay a bit more, get a good teacher, because that will set you on a proper course of your playing life. Or as the saying goes "pay peanuts, you get performing monkeys."
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

maybe your teacher is waiting for you to master what you already know so he can move on the next skill set....maybe not

User Info Menu

in my opinion, yes, get a new teacher because if hes not good (or even decent), he shouldn't be teaching, ESPECIALLY if hes teaching you bad habits (which he may think is normal) or giving your incorrect information...

but I don't know if thats the case.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpatzST View Post
    in my opinion, yes, get a new teacher because if hes not good (or even decent), he shouldn't be teaching, ESPECIALLY if hes teaching you bad habits (which he may think is normal) or giving your incorrect information...
    ^This exactly. If your teacher is teaching bad habits, not showing you the basics or teaching good technique, time to move on. Good for you for recognizing this.

User Info Menu

^ Oh hell yeah......nothing like spending time correcting bad habits that were either not picked up by the previous teacher, or passed on by that same teacher (rolls eyes).

I hear it's a worse fate faced by piano and violin teachers as well as those that teach various horn and woodwind instruments when they have students that come in with bad habits and techniques. A violin teacher I know, for example, used to grit his teeth when he got a student that had been taught the 'Suzuki method' (Paddy took lessons from a very strict Russian teacher for years, who hammered home the necessary skills for sight reading, proper bowing technique and so on)....after a while he felt it became a bit like Groundhog Day, going over and correcting posture, bowing and even counting when playing. Poor bugger, used to feel sorry for him.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Knowing nothing other than what you posted, you teacher doesn't sound qualified.

User Info Menu

You need a new teacher.

He is still learning. A teacher should be able to tell you more. And fundamentals are key.

I like my teacher because he has so much experience that even if I have a question about stage presence he can help me. But if my hand is looking like my grip is slightly off he lets me know.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JellyRollz View Post
    I'm 17 years old and I just started taking drum lessons a month ago. My drum teacher is a cool guy he's young and only started playing drums 4 years ago. I like him as a person and I think that's important to have in a teacher so you don't hate him/her, but he's not very good at playing drums. First few lessons he taught me how to read a few notes and how to play basic beats and now I'm learning how to play Sweet Child O' Mine. But I he didn't teach me any techniques or fills, rudiments, paradiddles, rolls etc. I want to actually know how to play the drums before I start playing songs. Also when he tries to teach me a part of the song he messes up many times before he gets it down. I want a great teacher that can sit at the drums a play a crazy solo or at least be able to play very very well. Should i just stick it out and learn what he shows me since I'm just starting out and I'm a beginner? Should I find another teacher? PLEASE HELP!!!
    Sounds to me like you are throwing your money away. I'd look for a more seasoned / experienced teacher.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Knowing nothing other than what you posted, you teacher doesn't sound qualified.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    You need a new teacher.

He is still learning. A teacher should be able to tell you more. And fundamentals are key.

I like my teacher because he has so much experience that even if I have a question about stage presence he can help me. But if my hand is looking like my grip is slightly off he lets me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpatzST View Post

but I don't know if thats the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    ^This exactly. If your teacher is teaching bad habits, not showing you the basics or teaching good technique, time to move on. Good for you for recognizing this.
    I think this sums up your answer.

User Info Menu

FURTHERMORE, il teach you for free (or at least show you some stuff). pm me
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Based on your description of your teacher my opinion is you probably should find a new one.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Welcome to drumchat Jelly! If he is inexperienced, that's one bad thing. If he is messing up while teaching you, that's two bad things. The way I see it you will pick up bad habits from him, even though you get along with him. You can either teach yourself through watching instructional videos and webpages online, or find a different teacher with more of a handle on things you teach you proper technique from the get go. It's nothing personal to that guy, but staying with him will hurt you in the long run.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Being you had enough doubt to ask the question, I think you already know the answer.

User Info Menu

^Zing! If you have doubts, trust them. Your gut feeling can't lie to you, it knows the way. Besides, you don't wanna be paying to learn from a teacher who is still a student themselves, do you? I mean, unless you are content teaching each other but paying him to hang out with you while this goes on. It doesn't seem like a very good situation to me.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Sounds like your teacher was looking for a way to supplement his earning capabilities. And is jumping the gun by claiming he is a teacher with only 4 years of drumming under his belt. No way is he knowledgeable enough to be able to teach yet. You don't need a license to teach the drums, right? So pretty much anyone could claim they are a teacher. Find a new teacher that has been teaching in the area for a while. Usually a music store is a good place to find a teacher. Good luck.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Depending on the size of your town, it may be a "big fish, little pond" scenario. In other words, if you live in a small town, there is probably a very limited amount of folks that play drums. In addition, there may be an even smaller population of drummers that actually want to teach. The picture below could have very easily been me in the mid-1990s:

Along with the others, if you don't feel like you are learning or are questioning the skill of your teacher, then you need a new teacher.