Thread: Mapex Mars (Not 'Mapex Mars Pro')

User Info Menu

Cool Mapex Mars (Not 'Mapex Mars Pro')

Just bought one of these late ninety pups for a hundred and fifty bucks. Guy even threw in some cymbals (ZBTs...ehh lol), original kick pedal/hat stand, hardware and a mapex throne. Pretty nice eh?

It's wasn't in the best of condition (nicks here/there, dusty, some scuffs etc.) and even had the stock Mapex heads on all the drums, top and bottom haha.

So, I took everything apart and cleaned it all. Something I've come to love over the years PS- Rusty hardware? Put some lugs for example in a baggie with some vinger, lay the bag down in a bowl, and let it sit for a night. The next morning, they will look like hell, but with just a toothbrush, dish soap, and not even two hours work, your hardware shines like stars!

I'll try to post pictures of my progress with it, but I'm posting this after the hardware cleaning, so I couldnt get a before/after pic. oh well

anyway, Anyone got a Mars set? What do you guys think? What heads sound good on them? What cymbals do you like with yours? Pics!

This thread is all about Mapex Mars drums

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mapex Mars (Not 'Mapex Mars Pro')

I don't have one myself, but I'd love to see some pictures!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by almostmatt1 View Post
    i don't have one myself, but i'd love to see some pictures!
    +1

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Good to see you again rsshortstack!

I don't have a Mars kit, but I am looking forward to see the pics of your kit as it progresses.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I had an older Mars kit from the very early 1990s. Refinished it and sold it. Different shells, lugs, tom arms, hardware and everything from yours. I did have a Mars Pro that was similar to yours though. I liked clear Pinstripes over Ambassadors (I used ebony for looks, but clear would be great). I think they'd sound better with clear Emperors, which is what I used on the older Mars kit.
    Those are some good drums man. Enjoy them.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by quikstang2 View Post
    I liked clear Pinstripes over Ambassadors (I used ebony for looks, but clear would be great). I think they'd sound better with clear Emperors, which is what I used on the older Mars kit.
    Those are some good drums man. Enjoy them.
    Thanks dude, I've always played coated emperors over clear ambass. But with this kit I was thinking like, clear evans this time. But I'll consider that pin/amb. match