Thread: To Wuhan or not to Wuhan...

User Info Menu

Default To Wuhan or not to Wuhan...

Hey everyone, how have you been? Sorry I've been gone for so long. School and band practice take a lot of time. Anyway, I'll let you in on my predicament. I purchased my 18in Wuhan China last year around Christmas and I love it with a passion. My problem is, since then, it has gradually cracked to the point of having a rather large chunk out of it. I have tried drilling/cutting out the cracks to no avail. (You can kind of tell in this video how big it is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQJsYPml3D8 I'm on the left)

I don't generally hit too hard, and I'm sure my technique has improved since I started cracking it, but I'm wondering if I should pull the trigger on another Wuhan or not, because I know they are known for being fragile. So I guess I'm wondering if I should save up for a china that will last me my lifetime, or buy another Wuhan with the possibility of breaking it. I should add that this is the only cymbal I've really broken since I learned how to not play like a monkey. Also, If I choose to spring for a mid-to-pro level china, what would you recommend? Although my name suggests I'm Zildjian-Only, I recently switched to Sabian after my mother got a great deal on a pack of Xs20's, and I just got an AA splash for Christmas. I would love to keep it to Sabian, but that's strictly because I like stuff to match.

Thanks for the help!

ZK
    Sabian Squad (Albeit Ironically )

Check out my Youtube Channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/AustVaiv?feature=mhee

User Info Menu

Default Re: To Wuhan or not to Wuhan...

i also have a 18 inch wuhan that i love, they are super cheap so when i break one (havnt yet) i'll just get another. i think the next one i get will have a few rivits in it .....
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    i also have a 18 inch wuhan that i love, they are super cheap so when i break one (havnt yet) i'll just get another. i think the next one i get will have a few rivits in it .....
    True, they do sound great, and my friend just got one with rivets which sounds pretty cool. I just don't feel like paying $50 every 2 years if they keep breaking :/

User Info Menu

Wuhan is the ebst you can get for that trashy sound. With a cheap price tag replacing is usually no big deal.

the numbers arent that bad. if you buy a brand new sabian aa or something for $200 or you could buy $50 wuhans every 2 years.

8 years until you spend the same amount. I would say buy a wuhan now and over the next 2 years+ search for a killer used deal on a higher end one.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I dont know how old my wuhan is I got it from a friend, Ive had it for almost 2yrs with no signs of cracking. Wuhans are no more prone to breaking than any other cymbal, the problem is that most people say "oh its just a cheap wuhan" and abuse them.
    BTW I just watched your video and quite frankly Im not surprised you cracked it. Youre beating the hell out of it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    I dont know how old my wuhan is I got it from a friend, Ive had it for almost 2yrs with no signs of cracking. Wuhans are no more prone to breaking than any other cymbal, the problem is that most people say "oh its just a cheap wuhan" and abuse them.
    BTW I just watched your video and quite frankly Im not surprised you cracked it. Youre beating the hell out of it.
    I agree that video makes it look bad. But i feel its a bad representation because i rarey play that loud, and i was beating it up because its already basically destroyed. I've cracked two wuhans in the past so far and they're the only cymbals I've broken. Maybe a cymbal spring and a new Wuhan would be a good investment?

User Info Menu

Also I have a theory on mounting them the way you (and many other people) mount them. When they are down low and flat like that, people tend to crash down on them hard and play through the cymbal. When you mount them high and vertical you have no choice but to hit them with a glancing blow. Thats just my opinion though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    I would say buy a wuhan now and over the next 2 years+ search for a killer used deal on a higher end one.
    This. I'd go for it, personally, considering you're into their sound and they're cheap.

User Info Menu

NR was dead on. I didn't watch the video before. But think about a stick coming down on the cymbal.

When its low and flat, by the time you fully hit the cymbal your stick it flat and the cymbal takes much more of the stick. You also allow nowhere for the stick to go but down, and further into the cymbal.

Raise it up, angle it a little bit and give your stick somewhere else to go.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

What NR said. Plus use a cymbal spring like you said. A great invention. Lets them move around freely with zero restriction.

Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Get a tin can, label it "Wuhan Can", throw change or a buck in it whenever you think about it... it adds up bro!
    Attitude is everything!

User Info Menu

I currently have 2 12", and 14", 16" Wuhans on my kit to accent high end 18 and 22" chinas from Zildjian and Sabian. I love them all. I have used the same 12" for over ten years, and it has only just started to develop that tiny outer bell crack that chinas seem prone to. That said, I am not the only one beating on this kit at times, and many of us play various types of metal; so really this little guy has held up extrememly well to my giant *** oak sticks.

If you like the short and characteristic sound (trashy) of the Wuhans, go for it. Budget shop, buy used and before you know it you will have an array of Wuhans in various sizes that make for some great musical applications.
    -Merlin Coryell-
    Merlin Coryell FB
    -CITY-

Mapex & Ludwig Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, & Wuhan Cymbals.
    Axis & Gibraltar Hardware, Evans & Remo Heads
    Alesis DM10 & Percussion
    ESP Guitars, Line6 Stuffs & Junk

User Info Menu

I don't care for the sound of Wuhan China's. I have a smaller HHX Evolution China that is trashy sounding enough for me. I like a more mellow China over the trashy sounding ones. Every time I have hit a Wuhan,it just was not musical to my ears. I know a lot of people love them,and for good reason,they are cheap and easy to replace and no 2 sound the same.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    What NR said. Plus use a cymbal spring like you said. A great invention. Lets them move around freely with zero restriction.

+50 Cymbal springs on a china are essential in my opinion. Especially Wuhan.

User Info Menu

Just go for it. Over time your technique should keep improving, and you will probably not be cracking a Wuhan every 2 years unless you just beat the crap out of it and tighten it down. Chinas also have some stress points that can result in cracking faster, or so I've heard, so that could have something to do with it if you play it a lot in those areas.
    Also, assuming that you still have your cracked ones, you can cut them down into little effect cymbals, bells, whatever. Or make a stack.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stuperprohero View Post
    +50 Cymbal springs on a china are essential in my opinion. Especially Wuhan.
    I tried a spring on my 14" China and where I have it mounted,it didn't do so well. I'll just have to be a bit more careful with that China. I have 2 18s and a 20 and haven't cracked them and have beat the hell out of them over the last few years and I don't use the springs on them either. I guess I am just lucky.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

My opinion, get yourself another Wuhan if you like them (I know I do). A Wuhan is no more prone to breaking than a Sabian or Zildjian if your technique is sound and with the right mounting hardware.

To me, Wuhans are the gold standard of what a China cymbal should be. I really like some others as well (I really dig the 18" Sabian HHX Evolution and the old school Zildjian China boys), and can appreciate the sound of different inverted cymbal with flanged edges. But to my ears there's just not much like a genuine China cymbal made in China...especially one that I picked out of a pile of other samples.

Good luck!