Thread: Resonant head on bass

User Info Menu

Default Resonant head on bass

hey, i'm new here. i was wondering how much you all think the different types of resonant heads affect your bass drum sound. different finishes, number of plys, hole/no hole, etc. I use a 18x24. I'm just looking for some input on whether choosing the right reso head is actually a big deal or if any old head will work. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Resonant head on bass

any head will do the job, but they will sound different..

i find thinner reso heads give your kick a... surprise, thinner sound.
    heads with holes make your kick punchier
    coated heads make your kick warmer

Personally, I'd use either an Evans EQ3 or 4 (since they have the inner dampening ring built in), or I kinda like a thick coated head. I dont use port holes in my heads, not sure why, I just don't.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

so would you say something along the lines of a coated emperor or similar thickness? because i would like a slightly warmer sound. right now its a very watery slappy kinda sound from a Powerstroke on batter and stock ebony amb.

User Info Menu

Sounds like its tuned to low

User Info Menu

Ya, tune it up a bit. Experiment before you drop money on a new head. Kick heads are expensive.

Having said that, I use an Evans EQ3 ported head on the res.

User Info Menu

You could try a felt strip across the inside of the reso head you have now for a test. Works good for me. Still, you may need to experiment.

Last edited by Olimpass; 07-10-2013 at 08:46 AM.

User Info Menu

alright thanks i'll try that tuning. i definitely like the felt strips. on my 22in in the past i used an aquarian super kick 2 on batter and a stock pulse head on reso with two felt strips each and it worked. i just recently got this new tama kit and it just came with the powerstroke. i also think half of the reason i want a new one is because i hate the way the black head on there looks with the finish on my drumset so call me lame for going for the right look :3

User Info Menu

My Yamies came with powerstrokes. I cut most of the dampining ring out of the inside when I got them. That helped some. But I never liked my kick sound until I put the SK1 on the batter side from my old kick. I've got a 20 & 22 with Powerstrokes on them, and I just don't like them I guess. I had a Yamy logo head on front with a Kickport and sounded great. Now I've got an Aquarian resonant head with the band logo painted on the outside of it. It sounds real good also. I'm not sure what head it is, but it has a felt ring about 10" Dia. in the center on the inside. I'm happy with my kick now. If you still have your old Aquarian give it a try.

User Info Menu

See,,,,another success story,,
    phrogge's aquarian army rules
    with a"sk1" score....
    Testify lefty!!!(pm me plz,,,)
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

oh i would in a heart beat put a super kick on it but i just got the kit with a 24 inch bass drum as opposed to my 20 inch vintage pearl and my band's communal drumset with a 22. as soon as i have the money to drop on a super kick 2 and a patch i'll do that for the batter. i just never really paid attention to the reso and was wondering if i could make it sounds even better with an actual nice head so i might try that aquarian regulator you might be talking about if it comes in white