Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: playin hard, or playin soft

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default playin hard, or playin soft

which ones do you play/ want to be able to play

me personally I want to be able to play quitly and very techincal, I hate playing loud, for the most part.

User Info Menu

Lafirin, I agree that I don't want to just play loud, but I also don't want to play soft either. I want people to say that I played in a volume that was exactly what was right for the song.

When I listen to the music of the '60's and '70's, I am impressed with the range of drumming that I hear. Everything from soft ballads to hard driving "Acid Rock." I want to be able to play both.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

dude me too! i want people to say that exact thing, we have the same dreams :O!

User Info Menu

Cool! Drummer says that playing for the song is what is important. I think this fits that ideal.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

seems to me alot of drummers like to play loud and hard, which is fine, but i wanna have alot of range to my playing.

User Info Menu

Cool playin' hard or playin' soft

When I first began playing with my church's guitar group, I was a little more timid and tentative than I am now (yeah, sounds hard to believe!), and the group leader only half-kiddingly commented, "You can never play too loud."

But, as drummer pointed out--and man, he nailed it!--playing for the song is the goal. On a gospel-flavored song (such as "Soon and Very Soon") it's not only cool to tear up the congas, it fits the beat and the feel of that tune. On a slower, more contemplative song, such as "On Eagle's Wings," the percussion takes a back seat and enhances the tempo.

It's part of the learning process, Lafirin--there are times you want to rock out on the drums, and there are times where, as the old commercial once put it, "if you want to get their attention, whisper." Sometimes you use the 7Bs, sometimes you use the brushes...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Loud and hard here!

User Info Menu

That is almsot the exact thing that happend to our old drummer at our church. (hes gone to university now) but at first he was very timid and then after about a year he started playing with a bit more Umph i guess you could say. I guess we get all caught up all these minor details and the truth of the matter is, where all going to learn it eventually, i think thats my problem, getting caught up in the little things of drummin.

User Info Menu

I'm guilty of being a caveman. But then again, I only really play to music where that is appropriate. Why? That's what I love.

User Info Menu

I'm going to just say a few things:
    1) Manowar: Gods of War (2007)
    2) Play the timpani parts on my toms.
    3) You now have the dynamic ability of Neil Peart.

User Info Menu

I'd like to play with Dynamics. To be able to move elegantly from subtle, softer riffs into ear bleeding metal drumming. Much like Opeth.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hellsbells58 View Post
    Much like Opeth.

HB58
    SUPERB BAND! But only when the singer doesnt growl/cough/vomit. I hate growling. LEARN TO SING INSTEAD! A realy good voice is MUCH more dnamic´and impressive than growling. (to my ears)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnysimmo View Post
    SUPERB BAND! But only when the singer doesnt growl/cough/vomit. I hate growling. LEARN TO SING INSTEAD! A realy good voice is MUCH more dnamic´and impressive than growling. (to my ears)

I think Cookie Monster should stick to playing with Ernie & Bert.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pdplayer View Post
    I am with you Laf, it is already more technical just playing softer or quiter, it is so much more difficult to play softer or quiter than hard and heavy, playing softer does not allow for mistakes, playing harder and louder leaves the door wide open, I actually just went down to a 7A stick just for this reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsbells58 View Post
    I'd like to play with Dynamics. To be able to move elegantly from subtle, softer riffs into ear bleeding metal drumming. Much like Opeth.

HB58
    im with yeah HB, mabye not with the same genre, but id love to have great dynamic to my playing.

and PD, i totally agree, playing loud is like playing an electric guitar with distortion, you can mess up but nobdy will notice that much, but if you play quit its like an acoustic guitar, you gotta be bang on. (not on dissing heavy hitters)

Shazane Guest

Why not be loud and technical?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shazane View Post
    Why not be loud and technical?
    You absolutely can, I just think it is more difficult to play quite and technical, then loud and technical, just my thought.

User Info Menu

HAHAHA! Nice one!

User Info Menu

Truth is, singing is the rarest of talents (IMO).

User Info Menu

Yes. Anyone can learn to sing to a certain degree, but a truly beutiful vouce is a rare, fantastic talent.

User Info Menu

I can't sing worth a crap........ LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin View Post
    which ones do you play/ want to be able to play

me personally I want to be able to play quitly and very techincal, I hate playing loud, for the most part.
    I am with you Laf, it is already more technical just playing softer or quiter, it is so much more difficult to play softer or quiter than hard and heavy, playing softer does not allow for mistakes, playing harder and louder leaves the door wide open, I actually just went down to a 7A stick just for this reason.

drums-rock Guest

I try to kinda play both so just fits in perfect....... but that usually does'nt happen lol

User Info Menu

that works too, you can be quit and loud, and be technical. I didnt wanna sound like you could only be technical by being quite, thats absolutely not the case.

User Info Menu

Play it hard. Play it fast. I do love messing with dynamics, but when I'm just jamming, it's simply time to piss the neighbours off.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

You've got to vary it. When I play for my band, for the genre I play, I need to play hard. And most of the time when I'm not playing for my band I play hard. But when I do fills I like to quieten (sorry about spelling) down and try and get in accents make sure I'm playing the right rudiments.