Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Intermediate Drum Kit

User Info Menu

Default Re: Intermediate Drum Kit

Quote Originally Posted by blackmail View Post
    cant find that PDP in birch, i do find it in maple, but out of my budget

i want a versatile kit because i like a lot of styles, but to begin i maybe play metal, prog rock and fusion (i would like to play jazz as well but is out of my skill tree, at least for now). i would like a 20-10-12-14 kit, but i have no problems buying a bigger config.

Thanks!, the difference between the regular and the custom is the lacquer finish. The Catalina comes without hardware, that takes it out of my budget.

Thanks!, the lack of hardware of the catalina makes all the kit more expensive.

thank you, im getting more inclined to the tama lately.

Great, it was frustrating because i had to quote everyone like 3 times, and then the post wasnt there and i didnt understand why.

yeah, i did that, but i love the sound of the 3 options, beside listen to them in the store is not the same and i really want some guide of people who knows more than myself because i didnt play for too long and i wasnt very good anyway xD

i see everyone is really friendly, thanks for the wellcome!.

lol, i love gretsch but with the need to buy the hardware separately it gets out of my budget

im really having a hard time picking one of this 3, but im less inclined for the Mapex and a little more inclined to the Tama than the Sonor.

thanks all for your help and your wellcome!

oh, and what do you guys think of the PDP M5?, its a maple kit and its even cheaper than the other 3.
    M5 is a good kit, I have the fs which is the birch version and a little cheaper. M5 is pretty well built and sounds good its a good kit to consider. But honestly you have really good choices already, so I wouldn't try to overload your mind with too many choices lol. The Tampa is a really good choice though, and this is coming from a DW/PDP man.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Incorrect.

If applicable, I would always recommend you start completely from scratch and take the time to configure your dream set before ordering Gretsch USA Custom shells.

But that is not what the OP asked about.

To answer a question like this you have to recommend what you know.
    It's impossible to recommend something you don't know.
    Thus, it appears that everyone always suggests the same thing.

On the other hand, I have seen many experienced players here suggest that you can take any decent quality shell and make it sound good with the correct heads and tuning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Sorry, diddle.
    I found this post too late.
    It's all good man. The point I was trying to make was this. The original poster asked specifically about:

Sonor Essential Force
    Tama Silverstar Custom
    Mapex Meridian Birch

A few people jumped on and started recommending Pearl, Yamaha, Gretsch, etc. I get that. I guess I should have said, there are a few individuals that will recommend their own preferences every time. My statement was too broad. I apologize.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by almostmatt1 View Post
    I fixed your posts for you, lads.
    Thanks for fixing that post. Pastor Bob must have been tired and maybe a little confused...haha
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blackmail View Post
    im looking to buy a intermediate birch kit and this are the options i have in mind:

Sonor Essential Force
    Tama Silverstar Custom
    Mapex Meridian Birch

what do you think?, any other options?
    Markaddidle, you are correct that we all have a tendency to recommend the kits with which we have experience. I thought blackmail's initial list was a good one, and since I do have some experience with the Gretsch Catalina series (although mine is maple), I thought it was worth the mention. In the end, blackmail seems like he's doing his own work on this, so he's sort through the suggestions and get the kit that's right for him.

I didn't take any offense to your pointing out our biases, as you could tell by my post. LOL I'm sure we all have them, based on our experiences. On the other hand, the cool part about Drum Chat is that we also respect each other's opinions enough to continue the dialogue.

Oh, and Matt, thank you soooooo much for fixing my post!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Markaddidle, you are correct that we all have a tendency to recommend the kits with which we have experience. I thought blackmail's initial list was a good one, and since I do have some experience with the Gretsch Catalina series (although mine is maple), I thought it was worth the mention. In the end, blackmail seems like he's doing his own work on this, so he's sort through the suggestions and get the kit that's right for him.

I didn't take any offense to your pointing out our biases, as you could tell by my post. LOL I'm sure we all have them, based on our experiences. On the other hand, the cool part about Drum Chat is that we also respect each other's opinions enough to continue the dialogue.

Oh, and Matt, thank you soooooo much for fixing my post!
    I was just hoping that people wouldn't see my response as too strongly worded. I meant no offense by it whatsoever. I was just trying to point out that sometimes when a poster is looking for recommendations on specifics they have listed, people tend to jump on what they know and it isn't what the original poster is looking for at all. And yes, there are several individuals here, G-d bless them, will suggest the exact same thing every single time. To me, that isn't helpful.

So, I apologize if anyone was offended or took any of my posts in the wrong way.

OK, time to move along, nothing to see here...
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

User Info Menu

No worries Mark, I just thought you made a fair observation.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Ok Ok we can't blackmail him lol into buying a Pearl, Tama, Ludwig, Yamaha, Mapex, Gretsch, Sonor, Premier, Sligerland etc. It is up to him and his budget and the sound he wants. So goodluck Blackmail.

User Info Menu

thank you all, after a lot of consideration im getting more inclined to the tama, but i am still open to suggestions!!

User Info Menu

Go for the Tama kit then if you are incline on it cause all the brands have been suggested.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    I was just hoping that people wouldn't see my response as too strongly worded. I meant no offense by it whatsoever. I was just trying to point out that sometimes when a poster is looking for recommendations on specifics they have listed, people tend to jump on what they know and it isn't what the original poster is looking for at all. And yes, there are several individuals here, G-d bless them, will suggest the exact same thing every single time. To me, that isn't helpful.

