Thread: Wrist pain.. had to move hi-hat

User Info Menu

Default Wrist pain.. had to move hi-hat

I am a beginner, just bought a cheap Alesis DM6 e-kit about a month ago. I have a huge problem though, my right wrist is messed up, and it hurts so bad I can't use it as my main hi hat hand.

So what I did was move the hi-hat in between the two crash cymbals, right next to the left crash except a lot lower, and use my left arm instead. My arm is pretty much parallel to the ground when I use it to hit the hi-hat. Of course it is hard adjusting to a new hi-hat arm, but I'm trying.

My question is... is this possible with an acoustic set? My hi-hat pedal is like a foot to the left, and a foot in front of the actual hi-hat cymbal..

OR

should I just shut up and put the hi-hat back where it originally goes, maybe a little farther away from me, and train myself to use my left arm with it there instead? Thanks for any tips.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Wrist pain.. had to move hi-hat

Yes it is. You can use a remote hi-hat like the DW one pictured (with an 8 foot cable) below. Pearl and a few others make them also.

1964 Ludwig Downbeat Black Diamond Pearl (12,13,14,16,20)
    ALL of its Original Hardware

Ludwig Stainless Steel "Bop" (12,14,18)

Ludwig 1947 Standard Deluxe w/Art Gold hardware 3ply Maple 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1959 LM470 Auditorium 3ply Mahogany 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1959 LM908P Jazz Festival 3ply Mahogany 5.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1964 LM400 Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1968 LM410 Super Sensitive 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1969 LM404 Acrolite 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1976 LM400 Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1977 LM401 Lacquered Brass Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1978 LM405 NYC Bd of Ed Acrolite w/factory Imperial Lugs 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1984 LB552 75th Anniversary Engraved Bronze 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1990s LM404 Black Galaxy Acrolite 10 Lug w/Silver Monroe Keystone 5 x 14
    Ludwig 2010 LB417BT Engraved Black Beauty 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 2017 LB402B COB Supraphonic 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 2020 LC662KTC Hammered Copperphonic w/all Copper Hardware 6.5 x 14
    DW Collectors 3mm Cast Bell Brass 5.5 x 14
    DW/Craviotto 2000 Steam Bent Solid Cherry 5.5 x 14

Zildjian As and A Customs

User Info Menu

Check with a drum instructor. Personally, I'm not visioning what you are describing.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Not really visualizing what your laying down. But, if your right handed, try leaving your hi hats were they are and learn how to play open handed. Left hand on the hats, right hand on the snare and toms maybe? Or, actually since your new you could be doing something wrong to cause you pain, or maybe because it's a new thing and your wrist isn't used to it your in pain. More than likely though your doing something wrong causing pain. Maybe post a pick of your set-up so we will know what your talking about. That way maybe there's something obvious we can help you with. Don't be afraid to ask questions. There are no dumb questions. And at the same time, take our suggestions at face value and not as a slam or anything. This site is the best thing for new players. Lot's of seasoned drummers here that are willing to share their experiences without looking down their noses at someone that is new to the game. Good luck and welcome to the best drum chat site on the net.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Playing with your arm stretched out seems a little awkward - it's possible to play open handed (left hand on the hi hat) without having to move it quite so far away. It's important to play without causing yourself pain, but still I'd hire a drum teacher to come over to your practice area and take a look at your set up to make sure you're not going to do your wrists any more damage by playing with the current set up.
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove

User Info Menu

do yourself a favor and go take some lessons. ill bet that a good drum teacher will help that wrist....
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Thanks for the help everyone. I wish I could take drum lessons, but there are no teachers within an hour of me. My technique is probably far from perfect but I know that's not the problem for my wrist, it's been messed up since I was little. I set my kit back the way it was, and am using my left hand for hi-hats instead of the cross over. So far so good, I'm fine now. Thanks again for all the tips!

EDIT: After searching again I think I found some lessons, finallyyy
    Last edited by Metal; 06-25-2013 at 08:44 PM.

User Info Menu

do you have a medical problem with your wrist? It only hurts when you play drums/ hi hats in crossover position,and at no other time in your activities?

User Info Menu

also,,, welcome to drum chat, metal .. glad to have you.
    Tamaholic