Thread: Best heads for a catalina club jazz bass drum

User Info Menu

Default Best heads for a catalina club jazz bass drum

I have recently obtained a Catalina Club Jazz and am looking to replace the heads for it. I have settled on a Coated G1/Clear G1 on the toms and a Coated G1/Hazy 200 on the snare, but I am unsure what to pick from the large set of bass drum heads. I play all types of jazz, from a small trio to a fairly large big band, so I need something versatile. Thanks for all your recommendations
    Gretsch Drums/Zildjian Cymbals/DW hardware/Evans heads/Roc n' Soc throne/Vic Firth Sticks/

User Info Menu

Default Re: Best heads for a catalina club jazz bass drum

BeBop-Bob, I am assuming that you want a more boomy sound, as opposed to the punchy sound. Is that correct? I don't play Jazz, but if I know what you want, I can help.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    BeBop-Bob, I am assuming that you want a more boomy sound, as opposed to the punchy sound. Is that correct? I don't play Jazz, but if I know what you want, I can help.
    Yes, I'm looking for a light, boomy sound.
    Gretsch Drums/Zildjian Cymbals/DW hardware/Evans heads/Roc n' Soc throne/Vic Firth Sticks/

User Info Menu

if you want an open type of sound, you could go with a Remo Weatherking Emperor batter, with a Remo Ambassador or Emperor resonant head, but if you want the sound a bit more controlled, go with a Remo Powerstroke 3 batter, and consider the same as a resonant head. My Gretsch Catalina Maple kit came with equivalent of the Powerstroke 3 as batter and reso on the bass and it was nice and boomy.

Just my 2 cents.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thanks for your help, I'll be sure to check those out.