Thread: Drumming Career?

User Info Menu

Default Drumming Career?

I know that we are all drummers and have played gigs and all, but do any of you actually earn your living from it, in other words is drumming your job?

User Info Menu

i believe there is a forum about this allready...but...yes there are a few in here i forget all who....limpy plays profesionally but won't say who for and i believe drummer does too and i forget who else...but yeah it's in another forum somewhere

User Info Menu

Yea its been discussed. There are a lot of pros here but I"m not sure how many play full time.
    Limpy
    *Drum yourself to death

User Info Menu

Default pros

if there are pros here: Do you guys have any tips, tricks and or stories, you would like to share with me?

User Info Menu

Plenty of all but be more specific. What are you interested in hearing? What do you want to know? How long have you been playing? Do you play professionally yourself?

Welcome to Drum Chat!

User Info Menu

here's a tip, don't quit your day job

User Info Menu

Are you having a bad day ZAR99. I don't understand what you ment when you said don't quit your day job. I used to play for a living but realized about 10 years ago that there were no retirement homes for drummers. Now I have 2 jobs with benefits for retirement and play music in my band on Friday & Saturday nights if needed on short notice on Sundays also. Drumming is in my blood. I'll play anytime anywhere. Just tell me where and when. But you have to plan for the future.Choose to make it a great day.

User Info Menu

just joking around man. nothing wrong with playing music for a living.

User Info Menu

hope to someday.. but i highly doubt thats gonna happen cuz im a grl and no one wants grl drummrs.. think we're no good b4 they even hear me play

and i dont really want to start a grl band cuz none of them turn out good... all like ashlee simpson and them who end up not even playing their own music but singing even if half of em cant even sing
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

i hate girl bands too thats why me and my friend decide to make it half and half otherwise we would eiether be a sucky band or playing with people we don`t like ( most of our friends are guys)
    Oh tell me where your freedom lies
    The street are fields that never die.
    Deliver me from reasons why
    You`d rather cry
    I`d rather fly.

User Info Menu

Anyway back to the matter in hand, drummer so hw long have you bn playing and hw long professionly?

User Info Menu

Been playing for 30 years. "Professionally" depends on how you define it. I've been "getting paid" since I was 13. I worked as a full time musician for many years but also worked numerous jobs around it. You know... the usual ... male stripper, sanitation engineer, Mary Kay consultant. Just a few odd jobs.

User Info Menu

Mary Kay......that's funny...lol

User Info Menu

male stripper?!!! ... sanitation engineer?!! LOL

User Info Menu

I once bussed tables at the Playboy mansion. My claim to fame!
    Limpy
    *Drum yourself to death

User Info Menu

well hot dog you've done it all..

User Info Menu

ja get any pitures?

User Info Menu

easy Sea Biscut

User Info Menu

Default is drumming putting food on the table?

Great question, I know that there are a lot of good players out there, and I believe as well as you do that we should be making a living off of this talent that we all posess. But unfortunately, luck, along with being in the right place at the right time is the difference in, let's say, quitting our day job, and ultimately being on the big stage, touring.I like to record, than tour. I would love to land a gig, like on the Letterman Show, or even Emeril, the cook......... What are your thoughts on this Big Question, that we, the brotherhood of Drummers Ask Ourselves, What if???????????????

yours,

the Drumhound

User Info Menu

Default Drumming Career?

Hey, drumhound, I wouldn't mind layin' down a beat on Emeril, either--I dig their music (and I'd be right at home behind those congas!)...it's probably the only food show I watch for the musicians......

I have been told by a few musician friends that, were I on either coast, I could get all the percussion gigs I'd want. Not bad for a dude who started out just wanting to play drums as a hobby--and started serious study relatively late compared to some of my buddies here.

As a career? I have a day job that was my first career passion...and still is. But if the opportunity arose, I would consider it...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I have the utmost respect for you Bongo Bro, for getting serious about drumming later in life. For many people, they're too set in their ways at an older age to do anything serious. They just don't want to work as hard. I'm like you, I'll do whatever it takes to be anything but mediocre. I don't believe in mediocrity.