Thread: How to hold the stick to prevent hand pain

User Info Menu

Default How to hold the stick to prevent hand pain

I have recently been getting some hand pains throughout the middle part of my hand and fingers. I warm up well with slow 8s and lightly stretch so I'm thinking that I need to hold the sticks differently. I currently hold them the standard match grip way but I have heard of an alternate way that is supposed to be better for your hands. Does anybody know what I'm talking about and would be able to help me?

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: How to hold the stick to prevent hand pain

First get a doctor to look at your hands. Second usually its a matter of relaxing your grip more.

User Info Menu

It's hard to say without seeing what your doing in person. All we can do is offer suggestions. Are you new to drumming? Or have been drumming for a while and it just started to happen? If your new, maybe your gripping the sticks to tightly? There are 3 slightly different matched grip styles which are called French, German, and American grip. Look them up on Wiki. Then there is traditional grip, where in fact one of your hands, depending on which hand is dominant, is still going to be a matched grip style. Usually when someone experiences hand pain while drumming, it is either an injury that has happened, in which case go see a doctor, or more than likely your doing something wrong like not having a relaxed enough grip. Welcome to Drum Chat. The best drumming topic site on the net. Good luck.

This guy shows us what a relaxed grip looks like.

Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

When you have pain, you go see a doctor before any real damage is done.

It's your hands.

User Info Menu

Welcome to DrumChat twichcore. Sorry your first post here had to deal with pain. As others have said, seek a doctor's advice when dealing with sudden pain, especially if there was no pain to begin with. I know the area that you're asking about. The pain in my hand feels as if I've been at the batting cages too long. It feels like the same shock when the ball hits the aluminium bat right? In my case, I may have to resort to wearing drum gloves soon. The impact pain is especially hard on my right hand right under the index finger and in between it and my middle finger:

User Info Menu

I was dealing with pain in my hands when playing and I switched to a different kind of stick and the pain went away. I can only guess that the Vater sticks were not absorbing the shock very well and the Regal Tip sticks I use now do. I have been using them a few weeks and haven't had any pain while playing. I still do my stretches on my hands and fingers so I don't do any damage to my hands if I haven't already.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

Generally this problem arises from gripping to tightly. Where does the stick sit in your hand when you play? Are you thumbs pressed up against your index finger? or is there a gap?

Too Much Stuff.