Thread: First time recording set up what do i get?

User Info Menu

Default First time recording set up what do i get?

Ive been thinking about getting the zoom h4n and 2 mics. what mics would be the best and what else do i need to know? and also what two drums should i mic i have a 5 piece kit

Recording Drums

User Info Menu

Default Re: First time recording set up what do i get?

If your running a ZoomH4 you dont need anything else. Just put it about 4-5feet in front of your kit and press record. If your kit sounds good the condensors on the H4 will do a great job recording it.

User Info Menu

if you want to use all 4 tracks i suggest to get a cheap kick mic and snare mic for the extra 2 channels

if at all possible use the internal mics as overheads ..it will make it sound more stereo ..but like NR said out the front is fine

User Info Menu

after recording how do you edit the audio and what program? im on a pc

User Info Menu

Audacity its free, and you can get some great quality stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Audacity its free, and you can get some great quality stuff.
    With Audacity, in order to make MP3s, you'll need the "LAME" plug in. It doesn't have to be installed but it does have to exist on your computer and inside the Audacity properties you need to point to the location of the LAME file.

If you need any help with that, let me know.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

thanks for the info. what snare and bass mics would you guys suggest?

User Info Menu

I use the Sennheiser 602 (mounted internal with the MAY micing system) for the bassdrum, and Sennheiser 604's for the tom and floor also internal mounted with MAY. I use also a 604 for the snare but on a clip as I like to exchange the snare every know and then. I would definitely go with the Sennheisers, imo, best mics (price/quality) out there.
    Last edited by Pearldrummer; 09-17-2013 at 12:55 PM.
    • Crush Limited Reserve Wenge
    • DW Collectors
    • Sakae Pac-D
    • Roland TD-9
    • Zildjian K/A Cymbals
    • Crush, DW, Pork Pie, Trick Snares
    • MAY Sennheiser, Audio Technica Internal Mics
    • Gibraltar 9600 hardware
    • Protection Racket/RoadRunner Touring cases

User Info Menu

ive been looking at mics all day and im thinking about getting the sure sm57 for the snare. For the bass i came across the CAD KBM412 as a good option but the reviews are either really good or really bad. Is this kick mic worth it and if not whats a good one for around 100$?

User Info Menu

I, for sure, would avoid the CAD's, Nady's etc, you are going to regret it if you are looking for a good bass drum sound. I would suggest the Shure PG52 XLR, a little bit over a 100 but well worth the money. For the snare, if you wanna go cheap, I would go with the shure PG56. You then have a bass and snare mic for less as 200 bucks. For a 100 more you have the Sennheisers, which I believe are blowing the shures out of the water. Just remember that the right choice of heads, will increase the sound. The mics don't make your set sound good, but a quality mic vs a cheap mic will definitely have a huge impact on the sound when blowing though a PA.
    Last edited by Pearldrummer; 09-17-2013 at 06:19 PM.
    • DW Collectors
    • Sakae Pac-D
    • Roland TD-9
    • Zildjian K/A Cymbals

User Info Menu

Thanks I'll probably get that bass mic. For the snare would you pick the shure PG56 over the sure sm57?

User Info Menu

I would. It's a snare/tom mic, it's easy to mount on the rim of the snare with a clip, instead of the big 57 getting in the way; at least that is my experience.
    • DW Collectors
    • Sakae Pac-D
    • Roland TD-9
    • Zildjian K/A Cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearldrummer View Post
    I would. It's a snare/tom mic, it's easy to mount on the rim of the snare with a clip, instead of the big 57 getting in the way; at least that is my experience.
    I'm using the EV drum mic pack, but I've found the SM57 just sounds better on the snare. I just picked up a used Shure 57-52drum mic package, but haven't used it yet.

The 57 is longer, but I tuck it under the hats and it's not in the way..................here's a few pics, not too easy to see, but you'll get the idea.

User Info Menu

When first recording, to many mics will become a hinderence. Learn to get a good sound with minimal mics first and go forward from there.

User Info Menu

I dont think 57 are that bulky or to long You can always get a 90degree mic attachment
    Last edited by itchie; 09-18-2013 at 10:35 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    When first recording, to many mics will become a hinderence. Learn to get a good sound with minimal mics first and go forward from there.
    this is good advice... a good pair of overheads well placed will get you most of the way there for your recorded sound. i'd start with the best pair of overheads you can afford and then build from there. next get a kick mic, then snare and then toms.

User Info Menu

I hardly see how four mics is a hindrance considering two are fixed and two is the max inputs available
    Last edited by itchie; 09-24-2013 at 09:04 AM. Reason: spelling