Thread: First lesson in the books!

User Info Menu

Default First lesson in the books!

Had my first lesson last night. He introduced me to 3 of the rudiments on a practice pad (single stroke, double stroke, paradiddle) then we moved them to a kit. Then finished with a basic rock beat. I'm loving it!

After just having the set for a week and just a 1 hour lesson, I'm already more comfortable in my grasp of the instrument than I ever was with my guitar.

User Info Menu

Default Re: First lesson in the books!

Quote Originally Posted by foochcky View Post
    Had my first lesson last night. He introduced me to 3 of the rudiments on a practice pad (single stroke, double stroke, paradiddle) then we moved them to a kit. Then finished with a basic rock beat. I'm loving it!

After just having the set for a week and just a 1 hour lesson, I'm already more comfortable in my grasp of the instrument than I ever was with my guitar.
    Go to youtube and find Manic Mechanic by ZZ Top.
    Listen to the paradiddle played as the beat between the bass and snare.
    No better example out there.
    Congrats on your wise decision to begin the lessons.
    A combination of work and fun................
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by foochcky View Post

Hey foochcky, that's great news!! Find a means to record yourself. It could be just audio but even better, go video. You'll be surprised how much it can help identify things that fly by rather quickly that may need some attention or work.

My bandmates record every practice. After each session is over, we playback the DAW (digital audio workstation) on the PC and we listen and crtique our performance immediately before any issues fall in between the cracks. If anybody complains about my tempo, I listen with an open mind, then blame the bass player. It works all the time. If I over-play any sections of the music, I'll blame the two loud guitarist for cranking their amps too loud.

Once you start jamming with other musicians, you'll find yourself defending the onslaught of finger pointing that generally surrounds the drummer. My bandmates have gotten behind my use of a metronome at every practice. They even ask me what bpm their favorite songs are played at. Numbers that I shout out now have validity and I've grown accustom to writing down the bpm numbers from my metronome next to each song on the set list. If I get any flack for speeding up or slowing down, I'll refer back to the numbers. Works like a charm!

Do you own a metronome? Does your drum instructor force you to play to one?? If not, save some dough and research and find the one that best suits your style and practice regiment. You'll find your progress will be marked by how much control you have over your sticking verses how well you can keep up with the 'nome. Good luck and keep your thread alive by occasionally checking in and updating us just like you did with the start of this thread.

User Info Menu

Rich, Ricardo,

You know that I have a lot of respect for the 2 of you, but, I have to disagree with this.

The guy has had 1 lesson, let him get some time under his belt before he starts trying to play with songs, no matter how simple they may be, or even make a video of himself.

I think we tend to forget those first weeks on the drums when we were just trying to get the basic coordination down, be comfortable on our set-up (which most of us probably changed a few times at the beginning) and just getting used to holding the sticks.

There is plenty of time for both, I just think 1 lesson isn't enough.

User Info Menu

I'm gonna agree with Rick on this one. But when he gets a bit more experience under his belt, the other advice is sound!

Congrats on the lesson, sounds like you're having fun.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

I think videoing yourself practice no matter how experienced you are is a good idea. Then you can actually see the mistakes you're making.
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    12"x9", 14"x14", 16"x16", 22"x18"

Addiction Drum Design custom 14"x7" segment snare
    Ludwig Epic 14"x7" "Brick" snare with custom paint
    DW Collector's Series 14"x6.5" Black Nickel Over Brass snare

Zildjian A Custom
    14" Mastersound HiHats
    16" Projection Crash
    18" Projection Crash
    21" Rezo Ride

Evans Drum Heads

Meinl Cajon
    Meinl Large Studio Shaker
    LP Egg Shaker
    LP Cyclops Tambourine

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ljmarch View Post
    I think videoing yourself practice no matter how experienced you are is a good idea. Then you can actually see the mistakes you're making.

Give the guy a chance to learn something without seeing himself make mistakes right from the get-go.

If they are technique mistakes, chances are, he wouldn't be able to tell, anything else and he still probably wouldn't be able to tell.

Let the teacher do his job and he can make a video a couple of months down the road.

User Info Menu

Congratulation foochcky! Taking those first steps are the coolest! Welcome to the world of drumming.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Good stuff Foochky! Hopefully the guidance of your teacher will spur your curiosity and lead you down the path of good, solid practice and learning so that you will eventually master your instrument. Just remember, take it one day at a time brother!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Wasn't Ricardo just giving the guy an example?? didn't tell him to play along with the song.

Congrats Foochky on starting the drums, lessons are the way to go, stick with it, it won't always be easy but you'll have plenty of fun along the way.

cheers Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    Wasn't Ricardo just giving the guy an example?? didn't tell him to play along with the song.

Congrats Foochky on starting the drums, lessons are the way to go, stick with it, it won't always be easy but you'll have plenty of fun along the way.

cheers Mark

Yeah, you are right. I looked at it, read it wrong.

Apologies Ricardo.

User Info Menu

Thanks ALL you guys! I caught myself walking around the house with the sticks in my hand, like a little kid! Lol Made me smile. So once I realized it I actually made it a point to keep one in my left hand all night last night. Once my instructor showed me the proper grip, my left hand feels more uncomfortable than it did before (I'm a righty), so I figured when I'm not able to practice I'll train my brain anyway.

I appreciate everyone's input. While I'm obviously not ready to play a song yet I did check out that ZZ top song to hear the example. You old timers (40+ like me ) will remember the one song I keep listening to over and over because it has the basic beat I learned the other night, is "Stone Cold" by Rainbow. Love it!

And I am looking to get a metronome, but a resource that I'm using now is on the Vic Firth website. Where it shows all the rudiments there's an audio track I can play at different speeds like a metronome. I was listening to the "diamond level". It's so lightning fast that I couldn't help but laugh as I play the "bronze"! Thanks again for the encouragement. As you probably remember when you all started, it really helps! I'll keep you all posted!