Thread: Trying different sticks

User Info Menu

Default Trying different sticks

Since I found that I have a liking for the 5B Regal Tip X Series sticks,I am ordering a few pair with the nylon tips instead of wood.While looking I came across the Regal Tip Death EX X-Series Drumsticks With E-Tip. I am buying a pair to check out. The tip is different on them(search for the sticks and you will see what I mean).
    I'll have them Monday or Tuesday of next week and will post a review if I feel the Regal Tip Death EX X-Series Drumsticks With E-Tip are worth a shot or not.
    I like the X Series 5B sticks and will be staying with those.They seem to absorb the shock more then other sticks I have used and I have zero pain in my hands when using them.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Trying different sticks

You should have no pain in your hands no matter what sticks you use.

(More threads about Drumsticks)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    you should have no pain in your hands no matter what sticks you use.
    +1
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

You should have no pain in your hands no matter what sticks you use.
    I agree with that,but every stick I used I had pain until I switched to the 5B Regal Tip X Series sticks.
    My health plays a bit of a role in why I have pain when playing.It usually last anywhere from 10-15 minutes and then I am ok,but with the 5B Regal Tip X Series sticks,I have none. I always do the stretches before I play,between songs if possible,start out playing slower songs to warm up to and invested in a new throne since mine was cheap and not very good on my back and knees. I think I was doing everything properly when using the Vater 5A sticks.
    Something I did notice with the Regal Tip sticks,they wear faster then the Vater sticks do.They are both Hickory and I haven't changed my playing habits. I feel like my playing has also improved with the RT sticks,like I have more control when playing.
    I really don't know why I have no pain for when using the Regal Tip sticks but I can't complain about it,just wish they lasted longer.
    This is kind of what I do before I even pick up any sticks to play.
    [Sorry, had to delete. With the exception of paid advertisers, commercial links are not permitted. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Thx, Tom]

User Info Menu

I like Regal Tip too played them exclusively in the early 90's 4B sticks which they don't make anymore.

I've just been using the SP sticks mainly because of cost. Sometimes I will treat myself to a pair of RT's.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I accidently bought 7A sticks in a hurry, they were in wrong box..
    I use 5A, and I was trying to get 5B's.

Went to trainingplace and realize my error.
    Horrible sticks
    Way too light to get any touch.
    Had a bad session.
    http://www.drumchat.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22600&dateline=135509  2622

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Seba View Post
    I accidently bought 7A sticks in a hurry, they were in wrong box..
    I use 5A, and I was trying to get 5B's.

Went to trainingplace and realize my error.
    Horrible sticks
    Way too light to get any touch.
    Had a bad session.
    Some of the Regal Tip sticks are to light,I ran into that problem once before,bought 5As and they felt like 7As.I gave up on them until I tried the X Series and weight is perfect for me with the 5Bs.I think the 5As would be to light.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn76 View Post
    Some of the Regal Tip sticks are to light,I ran into that problem once before,bought 5As and they felt like 7As.I gave up on them until I tried the X Series and weight is perfect for me with the 5Bs.I think the 5As would be to light.
    i like 5A, wanna try bit heavier.
    Don't like lighter, that came very obvious
    http://www.drumchat.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22600&dateline=135509  2622

User Info Menu

I personally love the Pro-Mark Oak sticks...the wear factor is amazing. I play medium intensity ...now doing one show a week. When I was doing 2 shows a week, a pair of Oak sticks would last me on average about 6 to 8 months, although I would use medium fine sandpaper to remove the cymbal knicks on the stick shaft...I prefer wood tip and thats their 727 wood tip model. Another model of Pro-Mark Oak I use for my rock and blues rehearsals and gigs is the Pro-Mark 747 nylon tip. Those I havent had long enough to even show any wear and tear....about a month now.
    For sticks that "LAST" a long time, you might try one of the Pro-Mark oak stick models.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

i switched to Vater 2451s a year ago, i bought 3 pair and im still playing them today.
    havent bought sticks since.
    they have excellent balance and weight for me.
    its worth a shot to try them though they are kind of slippery.

