Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Constructive advice on my rudiments please

User Info Menu

Default Re: Constructive advice on my rudiments please

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    AO - I have to agree with all the others that have already posted. The best way to improve is, slow down, get the sticking nice and clean and then push yourself to go a little faster.

I noticed in your video(please don't take this the wrong way ) your double strokes are a bit loose. You need to slow down and really concentrate on getting them to sound consistent from hand to hand. Look at your sticks while you are practicing and keep the sticks at the same height.

The way to get faster is, keep practicing. Eventually, muscle memory will take over. I know rudiments are extremely boring, but practicing slow is the key. If you perform a task over and over and over, eventually muscle memory will kick in. You may also want to play along to a metronome. Start out at like 60bpm. If you can play nice even doubles, bump it up to 65bpm and just keep going. Also, you should be able to switch from 1/16th notes to doubles and not hear the difference.

I used to practice rudiments while watching a movie. I would switch between singles, doubles, paradiddles, etc. I would forget what my hands were doing because muscle memory took over. When I would focus on what I was practicing again, I would push myself to go a little faster.
    Thanx mate, definitely not taken the wrong way, that exactly why I put it up. I have to admit to finding it hard getting my left hand to keep up with my right. It is frustrating like you say, as although, before I stopped playing fifteen odd years ago, I thought I was ok, I now feel like I'm completely starting again. Back then there was no youtube or web help, everything i learnt was self taught, so got loads of bad habits. Now I am virtually a beginner, luckily, the stuff I did know has(kind of) helped my out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by agent_orange View Post
    Thanx mate, definitely not taken the wrong way, that exactly why I put it up. I have to admit to finding it hard getting my left hand to keep up with my right. It is frustrating like you say, as although, before I stopped playing fifteen odd years ago, I thought I was ok, I now feel like I'm completely starting again. Back then there was no youtube or web help, everything i learnt was self taught, so got loads of bad habits. Now I am virtually a beginner, luckily, the stuff I did know has(kind of) helped my out.
    I'm in the same boat as you my friend. I used to play 25+ years ago and am just starting up again. I have been playing again now for about a year. I though it would be like riding a bike. Not the case at all. It's amazing to me how much I've actually forgotten.

Another exercise for your left hand with doubles is this...

Count out loud, 1E+ah, play only 1E with your right hand over and over. Then switch and only play + ah with your left hand. ( I don't know if that made sense or not) . In other words, double strokes with just your right hand, then switch to the left.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Do you mean a double with one hand and a single with the other?
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who's starting out again. I had my whole kit stolen in '91 and I was so gutted and disillusioned I couldn't face getting another one. Now my kids are a little older and I've got a little more cash, I thought I'd give it another try. Been playing on my knees all that time, but as you know, that don't mean anything when you actually get on the kit!
    Last edited by agent_orange; 04-07-2013 at 11:11 AM. Reason: curse word,sorry

User Info Menu

Are you in a band now then, Mark? That's whats given me the push to get better, playing out live. You know, I can get by, but that's not good enough for me. It's the same when I'm surfing or on my MTB, I want to be as good as I can be. Mediocrity ain't no place to be! Wow, that make a good title for a song!! ha,ha!

User Info Menu

Do you mean a double with one hand and a single with the other?
    No, just alternate between hands. Play double strokes with just your right hand, then switch to your left hand and play doubles. Count them as 1/16th notes. Play the right hand, 1E(play double) +ah(don't play). The switch to left hand, 1E(don't play) +ah(play double). Sorry for the poor explanation. This was something I was working on with my drum teacher.

Are you in a band now then, Mark? That's whats given me the push to get better, playing out live. You know, I can get by, but that's not good enough for me. It's the same when I'm surfing or on my MTB, I want to be as good as I can be. Mediocrity ain't no place to be! Wow, that make a good title for a song!! ha,ha!
    I'm not currently playing in a band. I'm still trying to improve a bit and boost my confidence level.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

you should be able to switch from 1/16th note singles to doubles and not hear the difference.
    Great little piece of information there. so basic I had never thought of it.

I used to practice rudiments while watching a movie. I would switch between singles, doubles, paradiddles, etc. I would forget what my hands were doing because muscle memory took over. When I would focus on what I was practicing again, I would push myself to go a little faster.
    Another great Suggestion I try and do this but the roomates get a little annoyed.. lol
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living

Larrysperf Guest

All great info. One other way to build strength and speed once you know your ruds play on a pillow. Believe me this works

User Info Menu

I've taken everything everyone has said and slowed right down to a metronome. Wow, I really wasn't in control of them. I see exactly what you all mean now. I think I was trying to run before i could walk and that speed was everything. Someone once said 'Speed is nothing without control'. Thanx guys

User Info Menu

I've taken everything everyone has said and slowed right down to a metronome. Wow, I really wasn't in control of them. I see exactly what you all mean now. I think I was trying to run before i could walk and that speed was everything. Someone once said 'Speed is nothing without control'. Thanx guys

That's why everyone said to slow it down. Once the patterns are "muscle memory", the speed will come by itself, and with that will come control.

Patience grasshopper, patience.