Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drumbledore's Paiste Cymbal Collection.

User Info Menu

Default Drumbledore's Paiste Cymbal Collection.

Well, as promised somewhere in an earlier post, thought I'd put up some pictures of the various Paiste cymbals I've collected over the years. I do own a few other brands like Zildjians, UFIPS and others, but the vast majority are these Swiss and German made beauties. Some of them I've had the chance to clean, others will have to be cleaned whenever I get the time to get around to it.

I'll start with posting the pics of them in various "groups"....rides, splashes etc.

RIDES:

Left to right, top row: 2002 Black Label 20" Medium, 505 20 " Ride, old model Sound Formula 20" Full Ride, 2000 Sound Reflections 20" Ride.
    Bottom row: old model Sound Formula 602 15" Ride/Crash, 2002 18" Medium.

Last edited by Drumbledore; 12-19-2012 at 02:47 AM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drumbledore's Paiste Cymbal Collection.

Continued....

HI-HATS:

Left to right, top row: 2000 Sound Reflections 14" Heavy Hi-Hat, Signature 13" Dark Crisp Hi-Hat.
    Bottom row, left to right: 2002 12" Sound Edge Top (trimmed from a 14")/400 Splash as bottom cymbal, Sound Formula Reflector 13" Medium Heavy Hi-Hat

User Info Menu

Continued....

SPLASHES AND EFFECTS:

Left to right, top row: Formula 602 11" & 10" Heavy Bells, 2002 RUDE 10" Splash, 3000 RUDE 8" Splash.
    Left to right, middle row: 3000 8" Bell, 2002 8" Bell, Dimensions 8" Thin Splash, Signature 8" Splash, 7.5" 2000 Sound Reflections "China Splash" (cut down from an old cracked 14" China).
    Left to right, bottom row: 2002 6.5", 6", 5.5" & 5" Cup Chimes, Alpha 3.25" Bell (cut from an 8" Splash, 2002 3.5" Bell (cut from an 8" Splash).

Top row: 2002 20" & 18" China.
    Middle row: Twenty Series 8" Mini China.
    Bottom row: 2002 18" Novo China, old model Alpha 18" China.

CRASHES:

Top row: 2002" Black Label 22" Crash, 1000 RUDE 18" Crash/Ride, 2000 Sound Reflections Power Crash, Sound Formula 18" Thin Crash.
    Middle Row: old model Alpha 16" Thin Crash, 2000 Sound Reflections Crash, 2002 Heavy Crash (slightly trimmed), Signature 14" Crystal Thin Crash.
    Bottom row: 3000 16" Thin Crash (trimmed down from 18"), 2002" 14" Crash (cut from 16"), Sound Formula 602 12" Thin Crash (trimmed from a 16"), 2002 16" Crash (cut from 18").
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 12-19-2012 at 02:50 AM.

User Info Menu

Continued......

User Info Menu

Impressive collection mate

User Info Menu

Good Lord. That collection must add up to over 7000 dollars or something.
    Last edited by imnotverygood9; 12-19-2012 at 04:45 PM.
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

Holy gajeebs ! I think I will just go crawl in a corner. Even Portney would be impressed. I must say, I really enjoyed exploring your collection and must thank you for taking the time to set them up and photograph for us.
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

User Info Menu

Awesome. So, what's your absolute favorite out of all of them?

User Info Menu

WOW -- I've seen music stores that don't have that many good cymbals.

Also -- it just dawned on me that I've never owned a Paiste cymbal.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Dang Michael!!!! That's some collection of Paiste my friend...the pics when on and on and on.....so many it was kinda of mind boggling.

User Info Menu

Wow DD! Amazing collection there.

I'm not really sure what a splash sounds like. is it a trashy sounding cymbal?
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

Bad case of gas mate? lol
    Tama Rockstar & Paiste User and Abuser......

User Info Menu

Great collection DD! Only fancy drummers use splashes...lol. I see some cut downs, how do they sound? Which cymbals are you more partial to?

User Info Menu

Whoa! That's quite an impressive collection! You pros have all the fun!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Love the collection! I myself am finding vintage Paiste stuff very interesting and i fear my collection will soon look like yours! Lol

User Info Menu

Thanks for the responses guys. When I get the chance, I'll bit by bit put up the individual photos that I took of all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by imnotverygood9 View Post
    Good Lord. That collection must add up to over 7000 dollars or something.
    It could well be worth more on our side of the planet, not sure, gonna have to do a rough calculation or estimate.

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialAnthony View Post
    Awesome. So, what's your absolute favorite out of all of them?
    That's pretty hard to pinpoint. It's almost like trying to say who's your favourite niece or nephew. I like them all basically! And when you say stack crashes on chinas or splashes on crashes....even better!

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    ...the pics when on and on and on.....so many it was kinda of mind boggling.
    Lol Rich.....kinda like me posting stuff really!

