Thread: Yamaha Tour Custom vs Rock Tour

User Info Menu

Question Yamaha Tour Custom vs Rock Tour

Hi,

I recently ordered a Yamaha Tour Custom maple snare (14x6).

When I opened the box, it was a Yamaha Rock Tour snare (I believe these are mahogany?)

I don't want to use it at the moment, in case I need to return it. So I was just wondering what your experiences are of these drums? I've used the Tour Custom maple snares before and like the sound of them.

I was just wondering if anyone else feels the Rock Tour mahogany snares are of similar quality, although with a different type of sound?

I got it for what seems to be a very reasonable price, so if it's of similar build etc and sounds good, then I'm happy to keep it.

Many thanks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Yamaha Tour Custom vs Rock Tour

as far as yamaha lines go, the tour custom is higher up. the rock tour is cheaper phillipine mahogany.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Actually SpatzST, that's incorrect. The Rock Tours, believe it or not, use one of 3 species that are considered 'actual mahogany' (I looked it up online). I'm also not sure I'd say the Tour Custom is a higher line. They are both mid-range lines, just different features.

In terms of recent Tour Custom snares, I'm not a fan. I had a Tour Custom kit a few years ago and I got rid of the snare immediately (and then the kit eventually). IMO it was a very weak sounding snare. I got a Ludwig Epic snare on sale and use that instead. Much more versatile, responsive drum.

The Rock Tours have a heavier sound, so I'm guessing you'll find that snare to have a much fatter sound than the Tour Custom snare.

Just my two cents. Good luck.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    Actually SpatzST, that's incorrect. The Rock Tours, believe it or not, use one of 3 species that are considered 'actual mahogany' (I looked it up online). I'm also not sure I'd say the Tour Custom is a higher line. They are both mid-range lines, just different features.

In terms of recent Tour Custom snares, I'm not a fan. I had a Tour Custom kit a few years ago and I got rid of the snare immediately (and then the kit eventually). IMO it was a very weak sounding snare. I got a Ludwig Epic snare on sale and use that instead. Much more versatile, responsive drum.

The Rock Tours have a heavier sound, so I'm guessing you'll find that snare to have a much fatter sound than the Tour Custom snare.

Just my two cents. Good luck.
    my mistake, its actually Big Leaf Mahogany, and the Tour Custom is maple
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Yup. It is kind of suprising at that price point that they are using Big Leaf, so it's an easy mistake to make.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    Yup. It is kind of suprising at that price point that they are using Big Leaf, so it's an easy mistake to make.
    either way, premium mahogany is known to be African Mahogany.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Rock tour is much better sounding than the tour custom IMO. Much louder as well, just make sure it's the sound your looking for. Yamaha discontinued a few years back too so they are hard to find now.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Either way thay are Yamaha and will sound amazing!!!!!!