Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pdp drums

User Info Menu

Cool Pdp drums

What do you know about pdp drum sets. what do you now about the x7-7seven piece searies (orange sparkel)

thanks
    Last edited by exit67sdrummer; 11-14-2007 at 07:09 PM.

User Info Menu

I don't know much about the X7 kits other than they are poplar shells. I have had an LX set for 5 years now and have giged all over the southwest with them and they have held up beautifly. I am overly particular anyway so they still look brand new. there is not a scratch or dent on them anywhere and they are red laquer. The wrapped finishes would not be near as delicate as the laquer finishes anyway. I love the way mine sound. I have had them on stage set up next to a DW collectors set and sound differance is negligable. In fact the owner of the DW kit commented on how good they sounded and said that he is going to buy a kit like mine to gig with because they sound so good and 1/3 of the price. I am sure the X7 kits will have a distinct sound because of the shell make up, but I will wholheartedly endorse PDP's road worthyness. I will say that all of my hardware is top of the line DW 5000 and 9000. I bought the kit that way so I have no experience in how the acutual PDP pedals and HH and cymbal stands hold up over time.

User Info Menu

According to one of our members here, they sound "not so nice" because of their narrow range of tuning capabilities. Reviews from customers say that they're great entry level sets, plus you get those 7 pieces for only $700 which isn't bad. The experts, however, who aren't at entry level, say they're basically crap lol. My advice... Save your money and nice hardware for a better quality set.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

After watching a listening to Kevin's videos (pdplayer) I would assume that pdp drums are awesome. At least when Kevin plays them they sound awesome LOL

User Info Menu

I don't know that I would dismiss the X7's so easily. They may indeed sound "not so nice", but I think with the right heads and little ambition just about any drum can sound good. After all DW knows what they are doing and I can't imagine they would market a kit that doesn't sound good. There is too much at stake with their reputation to do that. PDP kits have never been accused in mass of not sounding good. there have been some questions concerning hardware issues and quality control but never about that they didn't sound good. Take a good look at them and see what you think. They may be the kit for you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick View Post
    After watching a listening to Kevin's videos (pdplayer) I would assume that pdp drums are awesome. At least when Kevin plays them they sound awesome LOL
    Most of the PDP lines are more of a beginner to mid but to my knowledge, Kevin's are top of the line for PDP which are quite nice in sound and looks. There's plenty of pros using this line that runs in the mid to upper 1000's(depending where you buy them). They're still considerably cheaper than any straight up DW kit. Blessings........

User Info Menu

God don't get the Orange Sparkle finish please, it hurts my eyes. The silver to black fade is much better <---Not biased.

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    According to one of our members here, they sound "not so nice" because of their narrow range of tuning capabilities.
    Hi there :D They are not narrow as in a single range of tuning but compared to what I was really looking forward to (Session+ series type sound, which for the price might be a little over what I paid for) but they weren't able to tune as low as I wanted them (to be fair I am a metal drummer and I do need my toms to be as low as possible without getting a dead sound) and they would choke a little easier than mahogany when it came to tuning them tightly.
    Last edited by Roger; 11-16-2007 at 04:38 AM.

User Info Menu

I understand, Roger. I like my toms really deep sounding as well, so I don't think poplar would cut it for me in the first place.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    I understand, Roger. I like my toms really deep sounding as well, so I don't think poplar would cut it for me in the first place.
    do you have 1 rack tom or two rack toms?
    LucidDrummer212, Taking over the drumchat forums 1 post at a time...

myspace.com/rdsspike345

User Info Menu

All I am going to say about pdp is my own experience, I own there LXE series kit, it is there top of the line kits, and it is absolutely amazing, I have never played a better set, It sounds incredible, has tons of Tuning ranges, the hardware I think besides DW is the best out there, the tom mounting system is absolutely the best, the finishes are gorgeous, you have endless set-up possibilities, I tuned my drums approx 3mths ago when I changed my heads and I kid you not, I have not had to retune my drums since, that alone should tell you something about the quality.

Hands down the best set of drums I have ever played, and I have played in the same quality level and price range, Tama, Pearl, Yamaha and Ddrum and I am tellin ya these blow them all away.

User Info Menu

I agree with you PDP player. As I've stated earlier, I've had my PDP LX kit for 5 years and have steadily giged them since and have heard nothing but rave reviews about them from others associated with me, from other drummers, band mates, other musicians. I can't count the number of complimants I have gotten concerning the sound, look and build quality of my kit. They are great drums handsdown, especially for the investment.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LucidDrummer212 View Post
    Currently two, on my PDP X7 I had three, though right now I have my kit set up as a 4pc.

User Info Menu

didnt someone on here ask about the x7's because they could get them real cheap second hand...... what did they get told i forget? :S
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LucidDrummer212 View Post
    Technically I have three rack toms and no floor tom lol. They're 10" 12" and 14" but the 14 needs to be mounted.

User Info Menu

Just noticed he wasn't asking me 32nd lol.

