Thread: Help! what should i buy?!

User Info Menu

Exclamation Help! what should i buy?!

Right so i have a pretty crappy kit. session pro starter jobby. I have now got some remo pinstripes (no reso heads) and the sabian solar crash, hi hats, and ride. What should i buy?! i have £200 ($320)... i was thinking perhaps a good crash and some reso heads?

User Info Menu

Exclamation Help! what should i buy?!

Right so i have a pretty crappy kit. session pro starter jobby. I have now got some remo pinstripes (no reso heads) and the sabian solar crash, hi hats, and ride. What should i buy?! i have £200 ($320)... i was thinking perhaps a good crash and some reso heads?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Help! what should i buy?!

Couldn't hurt to pick up an extra crash, although getting proper heads and tuning will help a lot with the kit's sound. Pinstripes are a good call for batters, i'd go with ambassadors for resos. Although we don't use the same exact kit, i've actually had a not so bad experience with using pinstripe as batter and emperor as a reso - sounded pretty nice and got my floor toms under control as they were a bit sustain rich previously. It's not a very popular choice but it's something to try for extra ringy drums, however most situations you will be fine with pins over ambassadors.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Err yes some reso heads would be fantastic. Good start

I would try and make that 200 pounds go as far as possible. Have a look for some used cymbals on the internet. And maybe try sell your Solars.

Oh, an welcome to DC mate!
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

Thanks mate

i was thinking as for the 200, 20 for a stand, 30 for some reso's, leaving 150 for the cymbal... can you recommend a crash?

and as for the solars, i dont think anyone would want them! :D

User Info Menu

Thanks mate

i was thinking as for the 200, 20 for a stand, 30 for some ambassador reso's, leaving 150 for the cymbal... can you recommend a crash?

User Info Menu

Options are large at that price point, especially if bought used. Personally I like Zildjian A's, or Sabian AA's.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

right so on ebay this fellow is selling '1 x Hand Hammered 20 inch Ride Cymbal - "HH Rock Ride"
    1 x Hand Hammered 18 inch Crash Cymbal - "HH Rock Crash"
    1 x Hand Hammered 10 inch Splash Cymbal - "HH Splash"
    1 x AAX 16 inch Crash Cymbal - "AAX Studio Crash"
    1 x AA 14 inch Hi-Hat Set - "AA Rock Hi-Hats"
    1 x Sabian Cymbal Bag'

(the aax crash has had a crack cut out)

he is selling all this for £325 - which i dont have. do i want this?

User Info Menu

I agree with Russ A's and AA's. These are great versatile cymbals for playing any genre of music. Very good investment. I play Vintage 70's era Zildjian A's for almost 35 years and love the sound of them.

User Info Menu

should i look for a pack or just a single crash?

User Info Menu

George, it seems that you might have your heart set on some new cymbals, but if the total cymbal deal on ebay is out of your budget range, don't torture yourself. To move up from the cymbals that you have, and still stay within your budget, I would consider the Sabian Xs20 line. You should be able to find those used, and at good prices that would help you get hi-hats, ride, and a crash. These are not full pro level cast cymbals, but they are definitely a cut above the usual beginner cymbals (ZBT's, ect.), and they have a nice sound.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeHandley View Post
    should i look for a pack or just a single crash?
    I would go out and get yourself a pro level ride, and crash. Look at the AAX stage series. Great sounding cymbals, at affordable prices.

User Info Menu

hmm, imma hve to make some decisions

But thank you guys, youve been so helpful this is like the best community :'D

User Info Menu

I would go out and get yourself a pro level ride, and crash. Look at the AAX stage series. Great sounding cymbals, at affordable prices.

User Info Menu

so dont worry so much about hi hats then?

User Info Menu

so dont worry so much about hi hats then?
    You can get those next. Or you can get a set of hats and one crash. Which cymbal that you have now bothers you the most. That should be what your decision is based on . You have to play the drums not us!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks4drums View Post
    You can get those next. Or you can get a set of hats and one crash. Which cymbal that you have now bothers you the most. That should be what your decision is based on . You have to play the drums not us!
    +1.........I'd definitely recommend to go with some used "pro" cymbals before upgrading anything else.

You can pick up some quality cymbals for $300 bones.................keep your eyes on Craigslist and Ebay..............even pawn shops

Good luck

User Info Menu

I would upgrade the hi hats and ride before the crash. You are going to be playing those two the most and you would still be able to crash on both of them.

User Info Menu

I started out with sabian solars, that crash is the worst thing in the history of crashes, its so pathetic sounding! definitely get a new crash, the only slightly acceptable thing about those sabian solar starter sets is that thin ride and the bell sound it has, I still have my solar ride cymbal to practice with!
    so, with that £200, I'd look around for a crash and some hats if poss, sometimes you can get lucky and find 2nd hand barely used ones that really add some punch and power to your kit!
    good luck, I picked up some amazing things while low on cash to upgrade my kit, a recording studio had some cymbals on display they wanted getting rid of and so my zildjian a custom hats and a custom crash, and sabian AAX ride, was bought as a bundle for a quarter of what they're actually worth just because they were on display and out their cases! bargain!
    so good luck, totally been there, lack of cash doesnt mean you cant find an excellent deal and jazz up your kit with some new stuff, at the very least treat yourself to a tasty crash cymbal and get rid of that weedy solar crash

User Info Menu

I have a sabian16" aax studio crash, sounds very nice and bright, I traded it for a 16"aa,which was a great trade IMO, the aa was darker sounding..these go for $90 -$110 on CL....my other crash is a 16"ufip class series medium weight, beautiful cymbal great compliment to the aax,but that was $240 ( new)..Good luck

User Info Menu

You can also find great hats on cl, I have Sabian HHX power hats I picked up for $150, they are $340 new, and they are in beautiful condition

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    George, it seems that you might have your heart set on some new cymbals, but if the total cymbal deal on ebay is out of your budget range, don't torture yourself. To move up from the cymbals that you have, and still stay within your budget, I would consider the Sabian Xs20 line. You should be able to find those used, and at good prices that would help you get hi-hats, ride, and a crash. These are not full pro level cast cymbals, but they are definitely a cut above the usual beginner cymbals (ZBT's, ect.), and they have a nice sound.
    I'm going to agree with PB here. Xs20's are great cymbals! I own 2 crashes (16 and 18) and the 14 high-hats. I got these new and they were each around 120-160 USD so I imagine you might be able to get 2 of the cymbals used for around the same price. It will most likely be a little bit higher, though. Good luck with your cymbal search!

User Info Menu

Heads for sure! But my head suggestion would be Evans G2 Level 360 heads! They are amazing, and very easy to tune.
    FILL YOUR LIFE WITH INSPIRATION TO INSPIRE

DW Collectors - Paragon - Vic Firth -