Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: country music

User Info Menu

Default Re: country music

I'm not a fan of country or blues music. Wouldn't want to play them all night, I rather drink cheap scotch.

There was a time, about 20 odd years ago when our lady singer wanted to go see this country singer and everybody else was packing and going to dinner, so I said I would go with her. I didn't have a clue as to who this person was, but it took me a couple of weeks to get over the crush I had on her after the show. 1 of the prettiest ladies I've ever seen. Miss Patty Loveless.

User Info Menu

Over the past couple of years, bands I'd worked with were incorporating more of the modern country rock (for lack of a better term) into the set lists. Seriously, some of the drum parts were challenging and made it interesting to accept the new genre into an existing rock band. It goes over well with the crowds, too.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillip latimer View Post
    How many country music drummers are out there and if so what are some of
    your favorite songs to play
    Well there are a ton of them I like to play, and basically I'm a rocker. I Can Kick Your A$$ by Justin Moore, is a newer one. Almost anything by Brooks and Dunn. Honky Tonk Attitude by Joe Diffie I've always liked to play that. Blame It On Texas by Mark Chesnutt and the list goes on. I've always played rock, hard rock, and metal. In 92 I joined a country band. Like some of the other have already stated, there are some challenges to country drumming. The mechanics of it are very simple, but the key is to make it feel right, and that's the challenge. It took me awhile to get it flowing and sounding good. I left that band and went back to Christian rock after a few yrs. after that a classic rock band (70s) Then this yr, I got into another country band and I'm enjoying it. I'm in Kansas and country is not happening here like it was in the 90s but it's still fun for me. It will probably come back around again. Every thing seems to go in cycles.

User Info Menu

As usual, I'm the odd man out I guess. I love the older (real) country and the modern stuff not as much. From the get-go country music lyrics were dealing with real life issues....divorce, adultery, alcoholism, etc... which were topics that mainstream pop music, at that time, wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. Country had really four ingredients. Three chords and the truth! I've always maintained that the reason there is so much dis-like of the genre, is that most people don't want that much reality in their music. Anyone that has any kind of life with it's up and downs and jobs and relationships and all that has "lived" a country song at some point in their lives.

RIP Merle Haggard....... last of the honest troubadours and the essential great american poet

all the best...