User Info Menu

Default PDP X7's are perfect so far

Hey guys! I am new to this forum stuff and I own the X& Orange Sparkle. I have a few things to say about them. 1. I don't think these are "entry level by any means". @. If you like to sit around all day and put down PDP stuff instead of playing out onem which is the true test, by all means do. As far as tunin ramnge have you considered different heads? The ones that came on my kit are crappy Chinese Remos? I get really low lows on my 18" with evans CS' and the stock resos.
    I think the poplar wood remends me of the old school three ply Ludwigs for some reason. and the laquer really helps resonate. We all know they are low priced. I got mine for $580.00 out the door! But I think that DW is trying to help the poor drummer here. My kick has the Super kick 2 and the stock reso and it's a canon. I mean Boom. 808 style. So what the hell is everybody talking about. You can't beat this kit. Stop complaining if you don't own one and don't listen to this hearsay. PDP please give me an endorsement. Ha ha! Happy holidays everyone. This is an awesome set of drums. You just have to improvise and customize.
    www.myspace.com/dougdenada and www.myspace.com/sparklerdims

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by doug denada View Post
    Hey guys! I am new to this forum stuff and I own the X& Orange Sparkle. I have a few things to say about them. 1. I don't think these are "entry level by any means". @. If you like to sit around all day and put down PDP stuff instead of playing out onem which is the true test, by all means do. As far as tunin ramnge have you considered different heads? The ones that came on my kit are crappy Chinese Remos? I get really low lows on my 18" with evans CS' and the stock resos.
    I think the poplar wood remends me of the old school three ply Ludwigs for some reason. and the laquer really helps resonate. We all know they are low priced. I got mine for $580.00 out the door! But I think that DW is trying to help the poor drummer here. My kick has the Super kick 2 and the stock reso and it's a canon. I mean Boom. 808 style. So what the hell is everybody talking about. You can't beat this kit. Stop complaining if you don't own one and don't listen to this hearsay. PDP please give me an endorsement. Ha ha! Happy holidays everyone. This is an awesome set of drums. You just have to improvise and customize.
    www.myspace.com/dougdenada and www.myspace.com/sparklerdims
    First off WELCOME to the best drum forum on the planet.

Second I whole heartedly agree with you, I own the PDP LXE series and I have never played a better set, PDP is top notch gear.

User Info Menu

Welcome Doug. Nice to have you here! Blessings........

User Info Menu

Hi Doug Denada. It's good to have you here at Drum Chat. And in reference to your name, you're welcome too!

BTW, thanks for sticking up for PDP. I think they've got a good think going too.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Damn you guys are friendly over here. Thanx. Check out the myspace band and profile if you got's anything music or band stuff to talk about. Cheers!

User Info Menu

Doug, I saw the links, and will check out your sites, but I hope that you will bring your music conversations in here, so that we can all join in. We share thoughts, tips, and encourage one another. When we post, we allow everyone to benefit from the conversation.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

i have had a PDP cx kit (maple shells) and i love it to death sound and looks wise. the 900 series PDP hardware is very beefy and very inexpensive.

User Info Menu

i also have the cx kit but unfortunaly i havent had as great of an experiance as pdp or rogers i just bearly got my kick to sound the way i want it to today(mostly because i dont want to buy new kick heads yet.) but i had a lot of trubble tuneing my rack toms i finaly got them there and they do have a vary broad rang of tuneing posibilitys. but the mounting system is both a blessing and a curse. it let me take my toms of my kick and place them on a stand so i could have a straght forward setting sorta like a dbl bass with just one bass. but the mounts pull on the tenshion rods and make it tuff to tune, pluss it afects the sound and tenshion while hanging. as for hardware, every thing but the hi hat stand and peddal that i have from pdp is top notch, best possible quality at low prices, as for the peddals ive worn though three pdp single pedals and broke a pdp dbl pedal, and the hi hat stands lossen when played alot. other than that and if you know your way around a tuneing key then these are great.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Drummerdavie, do you have the old rims style mounts on your CX? I can't imagine how your tunning rods would effect the tunning unless you were attemping to tune the drums excessively lower than they will tune naturally. by that I mean that the heads and rods are really loose so that the rims mounts and weight of the drum are adversly pulling on the rods to affect the tuning. I have the same rims mounts and I have never noticed a problem like this so I an curious as to what might be the problem. I also have my 14" and 16" floor toms suspended with rims mounts and put on a DW 9000 double tom stand, Steve Gadd style. And the weight of those drums have never had the problem you have described.

User Info Menu

i have my 12" tom and 14" floor tom mounted on thier own stands and they are not affected by the rim mounts, also my friend has the other older mounts and he doesnt have that problem either!? i had minor troubles tuning my drums when i got them especially the kick but after throwing some remo ambassadors on the batter side of my toms and a remo powersonic on the kick i had them all at the sweet spot in no time. i have never owned a pdp pedal i went for the DW9000 right away.