Thread: Traditional grip vs. Match grip

User Info Menu

Default Traditional grip vs. Match grip

Here is a old subject if i may. I talked about this earlier and to be honest i prefer traditional grip ove the match grip. After playing a few minutes ago using the traditional grip i find it alot easier for me to play. So i am going back to traditional grip and maybe use match grip once in awhile. Which grip do you prefer?

Keep drumming

Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: Taditional grip vs. Match grip

Matched.

User Info Menu

Traditional, but I'll go to match for certain things.

User Info Menu

matched, but i can play traditional, feels more comfortable, but im not as adept at it.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpatzST View Post
    matched, but i can play traditional, feels more comfortable, but im not as adept at it.
    Same here. I can do some things better with traditional, but overall I'm better with matched.

User Info Menu

Matched. I can do anything with matched grip that I can do with traditional, and I can do it clean.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

Matched for Cream, AC/DC, everything else traditional!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Matched. Maybe I'm doing traditional wrong, but it feels like I would get blisters if I played traditional long and hard enough.
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

Traditional most often but I switch depending on what I'm doing. I like traditional when I want to finess my snare when riding a swing or jazz tune.

User Info Menu

On my set, about 95% of the time, it's traditional grip. When I play the snare, in an orchestral setting or for rudimental playing, again,it's traditional grip. Most other accessory percussion instruments, such as timpani drums, latin percussion, timbales,for example, I use a matched grip.

Just the way I was taught and is the most comfortable way for me to play. That's what it's all about. What ever is best for you.

Not like the old days when you HAD to use a traditional grip to play a sling carried snare drum that tilted to the right, which is the reason the traditional grip was used. (Try tilting your snare at a steep right angle to your body and play matched grip. It can be done, but a traditional grip is much, much easier.)
    "You can never legislate stupidity, because there is no power in this world that can prevent it."-My Dad after watching his golf partner trying to hit a ball through a grove of trees.

User Info Menu

Learned Match grip initially and stayed with it the majority of time.

I've used traditional here and there, but never seriously

User Info Menu

Traditional for snare drum and jazz, blues, and 2-step on set.

Matched for rock, country, timbales, and mallets.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Traditional grip vs. Match grip

Depends on style. Otherwise, it doesn't matter. I've seen drummers with nothing but stubs for arms outplay guys that have been playing for 30 years.

User Info Menu

I am making the switch to Traditional. I feel more control. My ghost notes are quieter, and I seem to be able to get around the kit a little easier as well.
    Mapex Pro M Cherry Fade
    Evans G2 / Genera Reso's on toms.
    Evans EC Reverse Dot on Snare
    Remo Powerstroke 3 batter / reso on bass.
    Can't find the right stick atm.
    Zildjian
    PDP and SP hardware
    Mapex Raptor Direct Drive and DW 7000 series Double Bass Pedals.

User Info Menu

Maybe it's me, but I always found more finesse out of traditional. I used to be 90/10 traditional to matched, but now it's more like 50/50 now.

User Info Menu

Matched for me.

User Info Menu

Light jazz, traditional. Rock, matched.

User Info Menu

With sticks, it just depends on the genre and/or tune, but I tend to use matched grip way more, especially for heavier playing, Latin and reggae (where you're using the crosstick/rimclick sound a lot) and obviously with open hand playing. With brushes though, I've been using trad grip a lot more to get a good left hand sweep, and I'll then use matched for brushes if say I'm doing a country 'train-beat' or something.

Bottom line is, whatever grip you're comfortable with, go for it. We're all different in our own ways.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

For the softer ballads and the swing type tunes I usually go traditional - for the driving rock, country and blues its matched - although sometimes to get a really fat deep snare and or cross-stick , I play matched with the butt end on the snare.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by almostmatt1 View Post
    Matched for me.
    Matt, every time I see your avatar, I just crack up. I think that's the funniest avatar anywhere!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Matt, every time I see your avatar, I just crack up. I think that's the funniest avatar anywhere!

Tom, that's really Matt.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Tom, that's really Matt.
    Oh wow... well, um... Matt, I meant that as a compliment. You know, some people just look a little different. Nothing to be ashamed of right?