Thread: Paragon vs. Holy China

User Info Menu

Default Paragon vs. Holy China

Recently I got a big crack in my 19" AAX Xtreme china and I'm looking for a replacement, i've come to the conclusion that I want either the 19" Paragon or the 19" Holy China, I like the sound of both of them a lot.

If it helps I play in a metal band but I play a lot of other kind of stuff when i'm just practicing by myself, i'm really into progressive stuff too.

You should all give your opinions of those 2 china's and maybe even recommend any other good chinese cymbals. (Preferably Sabian)
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you octopus?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Paragon vs. Holy China

All 3 are excellent chinas. I'd rage with any of them.

User Info Menu

I've never played on a Holy Cymbal. But I actually have a 19" Paragon and I love it. Sucks that you broke your cymbal. Have you heard about cymbal springs? They are made to allow your china to move freely and are supposed to prevent stresses. They were originally made for china's, but work well with all cymbals.

Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    I've never played on a Holy Cymbal. But I actually have a 19" Paragon and I love it. Sucks that you broke your cymbal. Have you heard about cymbal springs? They are made to allow your china to move freely and are supposed to prevent stresses. They were originally made for china's, but work well with all cymbals.

Thanks! I'll definitely check and see if I can get some cymbal springs, they sound like they would probably help a lot!

User Info Menu

Metal? Holy China. The paragon flexes a bit too much. Sounds great though.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

Or you could save 90% and get a real trashy sound and just buy a 20" wuhan... just saying.. (I have a 18" and 20" wuhan. Other then that i have all professional cymbals, Z Custom, A Custom, Meinl Byzance.) You just cant beat the wuhans sound vs price ratio.
    Life, like drumming, is only as good as you make it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brknsgnfcncdrummer View Post
    Or you could save 90% and get a real trashy sound and just buy a 20" wuhan... just saying.. (I have a 18" and 20" wuhan. Other then that i have all professional cymbals, Z Custom, A Custom, Meinl Byzance.) You just cant beat the wuhans sound vs price ratio.
    +1. I love my 18" Wuhan. The durability might be a concern though. If he managed to break his AAX, I think he might make quick work of a Wuhan. Either way, they are only around $50, so it wouldn't be a really big deal either.
    Sabian Squad (Albeit Ironically )

Check out my Youtube Channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/AustVaiv?feature=mhee

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brknsgnfcncdrummer View Post
    Not a big fan of Wuhans, they're a little too trashy for me. I've only ever owned a 16" though, not sure what the 18"s are like.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NedgarAllanPoe View Post
    Not a big fan of Wuhans, they're a little too trashy for me. I've only ever owned a 16" though, not sure what the 18"s are like.
    Then they probably aren't the best then, very very trashy. I can vouch for Zildjian Oriental Trash china's, but they're not Sabian, like you specified. Holy China's are pretty good, though!

ZK
    Sabian Squad (Albeit Ironically )

Check out my Youtube Channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/AustVaiv?feature=mhee

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ZildjianKid234 View Post
    Then they probably aren't the best then, very very trashy. I can vouch for Zildjian Oriental Trash china's, but they're not Sabian, like you specified. Holy China's are pretty good, though!

ZK
    Yeah i've heard a lot of good stuff about the Oriental china's but i'm more of a Sabian guy. It also doesn't help that my local music store doesn't have the best selection of stuff.

User Info Menu

So i'm going out to my local music store to pick up one of these china's, i'm still not 100% sure on which one i'm getting, but i'm getting a cymbal spring while i'm out there for sure.

User Info Menu

Wuhan, if they are good enough for Peart.......

User Info Menu

I had a Wuhan before, they're a little too trashy for my liking.

User Info Menu

Give a Zildjian Z3 China a try while your at the drum store. I almost bought one but the price was more then I was willing to spend at the time so I went with a Kasza China for $100.00, these sound great as well if you can find them,

User Info Menu

I'm not much of a zildjian player, but I looked and they don't have a z3 china, or the other one. They had a 16" Oriental, but still not for me and I wanted at least an 18" china. I ended up getting the 19" Holy china and a cymbal spring. Oh man is it loud.

User Info Menu

I was contemplating getting some of those but I've read reviews that say because they are attached with a screw it knackers the thread on the end of the cymbal stand. Is this right?
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dodeska View Post
    I was contemplating getting some of those but I've read reviews that say because they are attached with a screw it knackers the thread on the end of the cymbal stand. Is this right?
    That is something I noticed earlier, but I was jamming with my band for about 2 hours and giving the new china a little work out and I just looked at what you're talking about. I took off the cymbal spring, the threads are a little bit flattened but you can still get the wing nut on so it's not that big a deal. Plus I think the life of my cymbal is more important than the life of those threads.

