Thread: Clean my drums

User Info Menu

Default Clean my drums

I don't have a lot to do today so I thought I would go into my drum room and clean my gretsch drums. They haven't been cleaned since the talent show. Going to use my air can to blow off the dust and then just wipe them down with a microfiber rag. Maybe use glass cleaner for the hoops. Can't wait until the middle of June that's when I will find out if I get invited to the finals in Reno,Nv at the arts festival. That will be fun. Any other advice on keeping my drums clean?

Keep drumming

Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: Clean my drums

db60, I'd skip the air can. All that will do is put any dust into the air, where it can settle back on your drums when you're all done.

Aside from that, any thoughts involve how much you want to detail your kit. Dusting with a microfiber cloth is great. You could also clean and polish all your hoops as well. That will will keep them looking nice, and protect them as well. If you want to get serious, you could take all the hardware off the shells, and clean and polish them, too. At the very least, if you clean the hoops, then get the heads off and check all the lug bolts for tightness. You don't want to crank on them, but make sure none are loose. When all that's done, don't forget your hardware, including a little lubrication for the bass pedal.

Have fun.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Pledge wipes is really all you need, then go over lightly with a dry micro fiber cloth. My kit is lacquer but pretty sure they would be good on wraps as well.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

will you be taking your own drums to Reno if asked? I'd be a little concerned about that more than anything.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

You should make sure you have some kind of moisture on your clothe when you wipe your kit, so that you don't scratch the shells. I use Mcquires detailing spray. The same stuff I use on my bikes.

User Info Menu

Here is a pic. of my 5 pc. gretsch catalina maple drum kit after cleaning it.

User Info Menu

You missed a bit!
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

Very nice!

User Info Menu

Better let me clean em instead. Promise i'll give em right back!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Nice kit!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks4drums View Post
    You should make sure you have some kind of moisture on your clothe when you wipe your kit, so that you don't scratch the shells. I use Mcquires detailing spray. The same stuff I use on my bikes.
    Does it work on the chrome too?

Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy60 View Post
    Here is a pic. of my 5 pc. gretsch catalina maple drum kit after cleaning it.

Looks great...........I'm going to have to bribe my kids soon............mine are getting pretty dusty

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy60 View Post
    I don't have a lot to do today so I thought I would go into my drum room and clean my gretsch drums. They haven't been cleaned since the talent show. Going to use my air can to blow off the dust and then just wipe them down with a microfiber rag. Maybe use glass cleaner for the hoops. Can't wait until the middle of June that's when I will find out if I get invited to the finals in Reno,Nv at the arts festival. That will be fun. Any other advice on keeping my drums clean?

Keep drumming

Gregg
    Hey Gregg , I have a Gretsch Renown kit . Graphite Sparkle , all I use is Windex !!!

User Info Menu

Careful using glass cleaners you guys. Ammonia does not get along with drums.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I use a swiffer duster to dust the shells and a soft cloth to polish the chrome. I do this every day. Takes like two minutes.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    Careful using glass cleaners you guys. Ammonia does not get along with drums.
    I only clean my drums 2x a month . Never had a problem with Windex .