Thread: For all you Aussie drummers...Bill Oddie (The Goodies) is on Rage this Saturday night

User Info Menu

Default For all you Aussie drummers...Bill Oddie (The Goodies) is on Rage this Saturday night

Yep, that's correct! Just found on Facebook today an announcement that Bill Oddie from The Goodies will be hosting and programming music videos on Channel 2's Rage this Saturday the 20th July! (Spesman, hope you're gonna catch that over there, bud!) Anyone who has or had been a fan of Bill and the lads would know that Bill himself did a lot of the music on the shows, and plays a little of drums himself (although he'd be the first one not to claim to be a great player). So I'm not gonna miss this one like I missed his recent Sydney show, that's for sure!

Aussie band Spiderbait did a good tribute to one of the songs he'd written, "Run"....

Couldn't resist adding this as well:
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Default Re: For all you Aussie drummers...Bill Oddie (The Goodies) is on Rage this Saturday n

Oh man, serious? That is going to be very interesting to say the least.
    It makes me think what other tracks he'd play apart from the Goodies stuff (of which I hope he plays a lot of!!). I'll very keen to check that one out.

Thanks Drumble - I would've totally missed it if you didn't say anything.

Ps....I think my fav Goodies track has to be either Run or Taking You Back (from Tim's uncle "king arthur" episode). What about you mate?
    Tama Rockstar & Paiste User and Abuser......

User Info Menu

Default Re: For all you Aussie drummers...Bill Oddie (The Goodies) is on Rage this Saturday n

Yeah serious Spes matey....not missing it for the world, even though I'll have to be up the next morning for rehearsals and all that.

There are quite a few non-Goodies tracks that are on Youtube, but the glaring omission is the one called "The Breathalyzer" by Rick Wakeman (from his "Criminal Record"....err, record), which he got Bill (they've been mates with years.....Wakeman's also buddies with another musical comedian Bill Bailey as well, btw). Well....I might have to remedy that once I get around to getting a vinyl-to-USB converter happening.

For me though, it's a split between "Run", "Bunfight At The O.K Tearooms" (I just lose it when Bill corrects himself in the lines 'The finale of their dream/in the land of clotted cream/turned against their fellows/who had a lust for jam and scones .... scOnes!') or the whole musical medley when the cops were chasing them at the end of "Saturday Night Grease"....that was pretty damn inventive.

User Info Menu

Well mate I reckon we'll have a lot to chat about come sunday morning that's for sure!!
    I had no idea he is mates with Rick Wakeman. Small world sometimes huh.
    Me and missus have a great hard back book of the Goodies history which is very informative. If you see it at the ABC shop or somewhere similar - get it!!!

User Info Menu

^ is that the book called "The Goodies Rule O.K.?" by Robert Ross? Yep, I've got that one.

User Info Menu

Yep, that's the one. Great huh?
    If there's anything we ever needed to know about them - it's in that book.
    I wonder how long his segment will go for (surely he won't be on all night).
    I'm just hoping to get some insight into the way the Goodies tracks were done and who the players were also.