Thread: Jerry Mercer

User Info Menu

Default Jerry Mercer

Gerald "Jerry" Mercer is a Canadian rock drummer, best known for his work with the groups Mashmakhan and April Wine

Born: April 27, 1939 (age 74), Newfoundland, Canada

Music groups: April Wine (1973 – 2008), Mashmakhan, Lee Aaron

Retired 2008.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Jerry Mercer

Very cool.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Yes they are a cool band if you were from that era you would remember some of their hit songs if not check out Youtube to see them.

Jerry was a very loud hitting drummer and you could hear him pretty darn good. Was known for his exploding drum solos that the fans requested at all his concert.
    Sample of their songs:

Sign of the Gypsy Queen
    You Could've of been a lady
    Just between you and me
    I like to rock
    Bad side of the moon.
    You won't dance with me.

User Info Menu

Jerrys "monolith" drums
    (carbonite i believe")
    were amongst the loudest...

1st time i heard chad smith (red hot chili peppers)
    is today one of the loudest i've ever heard...
    Because of his attack,,,,
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Yes, I was aware of the drums. I have looked everywhere to find dealer with no success maybe they discontinued making them.

I met a man a few years back that moved into my area and claims to be a very good friend of Jerry for the last 40 years. Since retirihg Jerry has been a busy man travelling with his wife in his RV he tells me. Jerrypromised his friend that he would be up for a visit one of these days and when he does I will meet him in person. Fingers crossed X maybe get some pointers from him and look over my MCX and maybe a little solo. Only time will tell till I meet him.

User Info Menu

I saw him live a few times, he was indeed a powerhouse. I think he played on Milestones when I saw him.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Yes he is a powerhouse. He has a solo clip of his last concert on youtube and he has a whistle in his mouth that he co-ordinates into his solo. Quite the showman. I believe he lives in the Belleville area so that would not be far from the Milestones in Vaughan Ontario.

User Info Menu

Good pick Pearl Man. I was just checking out some videos of April Wine online and then came here to DC to see if anyone created of post on Jerry Mercer. April Wine is one of my all time favorite bands!
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Jerry Mercer

Quote Originally Posted by DrummerD View Post
    Good pick Pearl Man. I was just checking out some videos of April Wine online and then came here to DC to see if anyone created of post on Jerry Mercer. April Wine is one of my all time favorite bands!
    Yes, they were with Jerry at helm of the drums. Jerry deserves to be known as one of the greatest Canadian drummer to have played with April Wine for over 35 years. He is now retired and enjoying his life north of Belleville Ontario.

Correction
    Jerry lives in Bath, Ontario 30km north of Kingston.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 01-25-2014 at 07:44 AM.

User Info Menu

Set of Milestones for sale in town here.

User Info Menu

anyone else think he looks a little like Mick Fleetwood in that picture?

Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

He had the first set of blue vistalites that I ever saw. April Wine played in our hometown a lot. Great band.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Here is something that I forgot to mention about Jerry.
    When April Wine where inducted into the Canadian Music Industry Hall of Fame in 2010 Jerry was not there. He had quit the band in 2008 and the new drummer was inducted with the band. It is sad that Jerry who played 37 years did not get the recognition that he deserves for devoting those years to April Wine.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 01-25-2014 at 09:05 AM.