Thread: Tuning help...

User Info Menu

Default Tuning help...

Hello chums etc
    I've got a bit of a problem. My bass drum makes an awesome sound but it's a little hard to play because it has load of rebound. I tried to fix this by tightening up the lugs, but I didn't like the sound and feel. So, retracing my steps, I tried to untune the bass. But now, it's stuck between the punchy sound that I want with huge overtones, and a really flat sounding bass drum. I'm not entirely sure what the matter is, maybe one lug is tuned differently to another...
    Any help is hugely appreciated.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Is the outside head on the bass drum? Is there a port hole? Is there a pillow or any muffling inside?

User Info Menu

What drummer said + if you had the sound that you wanted on the bass drum, could you adjust your pedal to compensate for the rebound to get the feel that you want on your pedal? I am assuming the "loads of rebound" comment might have had to do with how your pedal was operating.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I agree. I was abit uncomfortable so i ´fiddled with my bass pedal and it feels much better.

User Info Menu

Ya loosening the tension on your pedal will make a big difference. Also the type of beater that you use could also affect this. So many factors can change the sound of your drum.

User Info Menu

and for the sound you may need to tune both heads but the rebound is a definate peddal problem
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

ah sorry about lack of answering on this.
    Resonant head has no hole.
    I only mucked about with the batter head.
    Rebound isn't much of an issue anymore, it's sound.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

oh for sound id say get a drum dial de tune all the way both sides then tune both back up to whare you want the tnesion. if you cant afford a drum dial ge teven teshion key its a little less acutrate but it helps with spesific sound.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound