Thread: Mounting Unusual Drums

User Info Menu

Default Mounting Unusual Drums

I have a few drums that I would like to add to a percussion set-up, however I am unsure of the best way to do so. No pics at the moment so I will do my best to describe...
    The first one is a kettle drum. It looks pretty similar to a timpani except the shell is made of clay, and the bottom is totally open and a little flatter. Since it only has one head and the bottom is open, setting it on a table or similar totally kills the tone. It is literally just a skin head stretched over a clay bowl. Generally you would hold it with one hand and play with the other, using your fingers on the holding hand to change the pitch and mute the tone as well, however I would like to use both hands and/or play other things at the same time.
    The second is a bass drum of some kind, similar to a surdo from Brazil. This came with a strap to play while marching and is tuned by ropes. Two skin heads, and again if set on a surface much of the tone is gone. I am thinking of hanging it from the strap onto the bottom of a stand and maybe that will work.
    Does anyone have any ideas for other ways of mounting these? I know it's harder with no pictures but any suggestions are helpful.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mounting Unusual Drums

Welcome to DrumChat PSC90!

"I would like to use both hands and/or play other things at the same time."

kettle drum stand:

"Does anyone have any ideas for other ways of mounting these?"

surdo with legs:

Last edited by late8; 08-13-2013 at 03:25 PM.

User Info Menu

I like what late8 posted.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    I have a few drums that I would like to add to a percussion set-up, however I am unsure of the best way to do so. No pics at the moment so I will do my best to describe...
    The first one is a kettle drum. It looks pretty similar to a timpani except the shell is made of clay, and the bottom is totally open and a little flatter. Since it only has one head and the bottom is open, setting it on a table or similar totally kills the tone. It is literally just a skin head stretched over a clay bowl. Generally you would hold it with one hand and play with the other, using your fingers on the holding hand to change the pitch and mute the tone as well, however I would like to use both hands and/or play other things at the same time.
    The second is a bass drum of some kind, similar to a surdo from Brazil. This came with a strap to play while marching and is tuned by ropes. Two skin heads, and again if set on a surface much of the tone is gone. I am thinking of hanging it from the strap onto the bottom of a stand and maybe that will work.
    Does anyone have any ideas for other ways of mounting these? I know it's harder with no pictures but any suggestions are helpful.
    I'd suggest going to Gibraltar's web site. They have everything you will need to mount anything you desire.