Thread: A lesson on wood!

User Info Menu

Question A lesson on wood!

Hey I am in the market to buy a new snare and I am looking at all the different woods, maple, birch...I am not really sure how they change the sounds of the drum..So if anyone could give me a little insight and then tell me which do you prefer and why? THAAANKKKS!

User Info Menu

Default Re: A lesson on wood!

Basically, you go hit drums until you find one you like. There are so many variables beyond the type of wood that it's hard to make definite statements. Plys vs finish vs sizes vs heads vs room acoustics. Some say birch is more focused. Whatever that really means. And others say Maple is warmer. Your budget is always the strongest factor in a purchase anyway. So what's your budget?
    And me personally? I prefer metal snares to wood.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Well said Kazaamski

User Info Menu

birch or brass for me. this link explains in pretty good detail but your own ear will be the best decision maker.

[link removed. Please do not link to commercial sites as per the forum rules. - Thx, Tom]
    Last edited by slinky; 06-12-2013 at 07:01 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I prefer Bubinga and Oak ...lower fundamental tone on both ... both have more volume than most any other wood...the attack is in your face yet both respond beautifully with the soft sticking. And as it has already been mentioned...your ears "Must" be the final decision maker...along with that nasty ole thing called "budget".
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

I have several metal snares and a couple of wood. I like metal- Brass, Steel, Aluminum. I have a Birch snare and a Maple snare. The metal are certainly louder and have a higher/sharper sonic quality and the wood are a little less loud and have a mellower/softer sonic quality.

To get into the specifics of how the different woods create different sounds is almost impossible, almost. Everything about the drum- hardware (flanged hoops vs. die-cast, big lugs vs smaller lugs) wrapped vs lacquer and head choices as well as the room and tuning are going to dramatically have an effect. Even if you have two identical drums with the same heads tuned the same (both wood lets say) they are going to sound ever so slightly different. It is what it is.

Your ear will tell you what sound you will like and your budget will tell you if you can get it.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Same here. I have a few metal snares, and couple of wood myself, and I like them all. My two favorites are both Ludwigs. Epic and my Acrolite. The best advice was the first answer , go to a music store and start playing snares until you find the one that fits what you want at that time. I change depending on the style I'm playing, or the venue.
    Proud Yamaha Player

The line between the real world and the machine world is becoming more and more blurred every day.But its not that humans are turning into automations or becoming slaves to the machines.No, we're simply growing toward each other!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    birch or brass for me. this link explains in pretty good detail but your own ear will be the best decision maker.
    That's a great link. I was looking for it earlier because I know I've seen it before.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of oak drums. Lots of low end with great tone and nice woody characteristics. I also like drums that have poplar in them. The poplar gives a really nice warm tone with good low end.
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    12"x9", 14"x14", 16"x16", 22"x18"

Addiction Drum Design custom 14"x7" segment snare
    Ludwig Epic 14"x7" "Brick" snare with custom paint
    DW Collector's Series 14"x6.5" Black Nickel Over Brass snare

Zildjian A Custom
    14" Mastersound HiHats
    16" Projection Crash
    18" Projection Crash
    21" Rezo Ride

Evans Drum Heads

Meinl Cajon
    Meinl Large Studio Shaker
    LP Egg Shaker
    LP Cyclops Tambourine

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ljmarch View Post
    That's a great link. I was looking for it earlier because I know I've seen it before.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of oak drums. Lots of low end with great tone and nice woody characteristics. I also like drums that have poplar in them. The poplar gives a really nice warm tone with good low end.

your welcome, glad I could help you out. Had to be removed though I didn't know it was commercially linked.
    Last edited by slinky; 06-12-2013 at 09:12 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

looks like a trip to the store my friend.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

my pearl piccolo snare is pretty loud. its a steel shell. 13"x3" i believe. has a very nice attack and cuts throgh very nicely.
    OCDP VANICE SERIES BLUE ONYX
    22" bass drum
    12" tom
    16" floor room
    13" pearl piccolo snare
    14" ocdp snare

Zildjian cymbals
    20" A Ride
    18" A Crash
    18" Z3 China
    17" A Crash
    14" A Hi hats

Practice
    Vic Firth
    Heavy hitter stock pad
    REMO, IRON COBRA, PRO MARK, AHEAD

User Info Menu

Thanks for the link! really really helpful...yeah I have made it out to two different guitar centers to bang on some snares...I was really digging the black panthers I was playing, one was steel the other maple...nice sound...tight...then I was playing some pork pie snares they seem to have a lot of ring on them...I don't know I think I might hunt around for a black panther! thanks everyone

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by souzabatero View Post
    Thanks for the link! really really helpful...yeah I have made it out to two different guitar centers to bang on some snares...I was really digging the black panthers I was playing, one was steel the other maple...nice sound...tight...then I was playing some pork pie snares they seem to have a lot of ring on them...I don't know I think I might hunt around for a black panther! thanks everyone
    Hard to go wrong with a black panther. I have yet to play one that I didn't like.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Hard to go wrong with a black panther. I have yet to play one that I didn't like.
    +1 I do agree that your own ears will be your best guide. I have a Black Panther Deep Forest Cherry snare that is my favorite snare.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

For snare drum, nobody beats LUDWIG...Noooooobody!!

Especially in metal

all the best...

User Info Menu

Nowadays there is much tadoo about wood types but I find it rather superficial. There is a marked difference between metal and wood, but less between metal and metal, and wood and wood.

Sound is far more significantly effected by...head gauge and tension, shell width and depth.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Man for price range I have been also checking out the sonor black mamba...its a pretty looking little snare 13 x 7 something a bit different as well, and it is more in my price range, I am going to look at more ludwigs before I make the dive. However I am still on the hunt for a bargain on a black panter

User Info Menu

Being brand new to this drum thing, I have found the Drum Workshop videos (on the DW website) done by John Good to be excellent information, and includes great discussions about differences in woods and construction techniques, though not specifically about snares.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare