Thread: Best Hi Hats?

User Info Menu

Question Best Hi Hats?

Hey guys

So at the mo im using 13" Sabian PRO's, but they just arent cutting it for me. I have 50 quid, plus i will sell them probably for another £50

So, this leads me to my question, what are the best overall hi hats for $150 - 160? and this is on ebay, so new we are talking more like $300...

User Info Menu

Default Re: Best Hi Hats?

I don't know about the best, but Zildjian A's and Sabian AA's are probably the most versatile hats out there. I've seen pairs, in fair to good condition, go for as little as $100 on the secondhand market, but $125-$150 is probably a more common price point.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

If you can find some used Zildjian new beats on Fleabay for what's in your budget, I'd say go for that.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

+1 on the Zildjian New Beats. Zildjian Master Sound are really nice also. Even a pair of Zildjian Quick Beats aren't bad.

I found a pair of New Beats on Fleabay for $175 last year and they are fantastic.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Best is extremely subjective. What sounds 'best' to me might not sound best to you.

Are we talking 150 USD? I snagged a wonderful set of 13" Sabian Paragon hats for $125. Deals are out there if you look.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Best is extremely subjective. What sounds 'best' to me might not sound best to you.

Are we talking 150 USD? I snagged a wonderful set of 13" Sabian Paragon hats for $125. Deals are out there if you look.
    100% agree with the first statement.

For the Sabian Paragon statement...you should be ashamed. You stole them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    100% agree with the first statement.

For the Sabian Paragon statement...you should be ashamed. You stole them.
    I know. They looked brand new. I love them. I also snagged a 14" XS20 for $60 bucks. Didn't like them...sold them for profit.

Got a Sabian El Sabor ride for $125 too. KILLER ride...might sell it though to fund an AAX rbdr.

User Info Menu

There are plenty of good deals to be had, you just have to look and be somewhat patient. I got a magnificent set of 60's Zildjian 14" New Beats by trading a guy my old set of Sabian ProSonix hat. No money involved!

New beats are great sounding and versatile. Take a look for some of those and see how you like them.
    Last edited by dirtysticks; 05-21-2013 at 09:12 AM.
    -Tama Granstar II (12x11, 16x16, 22x16)
    -Yamaha 7000 Series (12x8, 13x9, 16x16 22x18)
    -Crush Sublime E3 (12x8, 16x14, 24x17)
    -Pearl Mixed Series kit (8x7, 10x8, 15x13, 20x14)
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -HHG Purpleheart/Cherry Stave 7x14
    -HHG Red Birch Stave 7x14
    -Pearl Masters MCX 5.5x14
    -Pearl Steel (Pre-Sensitone) 6.5x14
    -Pearl Vintage Professional Series 6.5x14
    -Tama Imperialstar Seamless Steel 6.5x14
    -Tama Soundworks Maple 6.5x14
    -Premier (African Mahogany with Beech Re-rings) 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Wuhan Traditional Cymbals
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

I would mabey sujest wait a little bit longer save up for something nicer but i want HHX click hats. or the sabian compression hats

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    If you can find some used Zildjian new beats on Fleabay for what's in your budget, I'd say go for that.
    These were my first set of hats after my B8's. for 130usd I got a great used pair. Very versatile an spud awesome!
    Love my Gretsch sound!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    i agree with this ,, but get 14 inch...
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Love my Zildjian Mastersounds. 13" A Custom and 14" Avedis. I also run a 14" ReZo Top over a 14" A Mastersound bottom.

I'm in the minority and New Beats are just ok to me. Nothing special in my opinion. I like a solid foot chick, which is why I love Mastersounds so much. Sabian and Paiste also have that style as well.

Sabian Xcelerators and Paiste Sound Edge's for the rippled/solid foot chick bottom.

But if you're looking for a general answer amongst drummers, everyone says you can't go wrong with Zildjian New Beats, so if you want to be safe, go with them, if not, do some more listening and research on others. Some say vintage New Beats are better than the newer ones, but I have no idea when the vintage years of New Beats would be. It's just what I've read and heard online.

Be patient. There are great deals out there on used cymbals. Some cymbals I bought used but they look brand new. Just have fun and be patient and you'll find some killer deals out there.
    DW Collectors
    Twisted Blue Oyster
    Toms: 8x10, 8x12, 12x14, 14x16 [Evans G2 Coated/Evans Clear Genera Resonant/G1]
    Kick: 18x20 [Evans EMAD2 White/EQ3 Coated White + Kickport]
    Pure Maple Standard Shells
    Chrome Hardware

Snare: 6x13 DW Edge Snare - Tiger Oyster - Chrome Hardware
    Aux: 5x12 Pork Pie Little Squealer
    RotoToms: 6 - 8 - 10 - Remo Pinstripe Clear
    Evans & Remo Heads

Cymbals
    Zildjian A Custom
    Zildjian A Series
    Zildjian EFX
    Zildjian K & K Custom
    Sabian Paragon

User Info Menu

Don't forget to also keep an eye out for second hand Paistes, UFIPS (if they will go that cheap second hand in your part of the world) and Meinls too. If you ever by chance come across a pair of Paiste 2002 Sound Edge hi-hats (they're the ones that have a distinct 'waved-edge' bottom cymbal, and are in 14", 15" and I believe even in 13", but I'll have to double check that smaller size)....go for it! They're crisp as. If I was looking at Zildjian, my fave from the 80's is the 13" Zildjian K/Z combo (K Zildjian top, Z Zildjian bottom). I remember trying a set of those ages ago before I shopped for my Paistes, I really liked those Zildjians when I tried them.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by druski_2k5 View Post
    Love my Zildjian Mastersounds. 13" A Custom and 14" Avedis. I also run a 14" ReZo Top over a 14" A Mastersound bottom.

I'm in the minority and New Beats are just ok to me. Nothing special in my opinion. I like a solid foot chick, which is why I love Mastersounds so much. Sabian and Paiste also have that style as well.

Sabian Xcelerators and Paiste Sound Edge's for the rippled/solid foot chick bottom.

But if you're looking for a general answer amongst drummers, everyone says you can't go wrong with Zildjian New Beats, so if you want to be safe, go with them, if not, do some more listening and research on others. Some say vintage New Beats are better than the newer ones, but I have no idea when the vintage years of New Beats would be. It's just what I've read and heard online.

Be patient. There are great deals out there on used cymbals. Some cymbals I bought used but they look brand new. Just have fun and be patient and you'll find some killer deals out there.
    I have 13" A Custom Mastersounds on my practice kit. Great cut through heavy music. Not quite as musical as my Paragons though. But I do like them.