Thread: I just had my first lesson!

User Info Menu

Default I just had my first lesson!

It's been about a month since I got my kit, and I finally had a lesson. Man, having an instructor makes such a difference!
    We spent the first 15 minutes going over my kit, shifting things around and tuning the drums. Then I found out that I was holding the sticks too tightly...suddenly hitting the hats and the bass/snare together wasn't so tough.
    We ran through basic 1-2-3-4 patterns, adding a crash or fill on the snare. At the end of the hour he had me playing simple rhythms that I have been struggling with for three weeks, and I was playing them without having to think about it (too much).
    Before he left, we went through some of the songs I want to learn how to play, and I told him that I had a song that was my "goal"...

He listened to it and said I should be playing it in a couple of weeks...I think he is putting a little too much faith in me, but it was encouraging, none the less.

My homework is to find the High Voltage album and play along

User Info Menu

Default Re: I just had my first lesson!

Very cool BlueSky! I remember my first lesson, too. You only get one first lesson, and it's cool to know that there is someone that can point you in the right direction.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

What you are doing now, with instructions, how you practice, what you practice and what you learn is going to have a lot to do on your future playing style, personal drum sound and overall drum feel. Have fun learning and don't be afraid to be creative in your playing. Good Luck.

User Info Menu

Sorry to be somewhat of a downer, but IMHO, it seems to me that with just 1 lesson under your belt, you should be working on rudiments instead of songs.

It should be basics 1st, then songs a little further down the road.

I just watched the video. If that's you, I'd say you have been playing for more than a month.
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 08-15-2013 at 05:03 AM. Reason: ===

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Sorry to be somewhat of a downer, but IMHO, it seems to me that with just 1 lesson under your belt, you should be working on rudiments instead of songs.

I just watched the video. If that's you, I'd say you have been playing for more than a month.

I can say without a shadow of a doubt that my playing didn't really start to progress until I sat down and made myself practice basic rudiments.

Triplets, paradiddles, and doubles just on my snare and practice pad for hours. Watching drum videos etc. And then trying to mimic what I saw.

Then trying to incorporate those patterns into kick, ride, hi-hat and snare. Then eventually into the toms and full kit.

I'm no pro drummer and I can't stand playing covers. But I can play with just about anyone. Besides jazz players.

Man that's hard!

User Info Menu

I wish that was me! No, I don't know that guy...and I'm a mom in my thirties.

Don't worry, I am practicing the basics...he suggested the album because the basic drum rhythm (not the fills) are along the same lines he taught me last night. Believe me, I want to be able to sit down at my kit next week and run through all the variations of the rudiments that he showed me - without dropping a beat. ( Ya gotta have goals....)

User Info Menu

Welcome to DC, BlueSky!

I think it's awesome you're taking lessons. I do have to agree though, practicing rudiments is fundamental. Single strokes, double strokes, all variations of paradiddles and flams to start.

I recommend a book called Stick Control by George Lawrence Stone for starters. You can actually download a pdf of it if you hunt around the internet a bit.

Here's one link to a pdf:

http://78.156.157.82/DOKUMENTY/Bici/....%20Stone).pdf
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Rudiments are important but so is having fun playing along to songs, you need to find a good balance.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Even after 10 years you should always do your rudiments and fundamental stuff every day
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    Rudiments are important but so is having fun playing along to songs, you need to find a good balance.
    +1, Rudiments are important but even an adult will have a hard time just playing them on a pad or snare and doing nothing else every practice session.

Just know that they are important and if you have say an hour to practice everyday than you should do atleast 30 min. of rudi's 1st before playing along to the cd. Treat it like a reward at the end of your rudiments.

Oh and welcome Bluesky, this is a great forum. Btw what brand and model kit do you have?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Nice one BlueSky! Hopefully your drum instructor will point you on the right track. As others have said though, don't forget your rudiments, these become the 'building blocks' of a lot of things that you'll be learning on the drumset.....a good instructor will show you how to master these fundamentals as well as ways to put them to use around the set, and of course they should also be able to show you how to play simple yet fun drum rhythms and grooves to get you started with. Above all, have fun, and if I haven't said it before, welcome to our forum!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by machinedrumkelly View Post
    +1, Rudiments are important but even an adult will have a hard time just playing them on a pad or snare and doing nothing else every practice session.

Just know that they are important and if you have say an hour to practice everyday than you should do atleast 30 min. of rudi's 1st before playing along to the cd. Treat it like a reward at the end of your rudiments.

Oh and welcome Bluesky, this is a great forum. Btw what brand and model kit do you have?
    That is pretty much the way I have been practicing. I finally have all the rudiments down that he showed me, working on my own variations of the 1-2-3-4...for instance the most difficult one he had me doing was bass drum on one, snare on 3 for three measures then one on bass, snare on three and four, crash/bass on one, snare on three and four, repeat, while keeping the 1-2-3-4 on the hat. Now I am adding my own variation on the 3-4, and using the ride instead of the hats, and the crash instead of the ride. You know, just getting to know my way around the kit. Of course by that time one of the kids is torturing the others and I have to stop...only had about 10 minutes total for any "song" practice.

Thanks for all the welcomes. I do love this forum, it has been great getting to "know" everyone.

My kit is a Pearl Rhythm Traveler, and I was fortunate enough to steal some Zildjian A's off CL - 14" new beat hats, 16" and 18" crashes, and 21" sweet ride. The ride looks kinda of ridiculous hanging over a 12" tom, but ya gotta start somewhere! I would have liked to get something bigger, but we didn't have the room. As is, the kit is in the space in front of a bay window in my husband and I's bedroom. Good thing its small, since I have to drag it out to the living room for lessons.

User Info Menu

Even at my old age, when I sit down to play I sometimes start off with rudiments to get me warmed up..and WTG on deciding to get lessons. just remember..practice makes perfect and perfect makes permanent!
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Congrats with your 1st lesson Blue. Keep up on the lessons on long as you can and keep practicing your rudiments and you will be jamming to that song in no time.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Cool Re: I just had my first lesson!

Congrats on that first lesson. The rudiments, as Drumbledore said, are the backbone of everything else you'll ever play. And the rest will come with time, patience, and practice.

When I took my first lesson in 1984 (in my early 30s), I think my drum teacher was almost despairing that I'd ever learn the rudiments. It took a while to get started, but it worked. Until he semi-retired as a drum instructor earlier this year due to health issues, I was his longest-running student ever (over 25 years). We became great friends and are still in touch to this day.

I hope your teacher works nearly as well for you!

(I think I put the cart before the horse, since I just responded to your crash-cymbal crash!)
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck