Thread: Bass drum hoop compatable with any brand set?

User Info Menu

Default Bass drum hoop compatable with any brand set?

Hello everyone, my names Chris and I am just getting back into drumming. I messed around with drumming when I was 16 and had a Slingerland drum set I picked up for cheap back then. It Unfortunately I lost interest and gave the set to my nephew who wanted something to play on.

I recently just started getting the bug to try and learn to play again so, not wanting to ask for my old set back I found a cheap Gammon set on craigslist. The heads were pitted badly and the cymbals were very cheap and flimsy but it did make noise. After my sister found out I bought a set she told me I could of had my old set back if she knew I was taking up drumming again. Since my nephew never got interested in playing after I gave him the set, I ended up asking for it back. It was nice to see the old girl again. So after about 10 years, my old set came back to me. It came back in the exact same condition I gave it to him in. It had sabian cymbals that sounded a million times better than the crap ones of the Gammon. The heads were Remo and sounded nicers too. The bass drum is a 20" bass and is missing the resonator head. It came that way when I bought it back many years ago although it did come with the hoop for the resonator side. Now here is my issue. That hoop is God knows where now. Knowing my mom, it has been tossed out when they cleaned out their basement and is long gone.

Basically where I am getting at is, can I just go buy any 20" drum hoop and it will work with my set? I want to put a resonator head on and replace all the heads since they are 16 plus years old. I would need to get the screws and brackets that also hold the hoop tight to the body as they are gone too. I did actually find someone selling a Slingerland 20" base drum shell with two hoops for $68 plus $30 shipping. To top it off, it is the exact same finish as mine, light blue pearl so it would match although the hoops look a little beat up. Also this set is from the 60's and my is in between the 70-80's Just not sure if it's worth it to spend $100 and get an extra hoop and bass drum shell that match my set or should I just spend $60 and get one hoop that is for a different brand drum set. Would a different brand hoop work or not? I found a metal one that looks to be the same size as the old one and it would be $30 shipped. Is there an advantage to a metal hoop versus a wooden one?

Anyways I rambled on long enough. Thanks for the help guys.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bass drum hoop compatable with any brand set?

Most hoops will fit on "Most" drums....................some companies make thicker hoops that may be an issue if your claws won't fit on them.

IMO, the best thing to do is buy locally and try it before you spend your money.

Good Luck

User Info Menu

Yah, 99% of the time I don't think you will have an issue. Just make sure, if you even have them, the bass drum claws will fit over the hoop. The claw is the piece that the screw goes through to hold the hoop on.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

What they said^^^.

I have about 5 extra metal hoops laying around from sets that I bought for parts. They all fit any of my bass drums (all 22"). Metal hoops (especially used ones) tend to get bent, but they can be straightened. Wood hoops are more expensive, but look better IMO and sound better from what I'm told. You can buy new hoops, claws and lug bolts from any of the drum building supply places on the Internet, as well as most local music stores. Good luck!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    What they said^^^.

Metal hoops (especially used ones) tend to get bent, but they can be straightened. Wood hoops are more expensive, but look better IMO and sound better from what I'm told. You can buy new hoops, claws and lug bolts from any of the drum building supply places on the Internet, as well as most local music stores. Good luck!
    This could cover it and you should be able to get everything very easily.

Welcome to Drum Chat. I hope you stick around and get to know the group.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

hey THH, most will work and believe most if not all tension rod threads should work in the Sling lugs. I would buy that other kick drum!. Seems like it was there just waiting for you. Same size, brand and finish?, how lucky can you get.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    hey THH, most will work and believe most if not all tension rod threads should work in the Sling lugs. I would buy that other kick drum!. Seems like it was there just waiting for you. Same size, brand and finish?, how lucky can you get.
    Excellent point.....I wouldn't pass up the chance to buy a second bass drum if it exactly matches your existing set. That would be the perfect opportunity to make a double bass kit!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

wow, thanks for all the help guys. Yea I am going to try and go after that bass drum for sure. It would be perfect for me and I never thought about making a double bass set. That would be an awesome idea. Thanks for the help guys. I will let you know how it all turns out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TheHeadlessHorseman View Post
    wow, thanks for all the help guys. Yea I am going to try and go after that bass drum for sure. It would be perfect for me and I never thought about making a double bass set. That would be an awesome idea. Thanks for the help guys. I will let you know how it all turns out.
    YES I would do the same thing.. keep it OEM if at all possible. good luck and welcome back to the fantastic world of drumming we all live in .
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Just to give you guys an update, I won the bass drum, so soon I will have a spare. I eventually am going to go double bass with it, but that means I than have to find another matching bass drum hoop lol. But for the time being, I am gonna use one of the hoops to put a resonance head on my bass drum and I order some slingerland bass drum claws too. Once I get better at drumming and get to the point where I feel I am ready for double bass, I will finish the other bass drum and buy heads and claws and a hoop for it.