So, I apologize if anyone was offended or took any of my posts in the wrong way.

What you were saying wasn't too strongly worded lol it was actually sort of true to a point.

Now as for blackmail. If your leaning towards the Tama then go Tama.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

And yes, there are several individuals here, G-d bless them, will suggest the exact same thing every single time. To me, that isn't helpful.

Are you referring to me Mark cause that is what it seems like. You like rattling my chain don't you. LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    And yes, there are several individuals here, G-d bless them, will suggest the exact same thing every single time. To me, that isn't helpful.

Are you referring to me Mark cause that is what it seems like. You like rattling my chain don't you. LOL
    Why do you say that? Yes, I know you have a thing for Pearl. It's all good man!

And the short answer is no, I was not referring to you.
    Stolen from EddieV:

User Info Menu

Honestly nobody makes a bad intermediate kit anymore. We all have different tastes. There are brands I will never recommend. Does that mean they are bad? No, I just don't personally dig what they do. I have drums from 7 different companies, and they all have something I like. Probably why I have so many kits!

Go to the store and try them if you can, and pic the one that moves you most. It probably won't be your last kit, so don't look at it like a life long commitment.

KHS makes both the Mapex, and the Sonors, so they will be very similar.

In short, pic the one you like, not the one we like. You will be paying, and playing! Good luck!

User Info Menu

today in one store the guy recomend me a 6 piece Ludwig Element Fusion Lcb 622 Px, what do you guys think of that kit?

User Info Menu

Like it was mentioned before blackmail it is up to you, your ears, your budget to decide what is best for you. Any kit you decide to get you will have to live with. Good luck.

Why don't you put a poll and mention the kits you would be interested in and from there get votes on each kit. This will give you a better idea of what drummers think.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 03-21-2013 at 06:39 AM.

User Info Menu

Tough choice! I'd say it's between the Meridian birch's and the Silverstars for me. New, they are priced similarly so you're gonna have to hear them both for yourself to decide which is really a better fit for you. Then again, if you shop used there's tons of kits you can afford.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I like the look and the sound of the silverstars, I don't know much about meridians but on the used section of Guitar center they have some for $400. I would check out the used sets unless you just really want a new drum set. You could also look at the pdp fs-5. It is also birch and I have played one many times and it sounds very good. Choose what you like though, don't feel pressured by a salesman or anyone else to get a kit when you want another one more. You will be the one to play it, so if you aren't happy, nothing else matters.

User Info Menu

You should probably be looking at Taye, Sunlite, PDP, Pearl exports, Cadeson,... brands like that if they are available in your area. They are all decent drums but not bank book killers.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Some Taye's definitely are.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

Larrysperf Guest

I could have told you that. You're going to find out everyone on this forum is very knowledgeable, helpful and friendly. You'll also discover very quickly that everyone has their standard preferences and will suggest the same thing every time.

My suggestion is, take a look at your budget and know what you want to spend. Hit up the music stores, play on the ones that are in your range. Simple as that. Your ears and wallet are the only things that will guide you, grasshopper.

Oh and welcome to DC!
    What Markadiddle said got to check them out at store. Also some used sets would be something to check into Superstars , Ludwig CS custom Accent elites, sonor list goes on Good luck

Larrysperf Guest

Why do you say that? Yes, I know you have a thing for Pearl. It's all good man!

And the short answer is no, I was not referring to you.
    Its was me . Come on make it me lol dam its never me

Larrysperf Guest

Ludwig , Ludwig and did I mention Ludwig. But truth is all inter kids today are pretty amazing compared to 10 years ago. Markadiddle makes some very good points. Now back to Ludwig sorry couldn't resist

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    Its was me . Come on make it me lol dam its never me
    Ok, ya it was you.

Just kidding.

It was more of a general statement not directed at anyone in particular. My whole point was, if someone is looking for something specific, why give recommendations on other things? I know that each of us here has a strong knowledge in what we know best. That's what makes this place so damn awesome!

Like I said earlier, I apologize to anyone if I offended them. I was just trying to tell it like it is. Sorry if I was too blunt.
    Stolen from EddieV:

User Info Menu

hi again, thanks to all of you for your answers.

My questions where open to suggestions because i though you guys can give me options i didnt even know they existed, and you have, and im gratefull for that.

right now im searching for reviews for the Ludwig Element LCB622PX because its a 6 piece kit and is quite cheaper than the 5 piece Tama kit. The rough part is that i cant try this kit because no one in my region have it on display to try, i think is a Marbled birch kit. Whats the difference with this birch and the birch of the tama/mapex/sonor?

i also like the PDP M5 Maple because it is also cheaper than the others (is at the same level than the ludwig).

thanks to all and sorry for my indesicion, in my country the musical instruments are really expensive and i want to be absolutely sure that i know what im buying.

BackStreetDrums Guest

Gretsch Birch Catalina..

But, if it had to be one of the three you mentioned, then for me, Meridian Birch

'Nuff Said
    Last edited by BackStreetDrums; 03-24-2013 at 04:41 PM.