Thread: session advice needed

User Info Menu

Post session advice needed

Hi drummers, im after some advice. I've been asked to play a session for an artist who is recording a single and i said yes, why not!.
    I've never done a session before so i have no idea what it entails. I have plenty live experience with the bands i've been in and have done a few recording sessions with well rehearsed parts but im a bit nervous about this upcoming session. I have never worked with the artist and have not heard the song im supposed to be putting drums on. Is it normal to just turn up and wing it? I know the producer and he has told me they have no idea what they want drum wise until i go in. If any session guys on here could shed any light on what the norm is i'd appreciate it.
    Cheers

User Info Menu

Default Re: session advice needed

Unless they have a chart for you I guess they are gonna have to be happy with what they get lol

User Info Menu

yeah thats what i thought, it just seemed strange to me but im new to it. i can only do what i can do i suppose

User Info Menu

Very strange, not even a demo tape for you to hear?

User Info Menu

Something is definitely wrong with this.

User Info Menu

My thoughts align with NR - I've been in that situation before. Guy knew I was a drummer and liked what he had heard from my original band, but gave me nothing to go off on what he needed from me in the studio. So I show up and we jam a few times before we hit the record button. It was simple and I didn't feel any pressure - he was happy with what he got as well so it all ended up ok. I think it really depends on their attitude and expectations. It may help to discuss this a little before going in so you get a better feel on what their expectations are, and maybe help steer it a little bit in a better mental direction for you too.

User Info Menu

yeah i think a chat before hand would definitely help me mentally. I have spoken to the producer who originally asked me to do it who has since said the song isnt finished and they need drums and ideas as its holding things up. Apparently the artist is happy just to try things but im completely in the dark about it, if it turns out they want some RnB or crazy chops then im afraid they have the wrong guy. How does going to a session normally work?

User Info Menu

All the studio work I've done I always got a demo recording of the material weeks in advance so I could have my part well planned out and ready to go. I would think going into the studio blind would be an expensive thing to do, and not the best way to use studio time. Then again if it's a home studio and isn't costing anything no big deal I guess.

User Info Menu

Inspired.....sounds like fun.......I'd just roll with it and play what comes to you.

The producer/songwriter probably just want a fresh perspective without "tainting" you beforehand

User Info Menu

I say stay relaxed make sure your on the click and play what feels right! The guy asked you to play so they obviously have faith you can do whats right for the song. I've done some session work and if there is a part they wanted different I changed them and everyone was happy. Have fun and keep doing what your doing could open new doors

User Info Menu

Are you taking your gear or is everything already set up?

If you take your own gear, they will steal it, kill you and discard the body.

Make sure they know you have us as witnesses.

If they are supplying the kit...then never mind.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

This isn't that foreign to me. I do a lot of session work ( at least once a week), and sometimes I can record 3-5 tracks in a night without hearing the tracks ahead of time. With me, I'm given the freedom to play what I'm hearing as the drum parts in these situations. Most of the times, I am given that freedom even when they have a chart or a reference track. I never stress too much in the studio. Just relax and play what you feel if there isn't a ref. track or a chart.
    -Tama Granstar II (12x11, 16x16, 22x16)
    -Yamaha 7000 Series (12x8, 13x9, 16x16 22x18)
    -Crush Sublime E3 (12x8, 16x14, 24x17)
    -Pearl Mixed Series kit (8x7, 10x8, 15x13, 20x14)
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -HHG Purpleheart/Cherry Stave 7x14
    -HHG Red Birch Stave 7x14
    -Pearl Masters MCX 5.5x14
    -Pearl Steel (Pre-Sensitone) 6.5x14
    -Pearl Vintage Professional Series 6.5x14
    -Tama Imperialstar Seamless Steel 6.5x14
    -Tama Soundworks Maple 6.5x14
    -Premier (African Mahogany with Beech Re-rings) 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Wuhan Traditional Cymbals
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

just go for it ,, keep it simple and have fun .. youll do fine ,, they wouldnt have ask you if they didnt think you could do it... have fun with it .. good luck..
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

have fun , drink there coffee

good luck

User Info Menu

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement guys, i was really looking forward to it until the producer phoned today to tell me the artists musical director has changed his mind and they're going with loops!! Ah well never mind, maybe some other time eh.
    “The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”
    Hunter S Thompson.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inspired View Post
    Thanks for the kind words of encouragement guys, i was really looking forward to it until the producer phoned today to tell me the artists musical director has changed his mind and they're going with loops!! Ah well never mind, maybe some other time eh.
    oh well, youll get another chance. as for not knowing the music ahead of time, this has happened to me more than a little bit. like others said, there usually not that picky with the results. And its usually small time artists who do this. They sometimes themselves don't even fully know the process involved in recording and only doing it because someone gave them the chance to do it, when they otherwise wouldn't have themselves. At least thats my experience.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by groovearteest View Post
    And its usually small time artists who do this. They sometimes themselves don't even fully know the process involved in recording and only doing it because someone gave them the chance to do it, when they otherwise wouldn't have themselves. At least thats my experience.
    Yeah that was exactly the situation, the artist is recording her first single and the label were paying my friend to produce it, he suggested me as the drummer but she didn't know the process etc and it turns out the decision was made for her. Maybe not the best way to go but not my concern now.
    “The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”
    Hunter S Thompson.