Thread: right hand goes numb playing

User Info Menu

Default right hand goes numb playing

and hurts too. I have been warming up before I practice but my hand goes numb and hurts while playing i do not hold my sticks tight at all. I am using my wrist while playing just not sure what to do. When I was younger I did use graphit stick for years not sure if that is the issue or not.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Default Re: right hand goes numb playing

Seek the advice of a medical professional ASAP. The numbness in your hand(s) could be a sign of nerve damage.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Seek the advice of a medical professional ASAP. The numbness in your hand(s) could be a sign of nerve damage.
    +1

You need to be able to tell the doc what makes it go numb (other than playing) - is it worse when you hold it a certain way...does anything make it feel better (or worse)...does it feel different when you are using different techniques...everything you can think of. You might want to bring your sticks to your appointment, so the doc can see exactly how you are holding them and where they hit on your nerve paths.

Good luck and keep us updated!
    "Well-behaved women rarely make history."
    -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, 1976

User Info Menu

you might have carpel tunnel or nerve damage !!!!

just to voice the same as the other members , see a doctor and don't take this bit of advice the wrong way, get your grip checked by a pro

User Info Menu

You need to talk to a doctor. That sounds like tendinitis the tendons get inflamed and push on the nerve causing numb sensation, but seriously go to the doctor

User Info Menu

Get thee to a doctor pronto.

You don't mess with your hands.

User Info Menu

Ok I will see a Dr. also hurts when I paint the walls in my house. Some times at practice with the band as time goes on it will feel alittle better.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

As an older drummer I found my rt. hand becoming numb when doing a Lot of cymbal pounding and , later, hihat work. I changed my ride height and repositioned it, also did the same for my hats, adding an X-hat into the mix. I changed my posture, too and the problems went away. I was pinching shoulder nerves while playing the hats, cymbal work pinched my forearm nerves up to the elbow.
    If you try changing your approach and that doesn't help, then see a doc.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Do you smoke?

I used to smoke heavily and I got carpel tunnel symptoms a lot when using the computer. The blood flow was restricted. A few weeks after I quit it stopped.

User Info Menu

I don't smoke. I found if I warm up good it does not hurt or go numb. Just hard to do at practice at the bass player's house.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    As an older drummer I found my rt. hand becoming numb when doing a Lot of cymbal pounding and , later, hihat work. I changed my ride height and repositioned it, also did the same for my hats, adding an X-hat into the mix. I changed my posture, too and the problems went away. I was pinching shoulder nerves while playing the hats, cymbal work pinched my forearm nerves up to the elbow.
    If you try changing your approach and that doesn't help, then see a doc.
    I know this is a super old thread but thought I would chime in here. Slinglander, when you adjusted your ride cymbal and it went away do you remember if you went lower or higher or? I guess I can just mess around with it to see if I can make it better. It only seems to happen when I'm playing the ride cymbal and not the hi hat.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy2015 View Post
    I know this is a super old thread but thought I would chime in here. Slinglander, when you adjusted your ride cymbal and it went away do you remember if you went lower or higher or? I guess I can just mess around with it to see if I can make it better. It only seems to happen when I'm playing the ride cymbal and not the hi hat.
    Kevin, are you experiencing the pain while playing your Roland Ekit or just playing drums in general?