Thread: Ludwig Keystone head selection

User Info Menu

Default Ludwig Keystone head selection

Ok so it's time to rehead my brand new kit
    Now they came with g2s and the 2ply sounds great but a little too tame and dead when theyre in the mix with my band
    My friend at sam ash recommended some coated ambassadors and im also looking at controlled sounds to open them up and let the shells sing with purer tone
    However i am extremely hesitant to buy single plys. Ive been running 2 plys on my toms for so long im a little gun-shy so to speak. I know i can avoid the ring im fearing with moongel.
    Your thoughts??
    Ludwig Keystone in Mint Oyster GG wrap
    9x13
    16x16
    16x18
    14x24
    Pearl masters series all maple 6.5x14
    Zildjian-Sabian-ProMark-TamaIronCobras-LudwigAtlas hardware
    REMO FOR LIFE

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ludwig Keystone head selection

Sometimes having some loud instruments around you is all the dampening you need!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Sometimes having some loud instruments around you is all the dampening you need!

all the best...
    Aint that the truth. It does wonders on snare ring too. You can always put some moongel on for solo practice and take it off when playing with the band.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys
    I guess my main concern is can i still get the punchy rock sound i love with single plys
    My biggest influence is Ilan Rubin if that helps any
    9x13
    16x16
    16x18
    14x24
    REMO FOR LIFE

User Info Menu

Those drums are punchy by themselves, they're going to have a good degree of attack no matter what. Try coated single ply heads as batters, I think you might actually like them - they really open up and bring out the warm lively tones in a kit. Very full sounding once you tune them up correctly. They are meant to be used with medium to higher tunings, so know this when you're trying to find their sweet spot and get them sounding good. You can also look for a single ply head with built in dampeners, such as coated powerstroke3/studio-x. Evans used to make an equivelant design called the EC1's but nowadays the closest you'll get to those are EC resos. Meant as a resonant head obviously, but you could use them as a batter substitute as well. Some reso heads like diplomats and genera glass are actually so thin that they cut sustain back a bit, so combining them with a single ply batter might get you less total sustain/resonance than you're thinking. Just gotta stay on top of tuning them.
    Last edited by Russ; 06-07-2013 at 07:45 PM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Thanks Russ i will definitely look into gettin some coated ambs
    Do you or anyone else have any experience with controlled sounds on toms?
    9x13
    16x16
    16x18
    14x24
    REMO FOR LIFE

User Info Menu

Ok as commander in chief
    of da aquarian army,,,,
    " gramps reccommends my fav for everything:
    I endorse exclusively aquarian coated super ii's....
    They are a unique 2 ply head...
    7mm over 5mm....like coated emporers
    if you are interested,,,
    if you want more attack,,,they make a clear version,,
    im just saying,,,,
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Hi Guys,

I just bought one of these at after a few gigs was very disappointed. I started with vintage a's on top and coated ambassadors for the res side. So after my dispirited few gigs i tried a fair few different combinations. I put ambassadors on tops, coated and clear with different combinations on the bottom. I tried evans ec2's and a few different aquarian heads. After a very frustrating day of trying all of these combinations i ducked down to my local drum shop and bought a few clear emperors. They tuned up super quick and with a clear ambassadors on the bottom they suddenly came to life. They sounded great. Loads of attack and resonance, great tone.

Hope this helps.

User Info Menu

Coated G2 batter over EC Reso. Couldn't be happier.

User Info Menu

Question Re: Ludwig Keystone head selection

I've just picked up my second set of Keystones and followed suit with my previous head choice - Emperor batters over stock reso's. But I made one subtle change this time when buying the heads. My previous Keystones had smooth white Emperors and though the tone was round and full, they seemed a bit bright. This time I went with Vintage Coated Emperors. The tone is full and round but, man, it sure seems muffled to me. Maybe I'm missing hearing the attack the smooth heads rendered? I haven't had the time to break the heads in by playing over the kit yet, so I am hopeful that after the initial break in they might open up a bit. Or am I just wishing........

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jim

User Info Menu

Coated G2 and EC Reso have been excellent for me both live and in studio. Fantastic drums for either application. Wide open. No dampening of any sort.

User Info Menu

When I had my Keystones I put on coated Amb. over clear amb. and they were fantastic, especially the 13" rack tom. Highly recommend them.

The only other heads I ever had on them were Aquarian Modern vintage 2's and they were probably the worst sounding heads I have ever heard. But to be fair they came on the kit when I got it used and looked to be well worn so maybe they were just very old.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO