Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: drumstick tuning

User Info Menu

Question drumstick tuning

anyone know how to tune a drumstick. you can get pitches out of them right? i keep hearing about pitch match drumsticks but how do you get the pitch?

User Info Menu

You're kidding right?

User Info Menu

I think it has to do with just how tight your wrap is tapped so all I CAN SAY IS
    WRAP IT RIHT HOLD ON TIGHT HINT IT HARD AND ROCK THE NIGHT.

User Info Menu

all i know is you want to get drum sticks that when you hit one drum stick with the other it makes the same pitch as when you hit the other drum stick with the drum stick you hit last time... thats what i've heard idk people are weird...
    |M|o|u|n|t|a|i|n| |D|e|w| My Anti-Drug

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillip latimer
    I think it has to do with just how tight your wrap is...
    ...or how tightle youre wrapped. ...or not

User Info Menu

Let me get this straight....

If you hit the stick with the stick, then the stick you hit should sound like the stick you hit it with, if you had hit that stick with the other stick.

Anyways, I use Vic Firth sticks that are pitch paired and weight matched. Pitch paired really only means that both sticks are the same density of wood. It's just a cool way of saying "All our sticks are made the same".

The only way to tune a stick is to cut part of it off.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

ok if your sticks are at the same pitch when you hit each of them it means their a good pair of sticks who told u that u can tune them what is there to tune don`t take anymore advice from them
    Oh tell me where your freedom lies
    The street are fields that never die.
    Deliver me from reasons why
    You`d rather cry
    I`d rather fly.

User Info Menu

ok if your sticks are at the same pitch when you hit each of them it means their a good pair of sticks who told u that u can tune them what is there to tune don`t take anymore advice from them
    You`d rather cry
    I`d rather fly.

User Info Menu

u cant tune a drumstick... can u? i think u mean tune the snare drum?
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1DrumBum

If you hit the stick with the stick, then the stick you hit should sound like the stick you hit it with, if you had hit that stick with the other stick.

the funny thing is... it makes sense!

User Info Menu

Blink Plus is on the right track. Heres what I do. First I make sure they are the same lengh and feel the same in my hand. Then I roll them on a flat surface to make sure there straight. As long as they feel the same in weight to you then there good. But yes, You can have different pitched sticks because they are not exactly matched. Some serious drummers do make sure of this. For me Im not as picky.
    Rock Till Ya Drop

User Info Menu

Smile stick tuning

oh come on DAVE, what your saying is true but some times I think a person can go just a little overboard don't you.

User Info Menu

As long as the stick is'nt broken, it's good enough! ! !
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Buy Vic Firth drum sticks. They go through the steps of matching, by pitch, a pair of sticks.

Here is a link on how they are made. Take note on step 9.

Great sticks. Love 'em.
    two beats = tempo, three beats = some iPhone app

User Info Menu

Dont really think it matters after beating them off the Rim or cymbols and
    high hats.lol..
    DRUMS RULE.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zar99
    anyone know how to tune a drumstick. you can get pitches out of them right? i keep hearing about pitch match drumsticks but how do you get the pitch?

Use your tuning key.
    max

User Info Menu

yeah my sticks are destroyed i`m surprised they haven`t broken yet
    You`d rather cry
    I`d rather fly.

User Info Menu

Just duct tape 'em together. LOL

User Info Menu

Default drumstick tuning

The way I'm understanding this, I think the phrase "drumstick matching" is the better way to describe it. Most drummers I know make sure the sticks are straight and pretty much the same weight (even two sticks from the same batch and weight can vary slightly).

Truth is, if you thrash with your sticks, they're gonna be out of tune pretty quickly anyway...

Anyone remember (or use) those Ahead drumsticks (the metal-framed ones on which you could change tips, shafts, etc. to personalize them to your own specs)? They never seemed to sell in the St. Louis area, and the drum shop I hang out at most has only sold a handful at most...

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Special K
    Buy Vic Firth drum sticks. They go through the steps of matching, by pitch, a pair of sticks.

Here is a link on how they are made. Take note on step 9.

Great sticks. Love 'em.
    Most of the big stick companies pitch match their sticks: vater, zildjian, promark and vic firth are all matched if u buy a decent pair, its only if ur pickin them outa a big bin that u hav to do it all urself

User Info Menu

lol i think a pair of sticks is a pair o sticks, soon enough there gonna change!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1DrumBum
    Let me get this straight....

i understood that perfectly!
    I'm Cassandra
    I love my boyfriend Derek
    and I love my two firebellytoads, named Heartburn and Mountain.

Jeremiah 29:11
    For i know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans to prosper not harm you, plans to bring you hope and a future.

http://www.myspace.com/loveonegod

User Info Menu

I used to try and pitch mine when I bought them but I really can't tell anything when I'm playing. I think its overrated.

User Info Menu

basically pitch matching is just so that you know you`re gonna get the same sound from the drum wether you hit it with the left or right hand .When you by a pair of pitch matched sticks they will be identical in every way .weight ,length ,girth, the whole 9 yards .but like bongo said if you`re like me and your sticks are chewed up in a couple days anyway it don`t matter .

i also find that i play better if i have a heavier stick in my left hand .i`m very slightly lazy in that had and with a heavier stick it rebounds a little better and is slightly easier to throw .

in answer to bongos question .i`ve used those ahead sticks on a couple of ocassions (larz ulrich ones) and they were like tree trunks ...very fat ...they were pretty light concidering their size but i think i prefer the old hickory !!

dave

User Info Menu

i was aware of the pitch,weight,and length factors but honestly besides them needing to be straight and the same length, how does this affect the drummers playing overall? ...just wondering
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit