Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playing live with a click?

User Info Menu

Default Playing live with a click?

I was asked to sit in with my former band this past weekend. I did. It went fine and I had a lot of fun. But...

Ok, the Bass player didn't show up, so it was me on drums, the lead singer/rhythm guitarist, and the lead guitarist. Almost every song was one I had never played before, or, hadn't played in a long, long time. No set list at all. It was a last minute gig and a night of 'follow me' on the drums. The venue was a little beer/burger joint, so no pressure or big crowds.

So, most songs started with the vocalist/rhythm guy starting on guitar, I'd pick up the beat, and join in. I've done this with them before and I really try to watch/listen for cues from them.

Anyway, this morning I emailed him and asked how he thought I played. He gave me some great feedback, said I was solid, blah, blah. However, he DID also say that my tempos fluctuated a bit. And, asked me to start playing with a click when I play live with them.

I'm certainly not opposed to this and in fact, I practice all the time with a click of some kind in my ear. I guess my question is, how many of you do this already? Experiences with it? Tips?

Or is it as simple as...yeah whatever, just do it and be done with it?

Personally, one of the mains reasons I enjoy live music is for the simple rawness of it. I don't want to hear a studio version of a song - that's what itunes is for.

thanks,
    Tex

User Info Menu

Default Re: Playing live with a click?

Hi Tex. I use a click for band practice and I write down the bpm next to each song on the list. If by chance a singer in our band wants to change the tempo of a song, I make my adjustments and practice the new meter during practice. For gigs, I leave the metronome at home and play by feel. Hopefully, the weeks prior to the gig, the other members have 'locked' themselves to the click during practice so in the end, we hopefully all play together by 'feel'.

User Info Menu

unless your using sequencers I dont like clicks live. Also Id bet paycheques it was the guitar player with the tempo issues.

User Info Menu

Late - thanks bro. Great info and just proves the importance of practicing with your band. A lot. FYI - I had not played with these guys since June 22, 2012. Got called Friday morning, to gig that night.

Redneck - I can't believe you said that. I really didn't want to point the finger in my original post. But...that's exactly what I felt like that night. I know the drummer is the driver. However that being said, when I do sit-in, follow-me, gigs, I really try to fit in with them since they are the ones that have played/practiced together. All night I was watching them, and listening to the vocal cues (when was his voice landing on the "1", etc). And of course there is the lead guitarist - don't get me started on what it's like playing with this guy. He likes to give instructions, verbally, in the middle of a song.

Thanks for both of your responses. I DO like feedback and criticism from band members. Assuming it's warranted.

Tex

User Info Menu

I left a gigging great paying band that had a lead player that acted just like your guy, my new band doesnt gig much, but what a great bunch of guys.

User Info Menu

Not for nothing, but:

Bass player doesn't show
    No set list
    Last minute gig that you graciously agreed to bail them out on

The last thing they should be worried about is your ability to keep a consistant tempo (if it was even you, and I'd doubt it). They should be thanking you.

And no, don't use a click live. Just at rehearsal sometimes when I feel that we play a song too fast or too slow and nobody else agrees with me and always in studio.
    Last edited by inthpktplayer; 01-28-2013 at 02:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    And of course there is the lead guitarist - don't get me started on what it's like playing with this guy.
    Tex, if he keeps giving your 'instructions' in the middle of a song, open up a big can of this on him!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Tex, if he keeps giving your 'instructions' in the middle of a song, open up a big can of this on him!!

LOL. There's a blast from the past. Thanks for the afternoon humor. Much needed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    I left a gigging great paying band that had a lead player that acted just like your guy, my new band doesnt gig much, but what a great bunch of guys.
    Annnnnd, that's exactly why I originally said "my former band". I've said from the get go...if you aren't having fun with your music, you're doing it wrong.

Appreciate the support guys.

And, seriously, I'm not an ego maniac and I DO appreciate criticism. But I refuse to be the scapegoat, just because I'm the drummer. Don't get me started on being referred to as "the time keeper". That will get you a visit from my pet rattlesnakes. Grrrr.

Ok, Tex out. On to happier threads.

User Info Menu

I have only ever used a click for the count off. Inevitably, while one would always wish to remain exactly at the same tempo, live bands will often speed up in reaction to the adrenalin, audience, etc.

I don't believe a click works unless all the band have it via the use of IEM's. I've never played in such a situation with IEM's and a separate feed for the click although I'm beginning to use IEM's more
    but only on gigs where I have a full mic setup.

Anyway, clicks have their place but unless the whole band have the feed then you can easily fall off tempo leaving the drummer with a click playing 'out of time'. The is especially so where there are parts of a song without drums for a time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Not for nothing, but:

Bass player doesn't show
    No set list
    Last minute gig that you graciously agreed to bail them out on

The last thing they should be worried about is your ability to keep a consistant tempo (if it was even you, and I'd doubt it). They should be thanking you.

And no, don't use a click live. Just at rehearsal sometimes when I feel that we play a song too fast or too slow and nobody else agrees with me and always in studio.
    yeah, i gotta agree with the above.. you did them a favor , id tell them what to do with their click.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

I have opinions on both sides. In the studio I have played with clicks often. With technology being what it is, it's much easier to edit the music when everyone is on the grid.

Playing live I have not used clicks as much as I have used backtracks (same idea). But I will only have certain instruments or sounds in my backtrack mix otherwise it gets too muddy.

On the other hand, using a click or backtracks can take some of the feeling or soul or natural energy out of the music. I like listening to "raw" music and subtle tempo changes are just a part of the feeling, attitude and vibe.

For me clicks and backtracks have their purpose and place. But playing live (unless your playing to a video or pre-recorded track in the back) it doesn't really serve any necessary purpose, unless the band just can't click and mesh together which needs to be addressed and is a whole other topic.

When listening to a CD or making a CD I have just come to expect it to be as perfect as possible- the industry has pretty much set that standard. But when I listen to or see a live gig I like the raw energy and human feeling behind it. I once heard someone tell me years ago it they wanted to listen to a song played perfectly they would just listen to the CD and forget the live stuff.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post
    I have opinions on both sides. In the studio I have played with clicks often. With technology being what it is, it's much easier to edit the music when everyone is on the grid.

Playing live I have not used clicks as much as I have used backtracks (same idea). But I will only have certain instruments or sounds in my backtrack mix otherwise it gets too muddy.

On the other hand, using a click or backtracks can take some of the feeling or soul or natural energy out of the music. I like listening to "raw" music and subtle tempo changes are just a part of the feeling, attitude and vibe.

For me clicks and backtracks have their purpose and place. But playing live (unless your playing to a video or pre-recorded track in the back) it doesn't really serve any necessary purpose, unless the band just can't click and mesh together which needs to be addressed and is a whole other topic.

When listening to a CD or making a CD I have just come to expect it to be as perfect as possible- the industry has pretty much set that standard. But when I listen to or see a live gig I like the raw energy and human feeling behind it. I once heard someone tell me years ago it they wanted to listen to a song played perfectly they would just listen to the CD and forget the live stuff.
    Very well said!
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

I've posted on clicks and 'nomes before, so I'm not going off on them now.

I will say this. STICK THE CLICK.

User Info Menu

I played live with a click track for 4 years 5 nights a week , 48 weeks a year. The band I was in got rid of the bass player to free up money for expenses and to give ourselves a bit more pay as well. So all the bass parts were programmed by the keyboard player on a sequencer.

I wore a set of studio monitor headphones and had a nice mix of my kit and the entire band in them. I also had a separate volume control for the click right next to me so I could always be sure to hear it.

At first it felt a bit strange, but after a couple nights I was used to it. I later learned that even though the bass was sequenced and the click was there, I could still push and pull the song a bit to keep it feeling human.

Today I can play to sequenced music without even hearing the click because my internal clock is so solid now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatDrummer View Post
    I have only ever used a click for the count off. Inevitably, while one would always wish to remain exactly at the same tempo, live bands will often speed up in reaction to the adrenalin, audience, etc.

I don't believe a click works unless all the band have it via the use of IEM's. I've never played in such a situation with IEM's and a separate feed for the click although I'm beginning to use IEM's more
    but only on gigs where I have a full mic setup.

Anyway, clicks have their place but unless the whole band have the feed then you can easily fall off tempo leaving the drummer with a click playing 'out of time'. The is especially so where there are parts of a song without drums for a time.
    The part in bold confuses me a bit. The drummer dictates the tempo of the song. He or she is the time keeper, the foundation of the song. If the other musicians can't stay with the drummer, they are not ready to be playing in a band.

As for parts of the songs with out drums, I would always keep some kind of time, either on the hi-hat or ride cymbal.

User Info Menu

I'll be like most and go with "no click live". With you being metered perfectly your band won't be able to play with you due to their poor tempo!

User Info Menu

played with a click in my ears for a number of years... but it was necessary for the delays and effects and sequenced material. it really helped me improve my live performance. but today i only use the metrenome live to get the tempos before starting the songs where i tend to take off or drag. as long as the band is locked in, that little bit of push and pull is what makes the groove. and i'm gonna go ahead and agree with redneck on the likelihood of the guitar player being the one with the tempo issues.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    .....With you being metered perfectly your band won't be able to play with you due to their poor tempo!
    LOL!
    I get exhausted during normally easy tempo songs "pushing" the band to keep time. Without a singer the guitarist and bass sing and that always messes with their playing and as a consequence the timing suffers (until the guitar solos.)
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

wheres the fun in playing live with a click in your ear?
    id walk
    the best bands in the world can come out of the gate off tempo, slow, too fast and on and on.
    its like playing golf when you play live. a game of recovery when you have a bad hole, move on to the bridge.
    Last edited by kyle102565; 01-29-2013 at 06:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Absolutely use a click in the studio, but live no way. Not for me. You gotta do what you gotta do in your situation though, Tex.

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated!

User Info Menu

If you have a metronome playing a click in your ears, then you have the ultimate authority, and you are positioned to bring up the guitar player's tendency to 'wander' from the click. It is especially useful if you are the only one who hears it, cuz it'll make you the only authority, which will reduce the tendency to question your precision.

It may 'feel' like you're being unjustly asked to rely on a machine, but you can turn the situation to your advantage - turn that frown upside down!

The clock is the master, which you own. You could just turn it off and nobody would know, right.

Or you could learn an important timing lesson if there is one to be learned.

If the guitarist is off ask, you know, if he's had caffeine or something. Or if he wants some?

Compliance gives you many options.

Last edited by Rickkus; 01-30-2013 at 10:24 AM.

User Info Menu

I always play with a click in my ears, live, band rehearsals, practices, studio(of course),..
    My band plays with sequenced samples, so I have to use a click. It takes a hard time getting used to it.
    If I had a choice to play with or without a click track live, I would choose for. I'm used to it know, and can't imagine playing without it anymore.

User Info Menu

Played to a click when recording, but I don't do it live.

I've tried at practice a long time ago.......................didn't like it at all.

Instead of feeding off of the crowd / song / other band members, I was trying to follow the click.................very distracting and not very musical IMO