Thread: Agghhhhh to many choices :-(

User Info Menu

Default Agghhhhh to many choices :-(

Hi am getting back into drumming after a short break well tryin to find the right kit in a mission in its self loads of mouth watering drum choices out there now compared to when I bought my pearl exports 13 years ago well I sold them last year to fix my car :-/ never thought I would play again how ever the wife has gave me the go ahead to get a new kit woohoo! :-)

The only problem is I don't know which to get I had my mind set on mapex meridian birch coz of the free Tom deal plus comes with hardware
    Tama hyperdrive mmmm
    Then I saw the gretsch catalina maple 6 piece with no hard ware

An now the dw pdp maple which look lovely but there a bit more expensive are they worth it? I dunno what to do I understand that it's personal pref. but as I live too far from any descent drum shop to try before I buy I would like to ask you guys what you think thanks in advance :-)
    Last edited by Willo79; 05-01-2013 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Correct spelling

User Info Menu

Default Re: Agghhhhh to many choices :-(

Welcome to Drum Chat Willo79!

I can honestly say that you will get good reviews from the members on all of the kits that you are considering. The Mapex Meridian kits are good quality, and any free add-on sweetens the deal. The hardware is nice (find out how sturdy it is), as long as it's not bumping up the price too much. If so, I would prefer to choose my own.

I can certainly vouch for the Gretsch Catalina Maple kit. I play one, and like the Mapex Meridians, you will find them to be of good solid quality.

I can't speak for the Tama Hyperdrive, but there are some here that can, and I'll also let the PDP guys speak to that side of things, too.

Enjoy the thrill of the hunt Willo!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Cat maples are an excellent choice, but be warned like most of their drums they have a vintage style sound due to their 30 degree bearing edge profiles. They are an excellent kit for getting an older warmer kind of tone. 30 degree roundovers(if they are using roundover in addition to the 30deg) tend to give a drum a lot of body but cuts down on sustain, attack, and volume. The reason why this happens is because the countercut to the edge going into the shell is rounded, and so it achieves a lot more contact with the head than say a 45 degree single.

It's tough to compare these two kits fairly because birch is a different beast entirely from maple. Birch has more cut, but it speaks brightly with a strong sense of low end. Not much mid tones here, but that's what maple is for. Maple has strong mids and good lows, so it tends to be the most well rounded shell that's commonly available at the same time. It also has more sustain than birch, so be prepared to dampen if the situation calls for it. As for which kit? That depends on budget, configuration, any brand preferences, type of sound you want, etc.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

every kit you listed I believe you will be happy with. its nice with so many great kits to choose from you can do what everyone always says not to do . go with which ever one looks the best.
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living

User Info Menu

Ok so I take the gretsch are quieter drum not good for live situ without being mic'd up?

For the sound I want I honestly don't know really haha I've grew up wiv rock. the band I was in when I was a kid played Beatles, queen, classic rock etc but I've always been int funkier type of music. R,n,b Motown Erm anythink with a good groove to really if ya get me Ive got no plans at mo to be in a band but would like to be one day just hard in the line of work am in at mo my hearts torn between the Mapex an gretsch
    the pdp drums are more coz I like dw drums than anythink else so dunno is it worth payin the extra for them?

Thanks for your replies guys really helpful :-)

User Info Menu

The Catalina Maple is a fine choice, it's just that the bearing edge is of a vintage styling. I don't think you can go wrong with it at all. I consider it one of the best deals in maple drums right now, with the Tama silverstar being my ideal choice in a birch kit. Have you played these kits, or watched any videos of them being played?
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

^What all the others have said. My only suggestion is this...

Head to your local music store(s), grab a pair of sticks and hit stuff. Your ears will guide you, grasshopper.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Buy the set you want. Everything else is superfluous.

You can test drive them in the store, but, as soon as you move them, the sound will change, maybe a little, maybe a lot.

Your actual ability to tune them with whatever heads you choose to use is going to mean more than what they are made of, what the bearing edges are, be they 30, 45 or 62 1/2.

I've had the Ludwigs that I kept after selling off my other sets, for over 40 years. Haven't a clue as to what the bearing edges are, mainly because I could care less.

Buy the set that appeals to you, everything else will fall into place.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Buy the set you want. Everything else is superfluous. Buy the set that appeals to you, everything else will fall into place.
    ^This x1,000,000,000^

(Get a SONOR kit, though... )

User Info Menu

Ive watched a few demo's on YouTube they all sound great :-)

Am gunna try an get to a drum store this weekend, just a pain the nearest one to me is about a hours drive :-/

Thanks for your help guys

User Info Menu

Best way to do it man, try before you buy! The variables in store are that it might have bad tuning and you're playing in a room with high ceilings, but you should get a pretty good idea if you listen close enough.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Buy the set you want. Everything else is superfluous.

You can test drive them in the store, but, as soon as you move them, the sound will change, maybe a little, maybe a lot.

Your actual ability to tune them with whatever heads you choose to use is going to mean more than what they are made of, what the bearing edges are, be they 30, 45 or 62 1/2.

I've had the Ludwigs that I kept after selling off my other sets, for over 40 years. Haven't a clue as to what the bearing edges are, mainly because I could care less.

Buy the set that appeals to you, everything else will fall into place.
    Isn't your set made up of multiple brands like Rogers and Slingerland too?
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Isn't your set made up of multiple brands like Rogers and Slingerland too?

They are all Ludwig except for the floor tom that I sometimes put on the left side.

I have posted in the past that I have owned a set of Rogers and a set of Slingerland, maybe that's what you are thinking of.
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 05-02-2013 at 04:13 AM. Reason: ---

User Info Menu

have you considered going used?
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Admitted Tamaholic here, the Superstar Hyper-drives are an amazing deal on drums. You get a kit with a ton of high end features (die cast hoops, starcast mounting system, solid birch shells) at a mid-range price! Also Tama probally has some of the most reliable hardware on the planet.
    I play Superstar Accel's I use them live and in the studio, they sound great, look great and I've had zero problems with them.
    My second choice out of what you listed would be the Gretsch.

User Info Menu

Yeah not seen any think that I like an when I do see a kit I like they live too far for me to pick up etc
    an like I say am in no rush to get the full package ie full set of cymbals etc coz am not in a band at the min so I can take my time on gettin all the cymbals I want
    I want to spend the bulk of my budget on a good kit an get a crappy pair of hi- hats an a crash for cheap just to practice on until I've saved enuff to get a good set etc
    i know it sounds mad but as you know cymbals are easier to trade an swap if u don't like them but a drum kit needs to be right coz its gunna be stuck with it for a while
    my heads swinging towards the pdp I realy like the look of them an music radar gave them a really good write up about them but gretsch mapex an tama did too hahaha I wish I could just win the lottery ill buy them all
    I rang up a drum shop who stock them pdp if I order a set I won't get them till July mmmm are they worth the wait well it gives me more time to save

thanks again for your help guys

User Info Menu

Not sure whether or not this was brought up, but you may want to consider buying used. In my experience I have been able to get much more for my dollar that way. Buying a higher quality kit in used but still nice condition, rather than paying top dollar for a brand new one. As long as the previous owner took nice care of it, you should be good. The lower price that comes with buying used could also allow you more room for better cymbals and hardware.

Good luck with your search!
    -MCD
    Gretsch Catalina Club Modern (Gold/Silver & Black Sparkle)
    12x8 Tom, 16x14 Floor, 22x20 Kick - Evans Heads
    14x5 Vintage Ludwig Acrolite Black Sparkle Snare - Remo Head (Remo on Snares FTW!)
    DW 7000 Double Pedals
    DW 5000 Hi Hat Stand
    14" Zildjian A New Beat Hi Hats
    16" Zildjian A Thin Crash
    18" Zildjian A Rock Crash
    20" Zildjian A Ping Ride (Vintage)
    8" Wuhan New Traditional Splash
    Aquarian Studio Rings
    RhythmTech Tambourine

User Info Menu

As to brand names...A lot of guys idolize a certain drummer and buy what he plays. One way to choose.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I always but new or near new , prices have dropped in the last ten years ... What was cutting edge is now standard in most brands

User Info Menu

I have a pdp x7 and i'm really happy with the results. That being said I have played a Mapex and they are excellent drums they probably have some of the strongest hardware.

if u wanna hear how the pdp sounds check out the videos on this thread.
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...mer-28396.html

User Info Menu

Hello guys cheers for your help

I've ended up ordering the mapex meridian viper
    Woohoo just waiting for it to arrive

I was thinking going second hand but these drums caught my eye an I love the look of them. Plus there maple/ birch hybrid shells so got best of both worlds