User Info Menu

That is something I noticed earlier, but I was jamming with my band for about 2 hours and giving the new china a little work out and I just looked at what you're talking about. I took off the cymbal spring, the threads are a little bit flattened but you can still get the wing nut on so it's not that big a deal. Plus I think the life of my cymbal is more important than the life of those threads.
    Yep, this. There isn't any movement where the screw tightens down on the threads, so it is only going to be a compression issue. And if you look at it again, where the screw cranks down on the threads, it is quite a bit toward the bottom of the post, so your wing nut would never have to be threaded that low to begin with. I can live with the minor damage to the stem in order to protect my cymbals. I have them on all my pies. I like them cause my cymbals sound better using these due to the fact that they barely touch any part of the cymbal.
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    19" Paragon China
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Yep, this. There isn't any movement where the screw tightens down on the threads, so it is only going to be a compression issue. And if you look at it again, where the screw cranks down on the threads, it is quite a bit toward the bottom of the post, so your wing nut would never have to be threaded that low to begin with. I can live with the minor damage to the stem in order to protect my cymbals. I have them on all my pies. I like them cause my cymbals sound better using these due to the fact that they barely touch any part of the cymbal.
    Thats exactly how I feel, although it is a little annoying when my china is flying back and forth when I hit it hahaha I guess it's a small price to pay for it to hopefully live longer!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info guys. It's good to know.
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

Thats exactly how I feel, although it is a little annoying when my china is flying back and forth when I hit it hahaha I guess it's a small price to pay for it to hopefully live longer!
    That's why I don't use cymbal springs, way to much flopping around. Proper use of felts , the correct tightening of the wing nut, and correctly playing the cymbal is all you need.

User Info Menu

It's just a matter of adjusting your technique and timing with the cymbal movement. Haven't experienced a situation where it changed the timing of the song yet. Just like everything else it takes a little practice. It comes back at you with the same energy you used to send it, so that's the adjustment. Hard and fast, it comes back fast and hard. Smooth and mellow, comes back mellow and smooth. I like the fact that I don't have to mess with a concave washer, 2 felts, a sleeve, and a wing nut anymore. Plus the way it lets the cymbals resonate better. To each his own. Happy drumming.
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    19" Paragon China
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

It's just a matter of adjusting your technique and timing with the cymbal movement. Haven't experienced a situation where it changed the timing of the song yet. Just like everything else it takes a little practice. It comes back at you with the same energy you used to send it, so that's the adjustment. Hard and fast, it comes back fast and hard. Smooth and mellow, comes back mellow and smooth. I like the fact that I don't have to mess with a concave washer, 2 felts, a sleeve, and a wing nut anymore. Plus the way it lets the cymbals resonate better. To each his own. Happy drumming.
    Very true, I use it for my china so usually it's not a big issue, but when I try to throw it into small blasts it gets annoying but I'll get used to it. And I've noticed already that setting it up is less of a pain in the *** because I don't have to deal with all those things you listed, just one little plastic nut and the neoprene piece stays attached.

User Info Menu

I'm not much of a zildjian player, but I looked and they don't have a z3 china, or the other one. They had a 16" Oriental, but still not for me and I wanted at least an 18" china. I ended up getting the 19" Holy china and a cymbal spring. Oh man is it loud.
    That's what I've heard about the Holy Chinas...I almost bought one, but a large part of what I do is smaller clubs/venues, and 'controlled sound' type gigs. I was afraid I'd never be able to use it.

I have a 19" AAXtreme China, just like the one you broke. Love it!
    OCDP Avalon - Red Sparkle
    10-12-14-16-22
    Crush Chameleon Birch - White-on-white
    10-12-14-16-22
    Pearl Session Elite - red lacquer
    10-12-13-14-16-22
    Pearl Export EXR - Orange Swirl
    12-14-16-24

Pearl Joey Jordison Sig Snare
    Ludwig 14x5 1963 Acrolite Snare
    Ludwig 14x5 Standard Snare
    OCDP 14x7 Microvent Snare
    OCDP 14x6 Avalon Snare
    Crush 14x6 Chameleon Snare
    Mapex 13x3 Piccolo Snare

Sabian Cymbals
    14" AAXplosion Hats
    14" HHX Evolution Hats
    14" AA Med Hats
    22" AAX Metal Ride
    20" AA Medium Ride
    20" Pro Ride
    17" AAXplosion Crash
    18" AAXplosion Crash
    19" AAXplosion Crash (2)
    20" AAXplosion Crash
    19" Vault Crash (2)
    19" AAXtreme China
    10" HHX Splash

Wuhan Cymbals
    12", 16" & 18" Chinas
    15", 17", 18" Crashes
    8" & 12" splashes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tadly View Post
    That's what I've heard about the Holy Chinas...I almost bought one, but a large part of what I do is smaller clubs/venues, and 'controlled sound' type gigs. I was afraid I'd never be able to use it.

I have a 19" AAXtreme China, just like the one you broke. Love it!
    Honestly I don't think the Holy China is much louder than the AAXtreme was when it was new, but the Holy China is a lot easier to open up and it doesn't take much to get a nice and cutting sound from it. And for some reason I found the AAXtreme to be really piercing and annoying sometimes, but the Holy China just sounds better IMO.