Thread: Looking To use a PA System, Suggestions

BackStreetDrums Guest

Default Looking To use a PA System, Suggestions

I am putting together a small basement studio.

I will be adding 4 mics, 2OH, 1snare, 1 kick

I am considering a small PA system, 4channel.
    Want to keep price under $300

I am looking at the Phonic Powerpod 820.
    Any suggestions?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Looking To use a PA System, Suggestions

Why?

BackStreetDrums Guest

Why not?

....Over playing under the lights. I am 65yo, been playing since 12yo. Have a very interested grandson who I am passing the sticks to..he is 4yo.

Want him to play along to songs, so I am thinking the easiest, cheapest way is to runa laptop/iPod thru a PA system, help him along. The PA system would actually be helping to hear the music. The mics for my own use.

Is this wrong?

User Info Menu

Just gonna be really loud in a basement.
    Good isolation headphones would work better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Just gonna be really loud in a basement.
    Good isolation headphones would work better.
    Agreed. Don't see the point in dropping several hundred for what you could do with $50 bucks.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

BackStreetDrums Guest

Appreciate the replies/advice considered...agree. However, looking at a low cost 4ch PA system for $149 @ GC..in fact local has a used even cheaper I am looking at, a bit over $100.

It would be dual purpose PA..use it for yard parties/iPod music too..

I guess i was looking for cheap PA suggestions. The one considering is a Harbinger...just never heard of them.. I guess for a 100 bucks, should not be picky or expect much

Basement is poured concrete walls, windowless and already sound proofed..took care of that years ago
    Last edited by BackStreetDrums; 07-04-2013 at 02:41 PM.

User Info Menu

Wait do you want a PA or a mixing board?

User Info Menu

I suggest a nice, small stereo with cd, mp3 players and iPod dock. Crank it up and I bet any 4 yr. old can hear the music over his drums, even with ear pugs. Works for my 65 yr old ears!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

BackStreetDrums Guest

I was thinking 'PA'...comes with speaker/compact etc

Getting a mixer, then need to add speakers...seems more costly

Slinglander...yes, easier and cheaper...but I have 4 good mics, and wanted to add for my own enjoyment, hence the PA
    Thanks for replies..
    Last edited by BackStreetDrums; 07-04-2013 at 07:08 PM.

User Info Menu

Are you planning on running your drums through that? Those little 10" speakers wont handle it.
    Also if you are planning on miking your drums and running it through the PA in your basement I once again have to ask why?

User Info Menu

yeah the kick drum will sound like a box with those small speakers ,, you'll need at least 15 inch speakers ,, you need big speakers to get any low end out of your drums , 15 inch will work , but if you want thump from your kick , id go with 18 inch speakers .. i really dont think you will be happy with 10 inch speakers .
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    yeah the kick drum will sound like a box with those small speakers ,, you'll need at least 15 inch speakers ,, you need big speakers to get any low end out of your drums , 15 inch will work , but if you want thump from your kick , id go with 18 inch speakers .. i really dont think you will be happy with 10 inch speakers .
    True, but then he's looking a a lot more $$

all the best...

User Info Menu

why buy something that cant do the job that you need it to do ,, with music and drums both pumping through those 10 in speakers , they wont last long .
    Tamaholic

BackStreetDrums Guest

WOW!!!

Some good pointers...I figured the speakers would not hold...no reason to mic other than I have them available and as we all know, drums sound better.

Now that I have retired I guess I just wanted 'the beat to continue', is the only reason to want to mic. and as mentioned earlier, I have them not to waste

I appreciate everyones input and suggestions.

"BEAT ON"

User Info Menu

i have a really nice setup that's more like a "drum fill" foldback

15" active sub with one 12" and horn active ontop ...you dont nessasaraly need the sub but it adds to the volume ,just make sure you have d class speakers 350-500watt minimum just having the kick in the speakers is nice

User Info Menu

When I play to music I like the music as loud as if I were playing with a live band. I use the B52 matrix 1000 from GC. it has a 15" sub with a 750 watt amp and two satellites with a 10" woofer and a horn tweeter. That ran me $700.00 I added a Yamaha 12 ch mixer for another $200.00 and this system kicks. I originally bought it when I had my e kit. Now I use it for playing with music, for vocals when jamming with friends, and I've even done a few DJ gigs with it.

Also I've mic'ed my kick drums and run them though this 15" sub and they sounded fine. You just need to understand you're not going to be able to have them rock concert loud. With any system you must understand what the speaker can handle.
    Last edited by NPYYZ; 07-05-2013 at 06:36 AM.