Thread: Cymbal Cleaning and Polishing

User Info Menu

Question Cymbal Cleaning and Polishing

I have an unusual problem. My cymbals, Sabian B8's were submerged in Katrina waters for two weeks. They are still in what' left of the cymbal bag, and are a nice seafoam green color. Now I've researched and found all methods of cleaning cymbals from lemon juice, ketchup, and hot sauce (that's just wrong), to Barkeepers Friend, Brasso ?!!!, Shampoo and conditioner, Dawn, to Cymbal Doctor, Groove Juice, Paiste, Sabian, and Zildjian Cleaners. I even watched some guy burn up his cordless drill spinning the cymbal as he buffed it (SMH). I'm not worried about the stenciling as I can get the kit. I just want clean shiny cymbals.....

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cymbal Cleaning and Polishing

I am no expert on this matter but I know ketchup works on rusty fishing hooks but I hope you get some good advise cuz I wanna polish my cymbals

User Info Menu

Did you try spitting on it? The more venemous your personality, the more toxic your spit.

And what's a matter with seafoam green? That's my favorite color!

User Info Menu

Barkeeper's Friend works quite well. I cleaned up several 40+ year old badly neglected cymbals with the stuff and they turned out great.

User Info Menu

I like Flitz. Nothing is going to work magic. It's going to take time and elbow grease to get them in shape.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Do they still sound okay? I would imagine that after two weeks in water even with a bag, it would cause some damage
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

I would call Sabian and tell them your story, they may offer to help, you never know ;-)
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Haven't tested them. I hope with a little(?) spit and polish they'll be almost as good as new. If not, I'll be on a cymbal expedition..... Dream, Sabian, Saluda, Supernaturals, Meinl, Wuhan.........Oh boy.....

User Info Menu

Sabian does offer a refinishing re-logo program. I think its about $40 per cymbal plus shipping....B8s may not be worth that expense.....I have used Bar keeper friend on B8 bronze with much success. elbow grease, time, and patience are key....good luck!
    Gear
    Yamaha Stage Custom(late 90's)
    10 12 16 22 BD 14 SN
    Cymbals all Sabian
    14 AAX-celerator Hi Hats
    8 & 10 Paragon Splashes
    17 AAX-xplosion Fast Crash
    16 AAX Dark Crash
    18 AAX Dark Crash
    21 AA Raw Bell Dry Ride
    19 Paragon Chinese

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post
    I like Flitz. Nothing is going to work magic. It's going to take time and elbow grease to get them in shape.
    This has always been my butler.

User Info Menu

Well, I have some good news and some bad news.... The good news is 3 cymbals were salvageable. The bad news is 3 cymbals were salvageable out of 8. The 14" hats and 14" crash are ok. The rest are corroded around the edges and the metal has been compromised. I'm going to check around and see if there is a recycle program where I can get some credit on some new cymbals. I think, Dream and Sabian have programs like this. I want to upgrade from the B8's, but since I am not gigging it isn't critical. The adventure continues......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
    I would call Sabian and tell them your story, they may offer to help, you never know ;-)
    give this a go, it's worth a shot.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

That sucks brother!
    Gear
    Yamaha Stage Custom(late 90's)
    10 12 16 22 BD 14 SN
    Cymbals all Sabian
    14 AAX-celerator Hi Hats
    8 & 10 Paragon Splashes
    17 AAX-xplosion Fast Crash
    16 AAX Dark Crash
    18 AAX Dark Crash
    21 AA Raw Bell Dry Ride
    19 Paragon Chinese

User Info Menu

Wow.........wasn't Katrina back in 2005? Eight years of corrosion may be hard to fight.

User Info Menu

Yep, that was 8 years ago, but it's all good. I'm not gonna cry over something that isn't going to cry over me. Anyway, I cleaned the more damaged cymbals with ketchup. It did make some of the areas shine, but, stripped the cymbals of the protective coating and did cause some discoloration. Maybe the previous damage was a contributor? I did have some Paiste cymbal cleaner, and it did a good job. My recommendation is leave the ketchup alone. If you're not sure, call the manufacturer using their recommendations.

I do see cymbals I want, not afford, want! They are the Saluda Earthworks series. If I get the setup I want, 14" hats, 14", 16", 18" crash, 8" and 10" splash, 20" ride, and 18" china I'm looking at almost a grand....

Being practical, I could just buy a complete set of B8's on sale and get them for around for around $450 with some discounts, as I am not gigging just playing at home.

Or, I could wait and get a full set of Xs20's which is a step up....

User Info Menu

You could try one of the recycling programs. Some stores have them, and I know Dream will give you 1 dollar per inch on any cymbal now (not just b20 anymore). That's only towards Dream cymbals though... If the hats and crash are fine and you wanted to stick with B8's, then you could get the remaining ones you needed and make the old ones into splashes or effects maybe?

User Info Menu

I thought about that. With my new set of drums, after thinking about it, I'd like a step up or two in cymbals. I listened to the Dream cymbals, but from talking to other drummers they aren't consistent. Like I said I love the Saluda Earthworks, but I may just go with the Sabian Xs20. I have time, and I'm sure there will be some Father's Day and 4th of July sales, so I can wait. Here's a pic of a Saluda Earthwork cymbal: http://www.drumgearonline.com/ewsaldgo1s.jpg

User Info Menu

Dreams are definitely not consistent. You would have to pick them out by hand if you wanted to be sure that you got a good one.
    XS20's aren't too bad, though the ride always seemed too ringy.

User Info Menu

After considering cost, and quality, I think I'm going to go with a set of Wuhan cymbals. They are B20 rather than B8 bronze, the price is reasonable and I like the sound especially of the Linear effects cymbals. I can always upgrade later as the finances permit. I plan on buying 14" hats, 14", 16", 18" crash, 20" ride, 8", 10", 12" splash, 17" China, and a 15" Linear effects crash....

I called Sabian, but judging from the condition of the cymbals it's better to just retire them. I do have an idea. I plan on framing and hanging them in the room I have my drums.
    Last edited by Crusader; 06-04-2013 at 02:09 AM. Reason: add a footnote

User Info Menu

Good choice, the Wuhan Linears are sweet. I had an 11" for a while and from a distance it sounded almost like a mini ozone crash (yours may sound different). Plus they just look cool haha. Those will sound much better than your B8's.

User Info Menu

I found this kit on my front doorstep last year. It was apparently left by a neighbor who knew I played the drums and thought I could use it. Sheet metal cymbals were toast as was the kit. I can only imagine what your water soaked cymbals looked like after 8 years in the water logged bag....

User Info Menu

One cymbal, the B8 14' crash seems to have survived, the hats are suspect as there are black lines in the lathing like a fault line. The other cymbals are corroded around the edges and the back of the ride is blue. I think I can get it off, but it will further ruin what's left of the coating protecting the finish. The Saluda 20" china is cooked. The finish is spotty with bare red metal.....

I've decided to go with the Wuhan's as I said in my previous post, but minus the 12" splash. I may add a china later.... or another linear effects...

You guys are a bad influence.... I saw the drum riser shooter217 built.... now you have me thinking..... My drum set is turning into Lego's for me, I just keep building.....YES!!!!

User Info Menu

Actually. As what has been said. Contact Sabian about your story. With all the stories about what happened with Katrina, they might take it upon themselves to create another feel good story that came out of this mess. The good PR will benefit them, you will be reimbursed with new cymbals probably at the same time. They can afford it. I would give it a try along with photos if you have them. It's worth a try.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I'll call them again.... They never returned my first call....

User Info Menu

E-mailing would probably work better. All your getting is a floor person. E-Mail the entire story.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash