Thread: Looking into getting a metal snare.

User Info Menu

Default Looking into getting a metal snare.

I only have one snare, it's my 12x5.5 Mapex Black Panther Chris Adler signature snare. I've been looking for a new snare for a while, I want something pretty big probably around a 14x6.5 and I really like the sound of brass or other metal snares, so I guess i'm looking for something loud because I play metal a lot.

I was looking at the Pearl Reference brass or steel but they cost about an arm and a leg. So I was looking at the Mapex Black Panther Sledgehammer or Machete. They look really good and from what i've heard they sound awesome but is there any other metal snares out there I should consider? Also a good price is always a good thing.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you octopus?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Looking into getting a metal snare.

Some of Tama's S.L.P. line metal snares look and sound pretty good. They have demo videos on their site if you wanna hear them. And they aren't to expensive either

User Info Menu

Thanks i'll look into those! I have a Tama catalog around and seen them, maybe i'll look at them again.

User Info Menu

Update: I just looked at the Tama Starphonic bell brass it's 14x6 and it's the same story with the Pearl Reference, a beautiful sounding snare but it's twice as expensive as the Pearl. I looked at the black Brass snare, it's got a nice open sound, it's a bit warmer and a bit less focused than the others but it does sound good. So far the sledgehammer and the black brass will be what i'm looking at, but I love the look of the hammered brass shell of the Mapex.

User Info Menu

Lots of those SLPs have sounded good to m. You can also check out the performance 14x8 chrome steel snare. Black panthers are good, I saw some good Ludwigs a while back too. Go forth and try!

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

i love my Drum Craft aluminum its got a sweet tangy after taste

User Info Menu

Ludwig Black Magic, Pork Pie black brass, PDP Ace, Ludwig Supralite.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zarrdoss View Post
    Ludwig Black Magic, Pork Pie black brass, PDP Ace, Ludwig Supralite.
    +1.................all are solid snares............but I'd look for a used snare.............more bang for the buck

User Info Menu

Pearl Ian Paice Signature Snare. I used to have one and it sounded great. I will get another some day. The last time I got a quote on one from my local drum shop it was $275.00. A great price for that drum, going for $325.00 on e-bay.

User Info Menu

I went out to my music store and hit a few metal snares there was a few ludwig and a pearl one along with a few different black panther snares. I ended up deciding on the sledgehammer considering it's only going to be $425 +tax and I thought it was going to be way more. I have it on layaway now so i'll definitely post pictures when I get it.
    Also the ludwig supralite was definitely a great sounding snare. I'll definitely have to start checking out more snares and starting a bit of a collection.

User Info Menu

I find your lack of pics disturbing...
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

I'm a big fan of brass snare love their tone did you look at a black beauty ? Or bob snare from pork pie... Even a pearl free floating with brass shell

User Info Menu

Nice snare choice. That hammered shell sounds great and those stick saver hoops enhance the sound! My friend has one and it sounds tops!
    -Tama Granstar II (12x11, 16x16, 22x16)
    -Yamaha 7000 Series (12x8, 13x9, 16x16 22x18)
    -Crush Sublime E3 (12x8, 16x14, 24x17)
    -Pearl Mixed Series kit (8x7, 10x8, 15x13, 20x14)
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -HHG Purpleheart/Cherry Stave 7x14
    -HHG Red Birch Stave 7x14
    -Pearl Masters MCX 5.5x14
    -Pearl Steel (Pre-Sensitone) 6.5x14
    -Pearl Vintage Professional Series 6.5x14
    -Tama Imperialstar Seamless Steel 6.5x14
    -Tama Soundworks Maple 6.5x14
    -Premier (African Mahogany with Beech Re-rings) 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Wuhan Traditional Cymbals
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

I didn't get to hear a black beauty at the shop because there isn't that big of a selection there, I would have liked to but what can you do.

And Kazaam the pics will come once I get it fully payed off which won't be until a few months maybe because I plan on going on a trip and other stuff which will be interrupting my pay quite a bit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dirtysticks View Post
    Nice snare choice. That hammered shell sounds great and those stick saver hoops enhance the sound! My friend has one and it sounds tops!
    Thanks! And when I decided to put it on layaway the guy there said he was super jealous because he loves the look and the sound of it, can't wait to have it on my kit. Hopefully i'll be able to pay it off as soon as possible.

User Info Menu

I'm playing vintage maples right now but the best metal snare I ever had was a Supra..............you can find a used one for a good price.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Great choice on the snare!! I recall Yohin who is a longtime DC member has a Black Panther Sledgehammer. Awesome looking snare! Congrats!! Layaway is a good thing. Small incremental payments and before you know it...it's yours!!

For those of you that crave pics: