Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cajons

User Info Menu

Default Cajons

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to buy a cajon. I have not owned one before but have played them many times and think I could find a lot of uses for it. However I currently do not have a ton of money to spend on this as I also need some other things. I would like to keep this around $150. I can go over, but I would prefer not to. What is the best-sounding cajon for around that price?

I am also wondering about the Meinl Slap Top Cajon, as it's played more like a regular drum rather than sitting on top of it. Has anyone here actually tried this one out in person? There are videos of it, but every one sounds pretty different and I have read mixed reviews.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cajons

Hi pcs90, I am sure you can find a cajon for that price. Meinl has many in that range. They even have a diy kit. I think you have to make the decision as to what is the best sounding. I personally use the Gon Bop, Alex Acuna signature special and it works for my current needs (church worship music), if I was playing in a more rock focused band I would get something else--more snare sound, louder. You will have to find the cajon to fit your needs.

User Info Menu

How are your woodworking skill? If you can cut plywood in a straight line like I can't, make your own.
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.

User Info Menu

The Meinl "Headliner" series sounds great at a decent price. Picked mine up last year for just over 100 bones.

User Info Menu

Meinl has do it your self kits so if you can read directions, paint/stain and other basic wood working stuff and spare $50 then theres your answer. They advertise kids building it. so it cant be to hard

User Info Menu

Someone once suggested gutting an appropriately sized stereo speaker and putting a 1/4" plywood front on it. I think I read it here on Drum Chat, but it could have come from anywhere.
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.

User Info Menu

i got one from RT custom cajons, shameful thing is i've never used it.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

I'm looking too, and I saw some by Newl on Ebay. They have vids on youtube. Same here I want quality at a good price.

User Info Menu

you can buy cheap ones on ebay that you build yourself, £30-£40 i think.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

I have seen the kits..but i worry about getting the parts for a adjustable snare for these..if of course you are interested in a string cajon like I am.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

Ravenest13 Guest

With the dates posted on this subject I was wondering if the question ultimately was answered... or if entry level to pro level is a concern.

User Info Menu

I've not seen anyone use a cajon at a live gig, I don't know why.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Cajons

I don't know why either, 8beat....if you know all the right moves, you can coax an amazing amount of sound out of a cajon...and, if you're doing hand percussion in a seated position, it can do double duty as the seat and as the beat!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Well, I'm finally going to get one of these, and it will be used in a live situation as part of a church percussion set-up. Probably not a lot since we have a set player as well, but I'll find spots for it! Covering drum set beats is not its only use, though cajons are very good for that. Just have to figure out the best way to mic it to get both snare and bass as we only have 1 extra channel.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    Depends on whether you're talking about an acoustic-based kind of gig or something a bit louder. I'm in the market for one at the moment to do a few café-type of gigs with a couple of people playing semi-acoustic guitars, who've been asking me for ages to do some stuff with them. I'm telling them to hold on until I can get to grips with the basis first! Lol.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    I have two because of seeing them at live gigs. I bought one on eBay and just finished building a smaller one from scrap I scavenged from the trash. I suppose I should get some pics.
    Jack

User Info Menu

I was never exactly sure what they were, but this thread prompted me to investigate. Now, I want one. It would be great to have for those porch parties where we all sit around and play acoustic Blues and stuff. I think I'll attempt to build my own.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Found an old 24"w x 46"L coffee table with a 5/8"TH oak top. It even has a nice reciprocating grain pattern decorative design in the outer ply. I'm thinking it has "Cajon Project" written all over it.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Aw no don't cut up the coffee table.

User Info Menu

I just bought a Meinal brand cajon for $99 at guitar center. Its not bad for my first one that I have ever played. I finally figured out how to get a nice bass sound out of it (not consistently.) It has been really fun to play! I did play one that was really nice... a sonic boom form pearl. It was way out of my price range at $250 but it sounded really nice!

User Info Menu

Meinl by far makes the best sounding cajon's for their price. I own an oak cajon, I have played acoustic remakes of linkin park songs on it before with some friends, but if you're looking for a person who has used it live look up boyce avenue on YouTube, they also have recorded several covers with them and they sound great. If your looking for a snare sound get an oak string snare cajon, if a bassier sound is what want go for a mahogany or cherry with a regular snare, I personally do not like adjustable snares because then you can't really hit the sides which produce more of a bongo sound. Cajon's are great for street performances which if you don't do much on the street I highly suggest you grab a guitarist buddy or another musician and give it a shot, even if you don't know what you want to do or don't have an "act" do it anyway it's tons of fun and people always ask about your "beatbox". Of course if you have skill with woodworking, or even if you don't there are some great videos on making your own custom cajons on the cheap with a good sound.
    Last edited by The_Epsicle; 11-04-2013 at 07:51 PM. Reason: grammar fix.

User Info Menu

The Meinl cajons that I've played generally seemed pretty dead to me, not really any tone. But maybe those were just bad ones. I have a cajon made by X8 Percussion, snare is not adjustable, but I can't see why I'd want to change it. It sounds great and the bass literally has almost no rattle from the snares, the tones are very distinct. The sides also have a lot more tone than most cajons I tried in stores.

User Info Menu

I was tapping on an old acoustic guitar the other day and it struck me - is this really so different from a cajon?

There are zillions of old acoustic guitars around, people give them away sometimes.

User Info Menu

One piece of information I have heard by the majority of people I had asked is stay away from adjustable snares. They are unreliable and don't always work as they should. Not something I want to deal with whether playing a gig or just practicing.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

This is the one I ended up with, the LP Mario Cortes model. Really nice bass tone, decent snare sound. I have heard snappier snares but it's probably my poor technique to be honest! It had the best overall sound out of the ones that I tried in the shop.

I tried to add a picture but it didn't work, will try again!
    Last edited by red1; 12-16-2013 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Tried to insert picture!