Thread: Marker on hats

User Info Menu

Default Marker on hats

Hello everyone! Noobie on the site and to drums (been playing about 3 months). I just bought a set of 80's New Beats off e-bay. They finally arrived today, yay! Someone wrote on the top hat in marker (it looks like someone was selling them in a yard sale and put the price on them) I plan on giving them a little clean and have been researching the site for recommendations but I'm not sure if any of those products, brasso, groove juice, etc. will get the marker off. I'm guessing yes since some people were saying it could take off the logo. Thoughts?

p.s. This is such a wonderful forum. I've lurked on others and this one is always positive, informative and supportive. Nice to meet you all!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Marker on hats

Any of those cleaners should work just fine. You might have to reapply and use a bit of elbow grease but it'll come off. Don't use anything like a 3M pad or steel wool though, as that will definitely ruin a cymbal.

Welcome to DrumChat!
    PDP MX Series Drums, Zildjian A Custom cymbals, Tama Simon Phillips Gladiator Signature snare, Roc-N-Soc throne.

User Info Menu

You could also try a little rubbing alcohol first to see if that would take marker off. Might save you some time and money before you run out and buy a bunch of other stuff.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    You could also try a little rubbing alcohol first to see if that would take marker off. Might save you some time and money before you run out and buy a bunch of other stuff.
    ........+1, that, or some "goo-gone" would probably work for the marker

User Info Menu

Oh, and welcome to the forum danydew

User Info Menu

I'd also be tempted to try a Magic Eraser.

Welcome!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialAnthony View Post
    I'd also be tempted to try a Magic Eraser.

Welcome!
    Hmmm... you just gave me a good idea. Great advice Anthony!
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat danydew!

I'd offer advice, but it looks like you've gotten what you need already. Just about any of the cymbal cleaners would do it with a little extra elbow grease, but what has already been suggested with be cheaper alternatives.

Again, welcome!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thank you all for the responses. I will give it a shot. And thank you for the warm welcome!

User Info Menu

Couldn't stand it and grabbed an alcohol pad out of the first aid kit at work. I figured I would start there and then grab one of the other items on the way home if it didn't work. Worked a treat! Thanks again!

User Info Menu

Good to hear! Welcome to DC by the way. Kick off your shoes and stay awhile.

Oh and by the way, something I tell all newbies. Be sure and read this next bit of advice carefully. Don't forget to
    Stolen from EddieV:

User Info Menu

You had your hats at work? Do you have a really cool job, or did you just happen to have them with you?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Markadiddle, got it. I will remember that.

PastorBob, they arrived in the mail today. Drums at work? I wish! Someday maybe....