Thread: Absolute Beginner - Snare Drum Sufficient?

User Info Menu

Default Absolute Beginner - Snare Drum Sufficient?

Hi All,

I've tried searching here on the site, and figure this has to have been addressed previously, but I had no success in locating threads like this. So here goes. I'm an absolute beginner at drums, and have not done the first thing to start learning, which I guess is good since I've learned nothing bad. I'm getting a snare drum, and I've done some investigating on the internet about whether a single drum is the best way to start to learn. I'm going to try to find a teacher, so I start right, but there are many videos out there which may help me do something until I find the right teacher.

But back to my question. Is a single snare drum the best way to start to learn? Is it better than having a full kit? What are your thoughts?
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Default Re: Absolute Beginner - Snare Drum Sufficient?

Cabasner, most beginner drummers start out with a practice pad to learn rudiments..so the fact that you are starting with a real snare, then that's fantastic..you see most of us old timers started with a pad til our parents found out that we were really gonna stick to it. getting a teacher will be ideal..so you DO learn the correct technique! There are some videos here on the chat so check'em out. good luck and start hitting the skins!
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

I believe so. If you are completely new to drums, I would start out by learning to read basic snare drum music and learning and practicing rudiments. So, personally, I would invest in some good books, a pair of sticks, and a drum pad.
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    12"x9", 14"x14", 16"x16", 22"x18"

Addiction Drum Design custom 14"x7" segment snare
    Ludwig Epic 14"x7" "Brick" snare with custom paint
    DW Collector's Series 14"x6.5" Black Nickel Over Brass snare

Zildjian A Custom
    14" Mastersound HiHats
    16" Projection Crash
    18" Projection Crash
    21" Rezo Ride

Evans Drum Heads

Meinl Cajon
    Meinl Large Studio Shaker
    LP Egg Shaker
    LP Cyclops Tambourine

User Info Menu

Welcome to DC, cabasner!

I think most of the other guys already hit the "drum on the head", so-to-speak. I just might add that another thing I learned here from one of the more experienced members(a guy that has been drumming for 56 years!). Take a pillow, fold it in half to create a bit of tension, hold it between your knees and use that as a practice pad. It really builds your wrists and muscle memory.

Good luck and welcome again!
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Welcome to DC, cabasner.

I started with an ironing board and pillows. Good for you getting a real drum. Embrace the lessons and take your time and have patience. It doesn't come over night or even in a few weeks. Learn proper technique and the rudiments and in the long run you will have an inventory of technical skills that will put you way far ahead of all the DIYers.

User Info Menu

Everyone here has given you sound advice, which I'll totally agree with. A single surface, a teacher, and some snare drum literature is the best way to get your hands in order before you ever think about adding the feet on a set. Good luck, and stick around! We'll help as best we can.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Cabasner!

You are starting off in the right direction. There's not much more that I could add that hasn't been said here already. Enjoy your new journey into the world of drumming!
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Hey I am also a beginner and started drums a little over two years ago. my current teacher says to just focus on the pad for a year to build up chops and rudiments so its good that you had a snare to start off with. how has your journey progressed since this post?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by keish View Post
    Hey I am also a beginner and started drums a little over two years ago. my current teacher says to just focus on the pad for a year to build up chops and rudiments so its good that you had a snare to start off with. how has your journey progressed since this post?
    Well, life has a way of getting in the way! It's interesting how different teachers have differing philosophies. I ended up finding a great teacher, who was a moderately big time rock guy, and who was a disciple of Louie Bellson. The guy was great. But things got in the way, and it's been over a year since I took any lessons, and drumming has not been a focus for me of late. However, the point was that he felt it important that I get a kit pretty quickly. I found that to be somewhat surprising, as I'd kind of expected, like you, that he'd have recommended a pad for some time. But that had not been the case. I was making some progress, much more with him than without him. I believe I got a good start on learning to hold the sticks correctly, which I was terrified I'd do wrong and have to unlearn. He was a huge proponent of learning how to read music, the 'music language' was a term I heard over and over and over (one-e-and-ah, two-e-and-ah...), and he was far more interested, at first in making sure I could tap the sticks in the proper rhythm than being able to bang out stuff on the kit. I think that helped a lot...I'm not a fast reader even now, but I can pick out the beat in written music.

Now, I've just gotten goofy with equipment, and I'm waiting on a custom DW kit that should be here is a new weeks. Prior to that, while I was taking lessons, I'd gotten a good deal on a new DW Collector's kit (recently sold to make room for the new kit), and that's what I was learning on. Pretty crazy, but I was fortunate to be able to do so.

Best of luck to you!

P.S. I don't know if it makes any difference, but I'm 56 and was a few years younger when starting out. You're never too old!
    Last edited by cabasner; 06-16-2015 at 07:29 PM.
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cabasner View Post
    Well, life has a way of getting in the way! ... But things got in the way, and it's been over a year since I took any lessons, and drumming has not been a focus for me of late. ...

I'm waiting on a custom DW kit that should be here is a new weeks. Prior to that, while I was taking lessons, I'd gotten a good deal on a new DW Collector's kit (recently sold to make room for the new kit), and that's what I was learning on.

P.S. I don't know if it makes any difference, but I'm 56 and was a few years younger when starting out. You're never too old!

The advice already given is very good. Congratulations on your purchase of the new DW kit. I heard 56 is the new 46.

Life may get in the way, but music is an outlet for some of the issues life may present- at least for me. Music is also a discipline.

My instructor advised me to "touch the kit" everyday. So my advice to you is try to practice whenever and as much as you can- no time limits or quotas- 5 min., 5 hrs., and everything in between. Clearly, you were drawn to drumming, and you invested in pro quality equipment. Enjoy the journey!

While you wait for the new kit, which could take a few months, the snare or practice pad is sufficient.

Lastly, when not taking lessons, I recommend:
    "Stick Control for the Snare Drummer" by George Lawrence Stone; and
    "Progressive Steps to Syncopation for the Modern Drummer" by Ted Reed.

User Info Menu

Red face Re: Absolute Beginner - Snare Drum Sufficient?

Of course, you probably already figured this out, given the original post date

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by No Me Metro View Post
    Of course, you probably already figured this out, given the original post date
    Yep! I think the advice I got from my then teacher was good, that having a full kit (at least a snare, bass, and one tom tom) was a good idea. Now I've gone COMPLETELY over the top, with the snare, bass and 5 toms (2 rack, 3 floor). Better too much than not enough, though

User Info Menu

Well, life has a way of getting in the way! It's interesting how different teachers have differing philosophies. I ended up finding a great teacher, who was a moderately big time rock guy, and who was a disciple of Louie Bellson. The guy was great. But things got in the way, and it's been over a year since I took any lessons, and drumming has not been a focus for me of late. However, the point was that he felt it important that I get a kit pretty quickly. I found that to be somewhat surprising, as I'd kind of expected, like you, that he'd have recommended a pad for some time. But that had not been the case. I was making some progress, much more with him than without him. I believe I got a good start on learning to hold the sticks correctly, which I was terrified I'd do wrong and have to unlearn. He was a huge proponent of learning how to read music, the 'music language' was a term I heard over and over and over (one-e-and-ah, two-e-and-ah...), and he was far more interested, at first in making sure I could tap the sticks in the proper rhythm than being able to bang out stuff on the kit. I think that helped a lot...I'm not a fast reader even now, but I can pick out the beat in written music.

Now, I've just gotten goofy with equipment, and I'm waiting on a custom DW kit that should be here is a new weeks. Prior to that, while I was taking lessons, I'd gotten a good deal on a new DW Collector's kit (recently sold to make room for the new kit), and that's what I was learning on. Pretty crazy, but I was fortunate to be able to do so.

Best of luck to you!

Wow thats great that you found a teacher thats actually beneficial. Well i was really worried about my age when i first started because most of the people who are really good say they started when they were 3 or 7 and i started when im 25. Also about the reading music apparently its veryyyyy important.i actually just been exposed to reading music this year and im slow but i will get the hang of it. And about the kit its indeed very beneficial because when i go to class and learn a new beat i can come home and practice it over and over. Best of luck to you as well and once u find that sweet spot in holding the stick you will know

User Info Menu

Is a single snare drum the best way to start to learn?
    Not unless you want to play in a marching band.

If you want to play drums, you need to use your hands and feet so you might as well start from the beginning.

You can get an off brand used kit for under $100.

User Info Menu

I have an opinion about lesson learned vs self taught but I guess that can of worms shouldn't be opened.

I'd just like to say is there really a right way to play things, or are they preferred ways?

It seems like the thought process is that if it worked for all these people then that must be the way. I'm glad to be self taught and don't care about all the technicalities of drumming. It really comes down to being able to keep time. If someone can keep time then they can probably play drums. Play them your way.

Guess I just opened it huh?
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    I have an opinion about lesson learned vs self taught but I guess that can of worms shouldn't be opened.

I'd just like to say is there really a right way to play things, or are they preferred ways?

It seems like the thought process is that if it worked for all these people then that must be the way. I'm glad to be self taught and don't care about all the technicalities of drumming. It really comes down to being able to keep time. If someone can keep time then they can probably play drums. Play them your way.

Guess I just opened it huh?
    I think you wrote an obvious truism...that you have to be able to keep time. This is true for any musical instrument, but for percussion, it is THE key attribute, I would think. The teacher I wrote about above (it's been a long time since i've been back with him, now, unfortunately) told me that he had become a very accomplished player prior to hooking up with Louis Bellson...and had to 'unlearn' a lot after he did. I presume that means that he had learned a certain way that wasn't THE way, and had to undo what he'd learned on his own. Did that make him a bad drummer, previously? I would say not. However, I think he would say that he was not a good musician until he learned what he learned from Mr. Bellson. There can be a lot more to playing than just 'hitting things with sticks', as Rick would say. But at the end of the day, that's what people hear. It's how you go about being able to hit things with the best possible details.
    Last edited by cabasner; 07-20-2015 at 09:17 PM.

User Info Menu

I think you wrote an obvious truism...that you have to be able to keep time. This is true for any musical instrument, but for persuasion, it is THE key attribute, I would think. The teacher I wrote about above (it's been a long time since i've been back with him, now, unfortunately) told me that he had become a very accomplished player prior to hooking up with Louis Bellson...and had to 'unlearn' a lot after he did. I presume that means that he had learned a certain way that wasn't THE way, and had to undo what he'd learned on his own. Did that make him a bad drummer, previously? I would say not. However, I think he would say that he was not a good musician until he learned what he learned from Mr. Bellson. There can be a lot more to playing than just 'hitting things with sticks', as Rick would say. But at the end of the day, that's what people hear. It's how you go about being able to hit things with the best possible details.
    good post cabasner. I like it
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Few people are born being able to do something like music. No one ever drove a car from birth. It's something someone LEARNS to do and I firmly believe music can be learned the same way. I wasn't gifted with natural rhythm or pitch but I taught myself to drum and to sing just by persistence and a strong desire to do those things. I'll never be a top notch drummer or singer but I am able to carve out a small niche for myself and I enjoy the freedom of expression it has given me.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Few people are born being able to do something like music. No one ever drove a car from birth. It's something someone LEARNS to do and I firmly believe music can be learned the same way..
    all the best...
    kay-gee, I agree with you, and with respect to 99.99999999% of humanity, what you write is true. I do think, however, that there are those who born with a natural affinity for certain things, music and being able to play an instrument being one of those. Of course, you can always learn to play a certain way, and learning 'the correct' way to do something (such as holding drum sticks), I think, can have an impact on anyone, and perhaps, even improve one's ability to do something, even if you can 'naturally' do something well. Similar to you, I have ABSOLUTELY ZERO natural ability with respect to music. NONE, AT ALL, ZIPPO! Is it possible to have negative ability? If so, that's me! I wish I even had 0.01% inherent ability.

I will never be good at anything musical (I've now tried the gamut of instruments, hoping for the one thing I MIGHT have some natural ability for, but, nope), it's simply a fact, but it's fun pretending Still, I love my instruments, and I REALLY love my new drums!
    Last edited by cabasner; 07-20-2015 at 09:30 PM.

User Info Menu

I have ABSOLUTELY ZERO natural ability with respect to music.
    Guitarists will tell you, that's why you play drums