Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: playin hard, or playin soft

User Info Menu

One part of drumming that often get's overlooked is "control" - that's half the point of the rudiments - to learn to control yourlsef. So that way, if the song, or part calls to be quiet - it can be - if it should be loud - it can be and you can switch back and forth as necassary.

I have come across so many drummer who just can't seem to control themselves, no matetr what the song or situation. ESPECIALLY when it comes to the kick - why is it so hard for drummers to pull back on the power of the kick during a soft/ballad song or section? Volume control is one of the biggest keys to being a dynamic or good drummer IMO. A drummer who is too loud forces the rest of the band to be louder and the overall sound to be louder, which sometimes is a good thing (hardcore, metal etc..., being in a big room) but for other occasions you need to be softer, but still be able to play the same.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

I'm from the school of playing hard. I like dynamics but I tend to pound em when the song allows this. Heavy hitters get crap for playing hard at times. Believe it or not it's TALENT to hit hard and keep your stamina and consistency up. Look at guys like Taylor Hawkins from the Foo Fighters. He's not very technical but not many guys can keep up with him. That's why the Foos stole him from Alanis. Blessings....

User Info Menu

Thats a but like saying that it takes talent to drink through your nose. Yes it does, but if you drink through your mouth its a lot easyer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnysimmo View Post
    Thats a but like saying that it takes talent to drink through your nose. Yes it does, but if you drink through your mouth its a lot easyer.
    I guess I don't see the connection......Blessings.......

User Info Menu

Dynamic contrast is a very important aspect of music that a lot of bands and musicians seem to forget about. Any musician should be able to play at any dynamic level based on the needs of the song. Dynamic levels should change not only from song to song but within the context of the song as well. Playing loud is much more effective when it follows as section of playing softly. It is the contrast that helps make the music more interesting.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.