Thread: Help with Snare wire?

User Info Menu

Default Help with Snare wire?

HELP!!! i have a gig in 3 days and my snare wire wont hold up because the shoelace I'm using to hold it up keeps slipping:( what can i use to hold it up? i can't use the strips because its vintage and wont fit the wire.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Help with Snare wire?

So its string only? you cant use anything else? can you get some snare cord? Go to any hardware or craft store and buy some sinewy string or string that can handle the load if you don't have a music store nearby. good luck

User Info Menu

hemp chord is a great one. I use it on most of my restores. It is the strongest non-synthetic chord you can get and it doesn't slip on any of my stuff.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

cut strips from an old head

User Info Menu

go to music store, purchase snare wire to hold it in place.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Your local music shop should have options- a shoelace isn't strong enough to hold that kind of tension. A music store should have actual snare string, or a few companies now make a rubber-coated metal wire you can use. Careful with the metal wire though, if it's a valuable vintage drum you'll probably want to use something softer.
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove

User Info Menu

i live in southern Utah and all of the music stores suck. i went to get a 14" snare head and they didnt have one if that puts in a perspective. but thanks for the responses

User Info Menu

Good string will work. If it's not thick enough double or triple it.
    Shoe laces are usually elastic so they "fail."
    Vintage drums don't usually have strainers that handle anything but string or cord at the throw-off but some, old butt plates will still take the plastic strips or ribbon.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lukeatoopis View Post
    i went to get a 14" snare head and they didnt have one if that puts in a perspective.
    You just blew my mind a little bit.

Ok...something that holds enough tension to hold the snares up, and you can find around town but won't damage the drum. Fishing line, maybe? Not sure what kind of pressure it can support. Maybe you could get some metal wire and pad all the points where it comes in contact with the drum with felt...that's a risky game. Or maybe leather instead?

Good luck man, that's a tough situation. I know you're under a time deadline but if I were you i'd order a stockpile of heads, snare wires, and extra tension rods online!
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zzzdanz View Post
    I think this is a cool idea even though I've never tried it, myself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zzzdanz View Post
    Took the words right out of my mouth.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

small fishing metal leader.( i use them for pike fishing its like a metal string with swivel not the greatest but it will work