User Info Menu

Its the finish on the Regal Tips. I suffer from trigger finger in my thumb from years of factory work. That combined with my really dry skin makes un-finished sticks hard to grip. RT's have a heavy finish that gives me a good grip without irrating my thumb.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Its the finish on the Regal Tips. I suffer from trigger finger in my thumb from years of factory work. That combined with my really dry skin makes un-finished sticks hard to grip. RT's have a heavy finish that gives me a good grip without irrating my thumb.

NR, that's my problem also. Do you have any idea which RT sticks would match up to VF AJ 3's?

User Info Menu

I use Vater stick tape on my Los Cabos and they feel comfortable and I haven't had a stick drop or slide out of my hands.

User Info Menu

I have had time to use the X Series nylon tip sticks. they are a little heavier then the wood tips but still,no pain from using them. I also picked up a paid of Regal Tip EX Death sticks. It has a nylon tip but the tip is a little weird so it sounds like a cross of a wood tip and nylon tip to my ears. Kind of in the middle of the 2. Not a bad stick,about the same weight as the 5B X series sticks but I think I will be sticking the with X Series 5B sticks for awhile.

User Info Menu

NR, that's my problem also. Do you have any idea which RT sticks would match up to VF AJ 3's?
    I'm honestly not sure Rick.

User Info Menu

My advice is just look at RT's website and see what they offer. I know I am pretty satisfied with the X Series sticks and will not be using Vater sticks again. The RT sticks don't hold up as well as
    the Vater sticks do,but to me,it's worth every penny to be able to play for hours with no pain in my hands or dropping sticks.

User Info Menu

A quick comparison on the respective sites reveals that the nearest match to the AJ3 would be the "RN114NT Joe Calato" stick.

Vic Firth
    American Jazz® 3
    An 8D shaft that feels like it plays itself.
    Teardrop
    L = 16" Dia. = .545"
    Regal Tip
    RN-114NT Joe Calato
    Teardrop
    L = 16" Dia = .550"
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dodeska View Post
    A quick comparison on the respective sites reveals that the nearest match to the AJ3 would be the "RN114NT Joe Calato" stick.

Thanks, Dodeska.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn76 View Post
    I got a pair of X Series 5A's and they are to light for me. I was surprised at how light they were. Doubt the 5B's will be to my liking as well weight wise. Sticking to the Pro-Mark Oak 747's, especially since they allegedly fixed the nylon tip issues.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    I got a pair of X Series 5A's and they are to light for me. I was surprised at how light they were. Doubt the 5B's will be to my liking as well weight wise. Sticking to the Pro-Mark Oak 747's, especially since they allegedly fixed the nylon tip issues.
    Try a pair of the Regal Tip Death EX sticks. There is a big weight difference in the 5B nylon tip X series sticks I am using and the Death EX series.They are heavier and I have been using them for the past few days,pain free of course,and I am starting to like them more then the X series. The Death Ex sticks have held up better as far as not chipping away as fast,still not like Vater but I have about 12-14 hours of play time on the Death sticks and they are still very usable and should last another 10 or more hours of play time.
    I also like the fact that the Death sticks are the "normal" size of a 5B stick as far as roundness and how long they are.They feel very comfortable to use and I still have the same control as I do with the X series.The X series sticks are a little longer then my liking so I doubt I order to many more of them and will be ordering more Death sticks on Tuesday.I think 3 pair should last me for a month easily,if not I have a some RT sticks that are in usable shape until I can order more.At first I didn't like the Death sticks,but I didn't give them a fair chance at being used.I think I used them less then an hour and decided I didn't like them,but went back to them a second time and now I have changed my outlook on them.
    I'm not trying to promote RT,I know their products aren't the best as far as how soft the wood is and limited amount of time some of their lines are,but I think the Death stick is a keeper,just hope they don't discontinue them anytime soon or I will have to buy 1000 pairs to last a lifetime LOL