Quote Originally Posted by jgraham798 View Post
    I'm not really sure what a splash sounds like. is it a trashy sounding cymbal?
    A splash is really a quick sounding small crash. Some can be trashy, depending on their hammering, lathing (in the case of the RUDE splashes, their non-lathing), but most have a quick shimmer, especially the really thin ones. Bells and cup chimes though, are very different, they're small, thick and have a much longer ring duration. You have to use these sparingly and in the right place in the music.

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    I see some cut downs, how do they sound?
    Some are ok, one or two aren't so crash hot (pardon the pun), but I usually have them in stacks. I've even used a couple of them as a trashy auxillary hi-hat, and the 3000 'cut down' even has doubled up as a light ride when played with rods in a very quiet music situation. I've also used the black label 2002 22" crash as a ride very occasionally.

User Info Menu

wow nice collection. Remember that Sound Formula logo the kinda round one. Did you cut down any of these? and where's the RUDE's? besides the green one.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    wow nice collection. Remember that Sound Formula logo the kinda round one. Did you cut down any of these? and where's the RUDE's? besides the green one.
    Yep, as you can see in the first few pictures that I posted, the 20" Paiste SF Full Ride has the old style round logo. Neither than nor the Sound Formula 18" Thin Crash (with the later logo) have ever been cut down. And besides the 18" 1000 RUDE Crash/Ride, if you look at the collection of splashes, bells and other effects, in the top row you can see my 10" 2002 RUDE Splash (with the last remnant of white logo on it) and the 8" 3000 RUDE Slash (the red ink is completely gone from the top of it nowadays)

User Info Menu

Very impressive collection there DD. I just can't seem to hang on to cymbals I'm not using anymore, so I don't have anywhere near what you got. I do have a few of what you have there though, as I am a Paiste guy. The 16" old school Alpha thin crash is one of my favorites and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I also love the 8" Signature splash. Alphas and Sigs seem to mix together very well.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1DrumBum View Post
    The 16" old school Alpha thin crash is one of my favorites and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I also love the 8" Signature splash. Alphas and Sigs seem to mix together very well.
    They do indeed. The old Alphas and 2002's also blend in together fairly well I find.

User Info Menu

Well.....it just keeps growing, don't it? Lol. Okay, so earlier on Monday of this week, I had to go pop into one of my fave local drum stores to pick up some gaff tape, wing nuts for some clamps and a Gajate bracket (one of those brackets that you can attach a cowbell, block or tambourine and then play it with a foot pedal, for those of you who might not know what it is....named after it's inventor, the Latin percussionist Richie "Gajate" Garcia). Anyhoo, whilst I was in the store shooting the breeze with my mate Nick who runs the place, I spied one these little Paiste Accent cymbals. Picked it up, struck it, and just knew it would be at home within my current percussion set up. Just has that pure ringy overtone when played in the right spot in the music. So that was just AU$59.

Then.....yesterday, after having kept an eye on Gumtree, I finally picked up the courage to spend just that little bit more (as if I hadn't splashed out on enough?? Lol). For ages I've been wanting to get a good flat ride, but very few shops seem to stock them......not a big in-demand kind of cymbal. But they're perfect for certain things in music. So how's this? Not only was the guy selling one of these, but also an old Paiste 22" Formula 602 sizzle ride, you know, one of those with rivets in them? Perfect for brush players! So, ended up paying AU$400 for the pair of those cymbals.....I took my Paiste Full Ride to do a comparison of the three types of ride.....a normal, a flat and a sizzle....plus my old Formula 602 15" Ride/Crash to hear how that would work with the Sizzle Ride, and I also brough my 13" Dark Crisp Hi-hats and 14" Crystal Crash to hear how they would blend with the Flat Ride, which is also from the Signature Series. Oh man.....talk about seventh heaven! Now I've got some really great cymbals to go with my bebop set.....all I have to do now is to find some old Formula 602 hi-hats, and that set will have two Paiste cymbal set options.

Formula 602 (old) 22" Sizzle Ride....top view.

Close up of the stamped logo. Same on on my 15" Ride/Crash.

Close up view of the bottom, showing the rivets.

User Info Menu

Continued...

Paiste Signature 20" Flat Ride.

Top view. Note that it only says "Paiste" on the top.

Bottom view. Interesting to note that unlike the other Signatures I have, the Paiste logo letters are reminiscent of the open lettering that you see on old 2002's and are not in bold black characters.

Close up of the cymbal description.

Just to confirm it, yes, it is a flat ride!
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 01-11-2013 at 05:51 PM.

User Info Menu

^^Wow!! That old formula 602 sizzle ride is something I want to get my hands on!! I love Paiste cymbals!! Man what luck finding it!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    ^^Wow!! That old formula 602 sizzle ride is something I want to get my hands on!! I love Paiste cymbals!! Man what luck finding it!!
    Thanks Rich! Yeah, she's a nice cymbal to play around with. I need to find another cymbal case, they way I've been going with collecting them now, lol. I probably have more than 50 Paiste's so far....so I think opening up a drumstore on my own may not be that far off....lol. J/k.....I wouldn't part with any of these for anything!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    as if I hadn't splashed out on enough?? Lol).
    I see what you did there.

Awesome flat ride! How does that one sound?