Thread: Whisperroom again

User Info Menu

Default Whisperroom again

hey all
    I am now in the market for a whisperroom. It will have to be assembled in the garage as the door will not open in one of your bedrooms in the house. I am still concerned about the effectiveness of the room for keeping the noise down for the neighbors. I have done about as much research as possible, to include calling the company and telling them about my situation. It seems I will still need to insulate the garage door, fill in wall-vents, seal gaps and even get an air conditioning unit for the summer. All this work and money to make practicing available.
    Just a reminder -- Drumming is more than a practice, it is a lifestyle.
    Does anyone have any experience with the whisperroom for drums?
    Has anyone been successful in creating a soundproof room for drumming in your neighborhood? I am talking about suburbia here guys.
    Thanks
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

Default Re: Whisperroom again

i live in an apartment, i cant play my drums here , so i bought an e-kit , i put on my headphones and play any time that i want ,, and way cheaper than building a whisper room ....
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

I seem to remember a guy posting about a year and a half ago, that he used egg cartons, and that they really soaked up the sound.

Now whether that's true or not, I don't know. Not even sure it would be practical, but he said it worked.

User Info Menu

I heard about it too in a post somewhere here on this forum. There was so much negativity over his theory that egg cartons do not work. When I was younger 40 years ago or so people used egg cartons for soundproofing etc. Now it is considered a joke.

User Info Menu

Just google this guy.

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design

Any and everything you need to know about sound profing a room.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

you need to build you room within the room, double wall, double door and double glass. egg cartons or foam add to acoustics, nothing more. doesnt make a hill o beans to the neighbors unless you double wall, the cops will show up at 2 am unless you live in my house, pure soundproof. i live in drummers nirvana, 2 deaf people the next house over and a stoner cow milker whose never home on the other side.
    i usually hear at the store up the street, "hey youre that drummer in the red house arent you"?
    i tell them i play for Sammy Hagar and the old farts leave me alone, it works.
    Last edited by kyle102565; 01-08-2013 at 01:14 PM.

User Info Menu

wow thats really cool, never heard of them before. its mega expensive though.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Holy cow! When you figure the average drummer needs about a 6 X 6 space, that sucker will cost you almost $8000 after shipping!

User Info Menu

Just to clarify: egg cartons, foam, carpet, etc... will not work.

The "room within a room" treatment sounds like it would work best in your situation.

I agree with Pops about the John Sayers book, he has a lot of good info about noise reduction in there.
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

My friend built a room within a room in his garage. You can pump up the bass all the way on the big PA speakers that he has and when you get about 8 feet away from the garage, you can't even hear it.

He mic'd and played his drums as loud as he could (and he is HEAVY handed). Nothing. Zero. No sound.

The room is very sound proofed, but the benefits is that you gain access to practice time all the time.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

how does one.. build a room within a room?
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpatzST View Post
    how does one.. build a room within a room?

Good question. Seems to me that it has to be smaller than the original room for starters.

User Info Menu

that it does.
    it costs a pantload to do it right but if thats what you need in order to play at 2am (imagine playing all night and morning!) then look into it.
    ive seen it done in a garage years ago, i actually complained to them, the homeowner built a studio inside his garage and i never saw him again
    Drum magazine had an article months ago that pinpoint what you need to do.
    i like to cut it off at 10:30pm the latest, though i have been known to play at 1am, zero citations.
    my house had the attached garage renovated into a living room, doublewalled due to no heating ducts plus a layer of wood on select walls, tons of insulation, that plus a new mahoghany floor and its prime for music. took 2 years and 4 grand
    Last edited by kyle102565; 01-12-2013 at 12:08 AM.

User Info Menu

You could line a room with mattresses. I bet that would work. ....maybe not...found this...

Five Ways NOT to Soundproof Your Home

There comes a time when you realize you need to soundproof a room. It may be a basement you’re converting into a media room, a spare bedroom you want to turn into a studio, or a nursery you want to make quiet. Whatever the reason, many make the mistake of taking on a “do it yourself” soundproofing project with the hopes of saving money, only to find themselves in trouble down the line.

Most do-it-yourself soundproofing projects cost people more money in the long run. Many assume soundproofing is a simple task. They fail to understand how much research and testing it has taken to develop the science of soundproofing. Some of the more glaring errors people have made are perfect examples are how NOT to soundproof your home. These include:

Empty Egg Cartons

Yes, people have gathered up dozens of empty egg cartons and fastened them to their walls, assuming the shape will somehow absorb sound because they look like those cool, wavy walls you see in recording studios and radio stations. Nope. Doesn’t work like that. Egg cartons are made of completely different materials than the acoustical foam used in sound booths. In fact, the egg cartons may amplify some sounds or cause sound distortion. Regardless, the result won’t be pretty – or soundproof.

Bedding

Mattresses and pillows seem to be a particular favorite of garage bands and attic workshops, but you’re asking for trouble if you start nailing mattresses to your walls or stuffing pillows into every available crevice, inside cabinets, and under sinks. For one thing, mattresses and pillows attract mold, mildew, and dust. You are asking for a full-blown allergy attack at the least and serious illness at worst. The stuffing is just too hard to keep clean and dry – and it’s far too inviting for vermin. A singer of one garage band passed out when a frisky little mouse chewed through the mattress on the wall then dropped into the singer’s hair. Yikes.

Filling your walls

People are creative. Many people think the more “stuff” there is between them and the neighbors, the better for soundproofing. But if you hate listening to every discussion and telephone call, filling the space between your walls isn’t the answer. People have put everything from packing peanuts to sawdust in the space between their walls. Bad idea – wood actually conducts sound quite well. And if you put something in the walls that isn’t up to code, you’re creating a fire hazard. Tsk tsk.

Suddenly those pesky neighbors don’t seem so bad, do they?

Flooring on your walls and ceiling

You’ve probably heard that soft materials absorb more sound, so carpet is better than tile or hardwood floors. This doesn’t mean you should carpet your walls and ceiling - but plenty of people have tried.
    It’s another way to stir up a lot of sneeze-inducing dust and give your room the unfortunate look of a 1970’s, low-budget roller rink. Unfortunately, carpeting your walls and ceiling does little to soundproof your space. Next.

Foam rubber

Yes, foam rubber is another material people throw up on their walls, and no, it doesn’t work any better than carpet or mattresses to deaden sound. We can’t stress this enough – unless the material is specifically engineered to absorb sound, it won’t work. Period. Some people think foam rubber works on walls because putting foam rubber under their washer or dryer absorbs the sound of these machines. It sounds fine in theory, but foam rubber only muffles sound when the source of noise is in direct contact with the rubber – it does nothing to stop sound from traveling through the air. Plus, after a few years, the gummy, sticky rubber on your walls will start to crumble. Eww.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 01-11-2013 at 09:20 PM.

User Info Menu

the concept of the whisperrom is a room within a room. I finally found a drummer that owns one. he says he likes it.
    I have done a ton of research into sound proofing and building. the truth is, i just dont have the time to go out and start building in a rental that is another temporary home, to just tear it down once we move. I am 30 years only and have lived in 34 homes/ i am sure you can understand the resistance to build anything. I can always beef up the garage though to help with the reduction i think
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris