Thread: Broken cymbals ?

User Info Menu

Default Broken cymbals ?

Anyone have any idea what to do with broken cymbals ? I have no joke about 15 severally cracked sabians mainly AA and aax 18, 19,20, 22 crashes and rides. There is no fixing them can you recycle them ? They are brass and copper right so what can you do with them ? At my practice spot I have them hanging on the wall of death cause I don't have a clue what to do with them

User Info Menu

Default Re: Broken cymbals ?

Cut them down in size or cut out the bell.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

I understand that Saluda buys and recycles used/broken cymbals.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Cut them down in size or cut out the bell.
    That's what I did with a broken Alpha crash. It made a pretty good bell. I'll probably cut down all my broken cymbals into bells, get a Gavin Harrison bell tree thing going on
    - Zack

User Info Menu

15 cracked cymbals.....you might wanna consider your technique...just sayin.

User Info Menu

It's the style of music honestly and the live shows are very very high energy. I tend to get a little crazy behind the kit and literally I've almost thrown up from playing so hard.

User Info Menu

If youre gonna play like that just buy B8s.

User Info Menu

I've only broken 2 in the past 18 years.

I think there really should be more companies recycling the alloys and offering a credit or something. Especially if it's good bronze.

It's still good material than can be melted back down and turned back into good stuff.

User Info Menu

Still. 15 cymbals in how much time? You must play like Travis Barker. He beats the crap out of his gear as well. Unless your rich, I would start buying used entry level cymbals for your gigs. Your hitting harder than is necessary anyways, right? So your obviously not worried about sound to much. Just high energy bashing. A cymbal produces the sound it was designed to emit, hitting them harder isn't going to produce a better sound. Depending on the damage you can either cut the diameter smaller all the way up to just a bell being left, or slot out the crack. But really, you should just keep on playing them. High energy playing usually doesn't equate to precise sound dynamics so who cares if the cymbals sound trashy, right? They would probably fit the style better anyways. Unless there are huge chunks missing, then it could become dangerous to your band mates.
    Last edited by wolvie56; 08-14-2013 at 10:32 PM.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

It's been over a 2 year period, I've tried b8's but they last a week I was having luck with the aax metal cymbals but I've gone through a couple of those. I've even been breaking ahead sticks can't help it when I play in front of people the Adrenaline hits and away I go lol. Most the cracks are around the bell for some reason I will usually play them till the bell falls out. I've been luck as far as cymbals and been getting them at almost cost but it still ends up being a good amount of cash

User Info Menu

Well, you seem to realize what your doing and am okay with it. The only other things I can think about is are your wing nuts to tight? Cymbals need to be able to move around, right. What angle are your cymbals at? Angle them towards you at about 30 degrees. Try and hit them with a glancing blow instead of driving through the center of your cymbals which is why they are breaking at the bell area. Your driving straight through the center, right? And you also might want to think about using Aquarian cymbal springs maybe. They eliminate the need for felts, washers, sleeves, and wing nuts, and allow your cymbals to move restriction free. Red for 16" and less size cymbals. Yellow for anything larger than 16" as well as all China pies. Look them up and read the sparkling reviews. They are designed to protect cymbals. Good luck.

Last edited by wolvie56; 08-15-2013 at 01:31 AM.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Dream have a program where you can trade in your broken cymbals for new ones (at $1 per inch or something like that). As Capn' Crunch said further up, Saluda do something similar as well.

The only cymbals I've broken are a 16" ZBT crash I had when I first started drumming (put a fair few cracks into that one) and a ZXT Trashformer at my old church. Technique is very important but.
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

Some stores will pay you 1 or 2 dollars per inch on broken cymbals if they are B20. It seems to only be available for store credit though, you can't just get cash. I think that's only at some drum stores, the larger chains of music stores don't do this.

User Info Menu

Think it'd be cool to have them melted down and make a snare shell out of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post

I'm completely for that.. Question is how ? Or who ? I can't do that lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by drmpunk View Post
    I wonder if our good friend, Mr. late8 would know. Since he's out here in Crazyfornia, he might have some insight.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AKC75 View Post
    I've only broken 2 in the past 18 years.

I think there really should be more companies recycling the alloys and offering a credit or something. Especially if it's good bronze.

It's still good material than can be melted back down and turned back into good stuff.
    The metal isn't worth that much most of the cost is in the time and craft and over head not metal
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

This month sabian is offering 20% off a cymbal when you trade in a old cymbal look on there website. That or make something cool with them like splashes ozone stuff or hammer it into a trashy sounding cymbal.
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

Man...15 cymbals in 2 years. That's a crazy amount of money wasted. You should seriously reconsider the way you approach your kit. Your wallet will thank you.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    Man...15 cymbals in 2 years. That's a crazy amount of money wasted. You should seriously reconsider the way you approach your kit. Your wallet will thank you.

How should I approach my kit ?

User Info Menu

I understand adrenaline and all, but you need to reel in your hits. You're not laying down railroad tracks, you're hitting expensive equipment.

If you like to swing around with high energy, you can still do that but just don't hit the cymbals as hard. Like others have said, there's only so much volume you can squeeze out of a cymbal. Once that limit is reached, hitting harder will only damage it.

I'm 38 now and been playing since around 15 years old. I've not once broken a cymbal in all that time. I play Pantera, Metallica, Sepultura, Testament, etc. These are all high energy bands.

It'll take a bit of time for you to re-adjust and find out where your balance between showmanship and the force you use to hit your kit. ..but trust me once you do, you'll never need to replace cymbals again.

Also, don't crash your ride. They're thicker cymbals and not made to take a crash hit. Don't over tighten them either, they need to "breathe" so to speak...let them sway to absorb the impact. Read through the suggestions posted earlier. It's all good stuff.
    Last edited by Digital; 08-15-2013 at 04:47 PM.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

How should I approach my kit ?
    Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    Well, you seem to realize what your doing and am okay with it. The only other things I can think about is are your wing nuts to tight? Cymbals need to be able to move around, right. What angle are your cymbals at? Angle them towards you at about 30 degrees. Try and hit them with a glancing blow instead of driving through the center of your cymbals which is why they are breaking at the bell area. Your driving straight through the center, right? And you also might want to think about using Aquarian cymbal springs maybe. They eliminate the need for felts, washers, sleeves, and wing nuts, and allow your cymbals to move restriction free. Red for 16" and less size cymbals. Yellow for anything larger than 16" as well as all China pies. Look them up and read the sparkling reviews. They are designed to protect cymbals. Good luck.

Either don't hit so hard or use glancing blows when you play them.
    Stolen from EddieV:

User Info Menu

My cymbals are actually very loose. I try to use glancing blows but doesn't always workout that way. To be honest now that my hardcore band is more the music I'm playing is completely different I don't see there being that problem. I went through snare heads and kick heads more than cymbals... But now such different music I don't see there being an issue I was just curious what to do with all the broken ones.

Ps I still want to melt them down and make a snare shell

User Info Menu

Thought of making a couple of cymbal stacks with your broken bronze?
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I have no idea actually...................someone who knows metal would probably know