Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Cymbals HELP!

User Info Menu

Question New Cymbals HELP!

i have been drumming for 6 years now and i play mainly Rock, Punk and funk. I have finally decided i cannot deal with my cymbals and so i am mainly looking at crashes and hihats.( i can deal with the sound of my ride)

I currently have a four cymbal setup being planet z 14" hihats, 16" crash and a 20" ride, i also have another unmarked 16" crash which i like the sound of and am not looking to replace.

I play quite hard but over the whole amount of time i have only dented my crash and cracked a hihat i once used as a crash

I have been looking at an 18" A custom projection crash, which i have played and really like which i can obtain secondhand from between $150-200. but i have been looking around and i have seen a 16" Z custom crash for a similar price. can anyone compare or give me some other ideas.

Also for the hihats my drum teacher used to have some k custom hihats which i really liked except they are really expensive and harder to find second hand. another idea was the KZ hihats set, is it any good? any other ideas?

i don't like the 14" A custom projection hats so i don't see the point buying a projection set. can anyone suggest anything???

User Info Menu

Default Re: New Cymbals HELP!

Welcome to Drum Chat.

I can't verify the durability of K's but that was going to be my suggestion. LOL.

If you wait for a couple of days, you will get lots of good responses to your inquiry.

User Info Menu

cool, yeah i haven't played them in awhile and i don't know how new/old they,
    cheers

User Info Menu

I played some K/Z dyno beats once. Man did those things cut through.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

im going to trow in my usual Paiste RUDE soundedge suggestion. the used market is pretty good on these, so you should be able to find some cheap.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    im going to trow in my usual Paiste RUDE soundedge suggestion. the used market is pretty good on these, so you should be able to find some cheap.
    Are they durable, Yoda? He mentioned he's a hard hitter. They should be able to withstand some heavy duty activity. I, personally, have no experience with them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Are they durable, Yoda? He mentioned he's a hard hitter. They should be able to withstand some heavy duty activity. I, personally, have no experience with them.
    RUDEs will withstand pretty much anything, unless he really abuses them. I have 14" & 16" crashes and a 20" ride, and when you hold them you understand they'll last pretty much forever.

Deco, I also play rock & punk, and I use Paiste Alphas. They are also worthy of consideration.
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

Exactly RUDE cymbals can last through most hard players. If your style is punk , I would go toward the RUDE than a Custom A and especially a K.
    Proud Yamaha Player

The line between the real world and the machine world is becoming more and more blurred every day.But its not that humans are turning into automations or becoming slaves to the machines.No, we're simply growing toward each other!

User Info Menu

i havent broken mine, but i dont gig or anything. id assume they last though, Paiste makes very consistant cymbals.

User Info Menu

If you are breaking cymbals, you are playing poorly, and need to learn how to hit a cymbal. Use a glancing blow. However, if you have been playing Planet Z's for several years, and haven't broke them yet, you are probably doing OK. :D
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

You could try the Kasza R series, they are not so expensive and the ones I tried were pretty thick and loud. Since I like thin cymbals they aren't for me, but for heavier styles they could be an option for cheap. Paiste seems to be the most durable company of the top ones, I don't hear of them cracking as much though if you use good technique it really shouldn't matter.
    As for the K/Z hi-hats, I have played on those many times and if I'm thinking of the same ones, they are very versatile cymbals and sound great pretty much anywhere. Definitely one of my favorites.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    You could try the Kasza R series, they are not so expensive and the ones I tried were pretty thick and loud.
    Does anyone know when i can buy these in Australia?

Also people are mentioning paiste hihats, what about the alpha series?
    In particular the Alpha Nikko McBrain Signature Series?? can anyone tell me about these? They're about $70 cheaper then the Rudes.

had a listen to some samples, and the KZ's sound pretty good, they're slightly less expensive then the Rude Sound edge's.
    anyone else have any other ideas?
    (prices are all secondhand pricing also)

User Info Menu

Save up its quality cymbals are worth it
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Deco 1 View Post
    Does anyone know when i can buy these in Australia?

Also people are mentioning paiste hihats, what about the alpha series?
    In particular the Alpha Nikko McBrain Signature Series?? can anyone tell me about these? They're about $70 cheaper then the Rudes.

had a listen to some samples, and the KZ's sound pretty good, they're slightly less expensive then the Rude Sound edge's.
    anyone else have any other ideas?
    (prices are all secondhand pricing also)
    I play Alpha Rock cymbals & I love them, though I've not tried the Boomers.
    If you go to the Paiste website you can listen to sound clips of all their cymbals.
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

The Alphas are very similar to the RUDEs just not as "focused", if you are playing punk, that quality would fit very nicely.

User Info Menu

okay then so your saying deffinitely go with the paiste's?
    Im happy with that,

next chance i get ill head into my local music stores and play them, but in the meantime is there anything crash-wise that would match some Alpha hats? apart from alphas?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    If you are breaking cymbals, you are playing poorly, and need to learn how to hit a cymbal. Use a glancing blow. However, if you have been playing Planet Z's for several years, and haven't broke them yet, you are probably doing OK. :D
    Agree totally. If you are breaking cymbals look harder at your technique. You don't need to hit as hard as you probably do (and as hard as I used to). Drums and cymbals are only so loud. Smashing them doesn't make them louder.

User Info Menu

Get Rudes!

User Info Menu

Last edited by late8; 06-03-2013 at 12:33 PM.

User Info Menu

okay then so your saying deffinitely go with the paiste's?
    Im happy with that,

next chance i get ill head into my local music stores and play them, but in the meantime is there anything crash-wise that would match some Alpha hats? apart from alphas?
    IMO the Alpha and RUDE crashes have far to short of sustain, although they are loud. As far as Paistes go 2002s are a great choice for crashes (and great deals on them can be found used). For other brands, Zildjian As are good (and can be had verrryyy cheap used). There are many other crashes, but for inexpensive, yet quality cymbals, used 2002s or Zildjian As are the way to go I feel.

User Info Menu

Agree totally. If you are breaking cymbals look harder at your technique. You don't need to hit as hard as you probably do (and as hard as I used to). Drums and cymbals are only so loud. Smashing them doesn't make them louder.
    ahaha i don't hit that hard compared to some, probably only on my crash moreso. but i mentioned it because im not a fan of thin cymbals. med thins are okay so it doesn't really matter.

The cymbal i broke was green with oxidization when i was given it, the edges were warped it was a 14" hihat, that i used for a crash, and it only cracked, it now sits next to my kit, an unused splash. (it sounds terrible but it looks cool )

User Info Menu

Went into the Music stores and tried some hats and crashes out.
    the best sounding ones i tried were 14" HHX stage hats (sounded amazing) and an 18" AAX-Xplosion Crash (just as amazing) and surprisingly at a close second was the Xs20 rock hats and the 18" Crash

I was disappointed by the fact that i don't like the alpha's i really wanted to get them, but i don't like them, so they got scratched off the list.
    the 2002 crashes sounded brilliant, but wasn't really what i wanted and the 18" HHX-Plosion was not quite as nice sounding as the AAX

I also got told that rudes sound terrible if you don't hit them hard enough, and after my testing session i had to agree, not a fan of them. the 2002's were nice though!

so yeah thanks for your help, im most probably buying the stage hats and the Xplosion, and my quote was actually about the same price to get them second hand which was cool.

User Info Menu

Deco....my all time fav ride is a sabian chad smith 20.5" explosion crash...
    I use "ahead "crossroads " drumsticks (anti vibe ) exclusively...
    I had chad smith sign my 1st one,,,like an idiot i sold it in favor of
    a 20" paiste flat ride (sounded like butter great for jazz,,,but got rid of it to a jazz drummer,,,,,in return i got a 20" sabian aax ride,a 20" ludwig standard made by paiste in 1972 ()with rivets) & cash....

My favorite left side crash is a paiste alpha "802" crash /ride...
    ///let yer ears be yer guide my phriend...
    Seek & you will find it,,,,someday,,,,,enjoy the journey,,,
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Went into the Music stores and tried some hats and crashes out.
    the best sounding ones i tried were 14" HHX stage hats (sounded amazing) and an 18" AAX-Xplosion Crash (just as amazing) and surprisingly at a close second was the Xs20 rock hats and the 18" Crash

I was disappointed by the fact that i don't like the alpha's i really wanted to get them, but i don't like them, so they got scratched off the list.
    the 2002 crashes sounded brilliant, but wasn't really what i wanted and the 18" HHX-Plosion was not quite as nice sounding as the AAX

I also got told that rudes sound terrible if you don't hit them hard enough, and after my testing session i had to agree, not a fan of them. the 2002's were nice though!

so yeah thanks for your help, im most probably buying the stage hats and the Xplosion, and my quote was actually about the same price to get them second hand which was cool.
    I'm more of a Paiste player than anything, but over the years of playing I've also owned various Zildjians, Sabians, Meinls, UFIPS and so on. And probably more than half of those I got on the second hand cymbal market over here in Sydney, which is how I've been able to get some great bargains for some of my drum students as well, especially though things such as Gumtree and Trading Post. I'm glad you gave the Sabian AAX's a go, I managed to get one of my guys a few second-hand AAX's some time back (rough guesstimate would have been $500-550 for a 14" hi-hat, 16" & 20" Ride Stage Performance set) threw in another $90 or so and we got an 18" XS 20 crash, seeing that the guy was looking to get rid of some cymbals, we picked up up a pretty good deal. especially when you consider how pricey things are over here in Australia. Whereabouts are you by the way?
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

You seem like a zildjian guy just like me.Before you buy any cymbal, check online for reviews and videos on the cymbals. If you're buying a cymbal second hand, I would advise you don't buy until you can physical touch, feel and play the cymbal yourself. There are people out there who will try and sell you a cracked cymbal, or bad cymbal over the internet. If your buying off the internet make sure it has real oictures and more than two pictures too, also a history about the product. Good luck with your cymbal search. and may the drums be with you.