Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Gretsch Renown 57 vs. Ludwig Classic Maple

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Default Gretsch Renown 57 vs. Ludwig Classic Maple

    I am reconsidering my thoughts about the Gretsch Renown 57, and am wondering how it compares to the Ludwig Classic Maple. I have found similarly priced kits (5 pc.) on the Guitar Center website (under 1,000 dollars), and am wondering everyone's thoughts on the two. Keep in mind, I play a lot of classic rock: RUSH, Van Halen, Def Leppard, Duran Duran, AC/DC..
    Current Set Up:
    Ludwig 1963 Black Diamond Pearl 20" Bass and 12" Tom
    5 Roto-Toms: 6", 8", 10", 16", 18"
    Premier Chrome Snare
    Zildjian Hi-hats
    Paiste 2002 Reverend Al's Big Ride 24"

    "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice"- Neil Peart

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Gretsch Renown 57 vs. Ludwig Classic Maple

    Quote Originally Posted by ManhattanProject85 View Post
    I am reconsidering my thoughts about the Gretsch Renown 57, and am wondering how it compares to the Ludwig Classic Maple. I have found similarly priced kits (5 pc.) on the Guitar Center website (under 1,000 dollars), and am wondering everyone's thoughts on the two. Keep in mind, I play a lot of classic rock: RUSH, Van Halen, Def Leppard, Duran Duran, AC/DC..
    Not sure you needed to create another thread for this. You really cannot go wrong with either kit. I would peronally go with the Ludwig classic But I think they cost much more than the Renown's too
    http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

    DW Collectors

    Premier Elite Black Sparkle

    Zildjian K Cymbals

    Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing.

    MOST ORCHESTRA'S ARE JUST 1800'S COVER BANDS!

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Gretsch Renown 57 vs. Ludwig Classic Maple

    I think the Ludwig Classics are made in America and Renowns are made in China. I don't know if this is true for the 57's though.

    Renowns are INCREDIBLE but some people are very skeptical of chinese drum factories.
    -Steven

  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Gretsch Renown 57 vs. Ludwig Classic Maple

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    I think the Ludwig Classics are made in America and Renowns are made in China. I don't know if this is true for the 57's though.

    Renowns are INCREDIBLE but some people are very skeptical of chinese drum factories.
    Yeah, the Renown's are made in Taiwan. The Ludwig's are 100% American made. I'm looking for toms full of attack and warmth. From what I've heard online, the Ludwigs sound a little bit more like I want, but I can't be sure. Haven't heard either kit in person and there's no where near me to do that.
    Current Set Up:
    Ludwig 1963 Black Diamond Pearl 20" Bass and 12" Tom
    5 Roto-Toms: 6", 8", 10", 16", 18"
    Premier Chrome Snare
    Zildjian Hi-hats
    Paiste 2002 Reverend Al's Big Ride 24"

    "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice"- Neil Peart

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Gretsch Renown 57 vs. Ludwig Classic Maple

    Quote Originally Posted by ManhattanProject85 View Post
    Yeah, the Renown's are made in Taiwan. The Ludwig's are 100% American made. I'm looking for toms full of attack and warmth. From what I've heard online, the Ludwigs sound a little bit more like I want, but I can't be sure. Haven't heard either kit in person and there's no where near me to do that.
    Listen to The Airborne Toxic Event
    The drummer plays on a Renown kit, 12, 16, 20. and to be honest, It was by far the best sounding kit I have ever heard live. That might have been partly the mics and such but it was incredible round sound drums, full tones.

    That being said my 63 Ludwigs sound freaking sweet, but they are 3 ply with re rings so they boom like cannons.

    MIA is usually better quality than MIC but some kits are exceptional.

    You cannot go wrong, pick a color
    -Steven

  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Gretsch Renown 57 vs. Ludwig Classic Maple

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    Listen to The Airborne Toxic Event
    The drummer plays on a Renown kit, 12, 16, 20. and to be honest, It was by far the best sounding kit I have ever heard live. That might have been partly the mics and such but it was incredible round sound drums, full tones.

    That being said my 63 Ludwigs sound freaking sweet, but they are 3 ply with re rings so they boom like cannons.

    MIA is usually better quality than MIC but some kits are exceptional.

    You cannot go wrong, pick a color
    Wait, as in 1963 Ludwigs?? I have a 1963 Ludwig two piece (14 inch tom and 20 inch kick).

    I'll keep that in mind. Also, can you link that to me? I had trouble finding a recording. I really like Ludwig kicks for their power, and I feel that the toms have a unique sound. I also think the Classic Maples have a better resale value, but the Renown 57's look sweet and come with that matching throne. I wish I could play them and decide, but I can't find a good drum shop near me.
    Current Set Up:
    Ludwig 1963 Black Diamond Pearl 20" Bass and 12" Tom
    5 Roto-Toms: 6", 8", 10", 16", 18"
    Premier Chrome Snare
    Zildjian Hi-hats
    Paiste 2002 Reverend Al's Big Ride 24"

    "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice"- Neil Peart

  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Gretsch Renown 57 vs. Ludwig Classic Maple

    Quote Originally Posted by ManhattanProject85 View Post
    Wait, as in 1963 Ludwigs?? I have a 1963 Ludwig two piece (14 inch tom and 20 inch kick).

    I'll keep that in mind. Also, can you link that to me? I had trouble finding a recording. I really like Ludwig kicks for their power, and I feel that the toms have a unique sound. I also think the Classic Maples have a better resale value, but the Renown 57's look sweet and come with that matching throne. I wish I could play them and decide, but I can't find a good drum shop near me.
    Lol, Yeah!
    1963 Ludwigs. Super Classic model. Blue Sparkle. 13", 16", 22"

    Yeah let me find a good recording to link you. Classic maples might have a better resale because of the made in america part.
    -Steven

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Gretsch Renown 57 vs. Ludwig Classic Maple

    -Steven

  9. #9

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Gretsch Renown 57 vs. Ludwig Classic Maple

    -Steven

  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Gretsch Renown 57 vs. Ludwig Classic Maple

    I have both a Renown and Classic Maple both are fantastic kits..But head choice and a good tuning ear are essential ..Personally i prefer the Ludwig as it's the kit i have wanted for many many years..But as i said the Renown is also a fantastic kit the only difference in the Renown and the Gretsch U.S.A. is the badge and i have played both.
    "PLAY IT LOUD AND PLAY IT PROUD":

  11. #11

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Gretsch Renown 57 vs. Ludwig Classic Maple

    Quote Originally Posted by drumnpk View Post
    ....................the only difference in the Renown and the Gretsch U.S.A. is the badge and i have played both.
    So not true.
    Did you compare the price ?
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)


  12. #12

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Gretsch Renown 57 vs. Ludwig Classic Maple

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    Wow, it does sound good. This will be a tough decision.
    Current Set Up:
    Ludwig 1963 Black Diamond Pearl 20" Bass and 12" Tom
    5 Roto-Toms: 6", 8", 10", 16", 18"
    Premier Chrome Snare
    Zildjian Hi-hats
    Paiste 2002 Reverend Al's Big Ride 24"

    "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice"- Neil Peart

  13. #13

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Gretsch Renown 57 vs. Ludwig Classic Maple

    Quote Originally Posted by drumnpk View Post
    I have both a Renown and Classic Maple both are fantastic kits..But head choice and a good tuning ear are essential ..Personally i prefer the Ludwig as it's the kit i have wanted for many many years..But as i said the Renown is also a fantastic kit the only difference in the Renown and the Gretsch U.S.A. is the badge and i have played both.
    What makes you like the Ludwig's more besides that? I think I'm leaning towards them. I feel as though Ludwig has a really unique sound. Especially tom wise and the powerful bass drums are a key feature.
    Current Set Up:
    Ludwig 1963 Black Diamond Pearl 20" Bass and 12" Tom
    5 Roto-Toms: 6", 8", 10", 16", 18"
    Premier Chrome Snare
    Zildjian Hi-hats
    Paiste 2002 Reverend Al's Big Ride 24"

    "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice"- Neil Peart

  14. #14

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Gretsch Renown 57 vs. Ludwig Classic Maple

    Quote Originally Posted by ManhattanProject85 View Post
    Yeah, the Renown's are made in Taiwan.
    To be more specific, assembled in Taiwan. The Renowns use USA Rock Maple plys similar to the Gretsch kits that are assembled in the U.S.

  15. #15

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Gretsch Renown 57 vs. Ludwig Classic Maple

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    So not true.
    Did you compare the price ?
    I know that..What i was stating was in terms of hardware/bearing edge/build quality..I have a renown stored in my studio and my mate has a USA he brought his to me and we compared both and i can tell you leaving the PRICE aside they only differnece is the BADGE not everything made in the U.S. is better made.
    "PLAY IT LOUD AND PLAY IT PROUD":

  16. #16

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Gretsch Renown 57 vs. Ludwig Classic Maple

    Quote Originally Posted by ManhattanProject85 View Post
    What makes you like the Ludwig's more besides that? I think I'm leaning towards them. I feel as though Ludwig has a really unique sound. Especially tom wise and the powerful bass drums are a key feature.
    It's the Ludwig sound the lighter shells the hoops i am not a fan of die cast hoops which the Renown has and as i said i have always wanted a Ludwig CM..I had a Blue/Olive back around 1988 but it was stolen never to be seen again.So now i own 2 Classic Maples and 3 Blue/Olive one of which is a Black Coretx Vistalite..but it's up to each to decide for themselves go play both and decide..The only minus i would give the Ludwig is the floor tom legs they are far too light and if you sit low like i do the legs tend to slip if you have the floor toms really low as you pass the grip on the legs and end up on the smooth section..The Gretsch floor legs are far superior.
    "PLAY IT LOUD AND PLAY IT PROUD":

  17. #17

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Gretsch Renown 57 vs. Ludwig Classic Maple

    I have a Renown Purewood kit and it is incredible. I can't compare it to the Ludwig Classic because I don't own nor have I played them. However, I do have a 2011 Gretsch Custom USA kit and two very nice 50's Gretsch kits. I like them all....but I will say without a doubt that my Purewoods stack up to my other Gretsch kits in sound and quality no question. Of all my kits I have been playing my Purewoods (African Mahogany) the most over the past five years.

    Having said all the above - I don't think you could go wrong with either the Ludwigs or Gretsch....they both make fine drums and they've been around a long time.

    My two cents.
    Gary

    I pretty much like all drums....
    Gretsch being the drums of my choice since 1969

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •