Thread: Foot Speed

User Info Menu

Default Foot Speed

Been practicing from the Stick Control Book, first five exercises, over and over, hitting my bass pedal on the first note the four. What are some things I can do to really dial my feet in, specifically my right foot, for power, speed, or both? Thanks!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Foot Speed

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers252006 View Post
    Been practicing from the Stick Control Book, first five exercises, over and over, hitting my bass pedal on the first note the four. What are some things I can do to really dial my feet in, specifically my right foot, for power, speed, or both? Thanks!!

No matter what answers you get, it's always going to come down to practice.

User Info Menu

+1. There is no substitute. No short cuts. Start slow making sure your technique is solid, then speed it up slowly, constantly checking to make sure your technique isn't getting sloppy because of the added speed introduced.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I am working on using a double bass pedal and I haven't used one since I started playing 5 years ago. My left leg is slow and I can't put the pressure into it to hit the bass pedal on my left leg as I can my right. It's going to to a lot of practice on my part to be able to build up speed and putting more pressure into the slave pedal to balance it with my right leg. I can hear that I am hitting the left slave hard enough to where I can hear it behind my kit,but in front of the kit,I can hardly hear it. I recorded myself practicing to see where I was at as far as my left leg goes and that is when I discovered that the left hit can't be heard at all from 15 feet away.
    So my advice,practice as much as possible.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

Yeah. That's why someone just starting out should go right to the double rather than a single. Unless they never have an inkling to go to a double. Maybe instead of playing the bass drum with your right foot. Try just playing all the time with your left foot instead. Of course, that presents a problem with your hi hats, right? You could move your hats to the right and play left handed. Or get a closed hat bracket and mount it on the right. Or, just keep practicing your right left singles and doubles on the pedals. Good luck, man.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    Yeah. That's why someone just starting out should go right to the double rather than a single. Unless they never have an inkling to go to a double. Maybe instead of playing the bass drum with your right foot. Try just playing all the time with your left foot instead. Of course, that presents a problem with your hi hats, right? You could move your hats to the right and play left handed. Or get a closed hat bracket and mount it on the right. Or, just keep practicing your right left singles and doubles on the pedals. Good luck, man.
    I never had the urge to go with double bass.I seen some pedals I liked and had the money so I bought them LOL I was in the market for a single pedal at the time but decided it was time to see if I was able to do double bass or not. I have some back problems so that could be part of my problem.I won't give up trying. I have actually tried using my left foot for the bass.I have a drop clutch (junk don't mess with them) on my hats so that frees up my left foot.

User Info Menu

Do paradiddles between hand and feet. Builds coordination, control, and speed. Speed with your foot means nothing if you don't have coordination or control to use it. Also build your timing as well.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by groovearteest View Post
    Speed with your foot means nothing if you don't have coordination or control to use it.
    I wish more people understood this. Not directing this at the OP Just it's so overlooked. A frankly ridiculous amount of people think that playing with speed is the whole world.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by groovearteest View Post
    Do paradiddles between hand and feet. Builds coordination, control, and speed. Speed with your foot means nothing if you don't have coordination or control to use it. Also build your timing as well.
    I meant to say this as well. I am struggling with this problem. I have a lot of practicing to do before I need to worry about speed.I need to worry more about timing and coordination then anything else.

User Info Menu

start playing your kick on the second note, then third, fourth. then start playing the first and second, second and third, third and fourth... just go through every possible pattern with your foot until you are playing every note.

you'd be surprised how much better you will get at everything just from practicing permutations like this.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpatzST View Post
    start playing your kick on the second note, then third, fourth. then start playing the first and second, second and third, third and fourth... just go through every possible pattern with your foot until you are playing every note.

you'd be surprised how much better you will get at everything just from practicing permutations like this.
    ^This is what I do along with hihat and snare. Moving permutations around on different beats and paradiddles w/ accents around the kit (including kick) is something I do every time I'm in practice mode. Sometimes it's only for a few minutes, most times longer and it's been paying off. As always, takes time.
    Attitude is everything!

User Info Menu

i sometimes wish i would've started with a double but the band is happy with me favoring single. I have the IC Cobra jr's and are great for the times that i use it but my bpm is like 20 lol no joke. Can't help it lol. My friend Aaron in BONZ plays a single and you'd swear he was shredding double but he likes single.

As others noted keep practicing and the power you want will come no doubt. I admire you double bass guys. It's a lot of work to do it well.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I don't know if it has been suggested yet. but run through Stick Control with your foot/feet instead of sticks. Hit the snare on the down beats. (probably will sound like a metal phrase)
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    I don't know if it has been suggested yet. but run through Stick Control with your foot/feet instead of sticks. Hit the snare on the down beats. (probably will sound like a metal phrase)
    ^This!!
    Attitude is everything!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    Nice!! Will play with this. Thanks!! And thanks to everybody else, too, for your suggestions. Keep 'em coming if you can think of any more good ones!!

User Info Menu

I bought my double pedal about a year into playing, I tend to play it more when I'm jamming by myself than I do with my band, but I still like having the ability. Right now I'm putting double bass on the back burner because I'm trying to increase the endurance on my right foot. In one of our faster songs I do a slow double bass bit that I'm trying to transition to just a right foot thing (and then fill in on the left at certain parts)

What I've always done is just practice to beats and songs. Occasionally I'll practice paradiddles or other variations, but I'm just in it for the music so I practice to music. I've gotten much better over time and can play songs I used to struggle to even attempt

User Info Menu

I like doing the one Steve Smith suggested and I have been doing it for a few months now.

do 1 measure each of 16th notes (1 e & a, 2 e & a, 3 e & a, 4 e & a) at a nice slow comfy speed and slowly add 2-3 bpm per week or every 2 weeks if need be.

1st measure heel toe
    2nd measure heel up ( just toe from the ankle)
    3rd measure heel toe
    4th measure heel down
    5th measure heel toe
    6th measure flat footed but using the leg (no ankle)

I even play with one of the heel toe's and switch it to toe heel every now and then.

The goal is to try and make every note the same, no ghost notes or very hard hits. Do not worry about the speed and do not advance the speed if you cannot go through the exercise atleast twice at the same decibel of note on the BD. It's is not easy to make the 6th measure sound as low as the 4th..
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPFEP_stPGI

User Info Menu

i think its mind over matter in my opinion.